PDA

View Full Version : Why use a nickname on a forum? But use your real name on FacebooK?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mike Phillips
03-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Why use a nickname on a forum? But use your real name on Facebook?

I've never understood the me-to pattern for using nicknames when joining forums. Sure I get it when a guy that owns a 2002 Malibu joins a forum and for a forum nickname goes with 02Malibu but why not just go with your actual name?

I can trace my first post to this thing we all call the Internet back to 1994. Below is the link to that article. It's something I wrote while working for Hewlett-Packard in Corvallis, Oregon when the Internet was BRAND NEW. Discusson forum software like I'm typing on right now didn't exist back then. Instead there was something called the Usenet Newsgroups and I wrote this article and posted to a group called

rec.autos.misc

It's a horrible article as whatever software I typed it in didn't have Spell Check and I see tons of spelling mistakes as well as grammar mistakes. Plus a shoddy job of expressing comprehensive stream of thought. But I think it's kind of cool that someone n the MR2.com website liked it enough back in 1994 to preserve it as a webpage on their site. My guess is the person that did this is no longer even a part of the MR2.com website as people come and go and it's been 23 years since I wrote and posted this article.

How to Polish Paint by Hand (http://mr2.com/TEXT/paint_polish.txt)

The point of sharing the above is even way back then I posted under my real name, Mike Phillips. And when I joined my first discussion forum I joined under Mike Phillips. There's a couple of reasons for this,

1: I don't do stupid stuff online so I don't mind posting under my real name.

2: Posting or writing under your real name causes a person to conform to some sort of accountability. It keeps you honest among your peers.

3: Using your real name brands you. There's no benefit in branding fuzybunny77.

4: Using your real name is form of leading by example.

There's probably a few other reasons I can come up with but the above is of the top of my head.

Historical reasons for using a nickname
When the Internet was first introduced, people would join a forum using a nickname for all kinds of reasons, some would be nefarious, that is they intend to cause trouble and they don't want to be held accountable. For others, it's the idea of protecting their privacy.

Now that can make sense, protecting one's privacy. But then this thing called Facebook came a long and EVERYONE jumped on that bandwagon. And when joining Facebook you join with your real first and last name. Yes I know a few people that have made up first and last names and I know some people have a business name for their business Facebook page.

But you can't argue with the fact that the majority of people, that is the MASSES have jumped on the FB Bandwagon and have used their first and last name to create an account.

Even more... they include all sorts of personal information with their account and then post things like what their doing, where their going and even what they're eating!

It's so far from the excuse used for using a nickname when joining a forum that it's laughable.

Change your mind?
If you're reading this and you've been thinking about changing from using a nickname to your real name or a name that brands your detailing business then here's what you can do.

Simple send me an e-mail or PM and type out EXACTLY what you want your forum name to be and I can and will make the change for you.

You don't have to use your first and last name, instead you can do like my buddy Frank does and use your first name and first initial of your last name. Frank goes by FrankS on our forum. He could have went by Frank S or Frank S.

And it's nice for anyone that's in this for the long run to know who they are talking to or rather typing to.

It's up to you I'm just saying for what it's worth... I've always thought forum nicknames were silly. I think ONE GUY started it and everyone else fell in line.

That's my take...

:cheers:

KirkH
03-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Using my real name tends to keep me from saying something on a forum that I would not say to someone's face :doh:

Mike Phillips
03-07-2017, 09:48 AM
For any new members into the future...

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23241-brand-yourself-brand-your-forum-nickname-brand-your-business-name.html)

If you have not read this article, give it a read-through...

And this one is good too...

How to choose a name for your detailing business (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/22283-how-choose-name-your-detailing-business.html)

:)

Mantilgh
03-07-2017, 09:58 AM
I thought about this the other day when I PMed you my info.

For me, I've had what seemed to be a credible threat to my life at one point. Although it's been around 20 years since the incident, I still have trouble putting my name out there, and now I also have a family to worry about.

Does it seem silly that I'm still "hiding" after 20 yrs? Yes, somewhat, but I haven't forgotten and I'm sure he hasn't either.

Maybe someday I'll come out of hiding.:bolt:

dlc95
03-07-2017, 10:15 AM
I think that would be the approach for someone wanting an online identity. Someone like me will never be anyone in the real derailing world. I have my little niche, and client list, but I have no aspirations for astronomical notoriety.

Thinks like Facebook were originally (for me) to keep in touch with friends, family, and close business associates, which it's gotten way, way far from. In this forum setting, It seemed more casual, and a way to produce some distance from nefarious attacks that could arise from "the outside".

My firsts posts are from 2006 on a cymbal (Paiste) forum. I went as Drumdan because I was in a band with two Dans (Bassdan/Drumdan) and it stuck. I joined the Meguiar's forum in 2007 under that name. I thought about changing it to the one I have here, but I'm not sure how to do that.

As far as be people being able to see pics, I will either send them, or direct them to my FB page.

TMQ
03-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Many moons ago when I first started out in forums, they said one needed a nickname. At the time had no clue as to why. Though it was some sort of
special computer thing you had to do. I started out on a chopper website (Hondachoppers). The website asked for a user name and password. Had no clue what that
all meant. Had a chopper called "roadrat" (was small name painted on the bike from previous owner). So I just took that and to this day I
used Roadrat everywhere on the internet because it was just easy to remember.

Since completing the competition ready class a couple weeks ago and I do have plans to begin my 2nd career, I knew "Roadrat" wasn't going to cut it.
I was shifting between just using my name Tom or my initials TMQ. Decided just to do the initials for now.

But yeah, If one is going to get any credibility, I'll go with a TMQ rather having a roadrat touching my car!!! Smile...

Tom

Desertnate
03-07-2017, 12:35 PM
I like to keep as low as an on-line profile as possible for the safety of myself and my family due to my profession. I use the same alias in many places, but nothing that would link back to a real name or location.

While, I did post a couple times on the Facebook page, I'm inclined not to do that any more. I use FB strictly to keep in touch with close friends and family and lock down every possible option on my profile. Even then, with the way that platform is moving and the lack of meaningful content (not Autogeeks page, but the platform in general), I'm almost never there.

If I was to start moving to doing this as a business, I'd really have to start re-thinking my approach.

Mike@ShineStruck
03-07-2017, 12:39 PM
I've always had the same user name for all my forums
Weather it be p2p filesharing
Car sites
Car Audio
Etc..
And just put my real name in my signature..
Just seemed like forum etiquette..

I usually had my school Nickname in my FB ..And MySpace account back in the day..
My new one I just used my real name since I have 2 FB accounts .

But yes I've been thinking about changing my name for months, just never looked Into it
I'm sure I can find posts from 99 from zeropaid and unite the cows dot com lol
I was well known in the file sharing scene..Same with V8buick but no where near like zeropaid

PurpleTowel
03-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Real names are personal, sure, but the internet is notoriously impersonal. People are rarely held accountable, and that goes both ways. If I say something that someone doesn't like for whatever reason, I'd rather not have them show up at my house or place of work. People are crazy, and if I can do something to mitigate my public view and risk, then I will. Not everyone here is a detailing business.

I'm already tweaked about my personal phone number and address spammed all over the web because when I registered my small, home/online business with my county, they decided to sell a local business mailing list to thousands for a few bucks without my permission. Besides the multiple daily telemarketer calls, I have to worry about a Google search turning up my home location to any wacko with a computer.

I'm perfectly content staying off the internet forum radar if at all possible.

KirkH
03-07-2017, 01:22 PM
We have always been vulnerable to stalking attacks. We used to have phone books with everyone's name, address and phone number. If you own a home, that is public record. If you drive a car, that is public record. If you have been arrested, that is public record. Those records have your personal identifying information, such as your address, that anyone can get, either online or by walking into the county courthouse.

It is false security if you think you are being anonymous on the internet.

FUNX650
03-07-2017, 01:40 PM
I think nicknames (NNs) are very
important in "social" relationships.

Thus:
The offshoot of NNs' appearance in many
"social media" relationships, seems, to
me, to have been a natural evolvement.

Bob

Jaretr1
03-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Ive been JaretR1 since I joined the interwebs. Its my name and last name initial with a 1 (because Im #1). Well not really. A job I was at when I joined AOL for the first time back in the days of dialup, my name to sign into their system was JaretR. I think JaretR was taken on AOL (can you imagine) so I added a 1 and it took it. Ive been JaretR1 ever since. And yes, I still use AOL for email. Why change at this point?

Guyb
03-07-2017, 04:31 PM
When I joined the forum I used my middle name that I go by and my last name initial. I didn't want to join Facebook when I did. My wife tried to join and she got rejected for our last name. I tried to join to see what the issue was and so had to argue that that was my real last name. So on Facebook it has my first name that I never use. Guyb is what I use on all forums that I belong.

WAXOFF
03-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Well you're Mike Phillips on here because you are The Man Mike Phillips detailing king of the universe. We are all just little asteroids floating out in space. Hey I picked my name because I felt it was detailed related.

PurpleTowel
03-07-2017, 05:37 PM
It is false security if you think you are being anonymous on the internet.

Yes, and people can steal your credit card info at the counter of Best Buy if they really want to steal from you. I believe that the less you do to open yourself up to dangerous and unknown contact through the interwebs, the better. I'm not a paranoid person by any stretch of the imagination, but there is no need to expose yourself to risk unnecessarily.