PDA

View Full Version : Need a favor from a GG6 owner that has a decibel meter app

Pages : [1] 2

Coach Steve
03-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Hey everybody,

My GG6 latest version, is ridiculously loud and most of the noise is being produced by the gears and not as m,uch the motor - if that makes sense. I've read the posts of others who had concerns about the increased noise level vs their previous machines and I get it... they're louder. I get it. However, since the only real way to confirm whether or not mine is louder than I feel it should be is to use a controlled comparison i.e., a decibel meter app.
I just am not comfortable accepting that the noise level mine is emitting is "normal" and end up burning it out. I understand it's covered under warranty but I can't send it in if there isn't some kind of proof that something isn't right.

I chose Sound Meter & Noise Detector 2017 Ver. 1.2 for Android. It's free.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=coocent.app.tools.soundmeter.noisedetec tor&hl=en

We can figure out the control steps once I get somebody to volunteer to help me out. I would really appreciate any help you are willing to offer with this.

Thanks,
Coach

Eldorado2k
03-06-2017, 11:17 PM
I don't have a GG6... But I did confirm the noise between the HF DA and the G21.

I'd be willing to bet good money that the HF DA works better than the PC.

And as far as the noise factor... I just did an equal test between the HF DA and the Griots Boss 21. Both had a 5" backing plate on without a pad. Both on speed 5 the same exact distance from my phone.

Both clocked in @87 decibels.

My HF DA is just about as smooth as my Boss during the free spin.

How does your GG6 compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackMDX
03-06-2017, 11:51 PM
I'm in PA, so can't help tonight but I'll give you a reading from a real sound meter in the morning. At what distance did you take your reading?

Coach Steve
03-06-2017, 11:52 PM
I don't have a GG6... But I did confirm the noise between the HF DA and the G21.

How does your GG6 compare?

If the HF is like a Prius, my GG6 sounds like a Chevy 427 with no exhaust system. seriously, it's loud enouggh that I wear ear plugs when I'm using it. The thing is, it wasn't this loud when I first started using it about 6 mos. ago. There wasn't a gradual increase in sound. It was like one day it was what I considered to be appropriate for the power it has and the next time I used it it was noticeably louder. Nothing has changed performance-wise. The thing that concerns me is most of the noise is coming from the gears rather than the electric motor.
I'll shoot a quick video and upload it so others can understand what I mean by the gears making most of the noise.

Coach Steve
03-06-2017, 11:53 PM
I'm in PA, so can't help tonight but I'll give you a reading from a real sound meter in the morning. At what distance did you take your reading?
Let's call it 6" and thanks!

BlackMDX
03-07-2017, 12:02 AM

O.K. In fact I'll give you two readings, one from my sound meter, and another from an iPhone app. I'll have to download one because I've never had a need, but now I'm curious to see how close the readings wifi be.

BlackMDX
03-07-2017, 12:05 AM

Another control question. What speed setting on the GG6?

Firehouse Mike
03-07-2017, 02:10 AM
A sudden increase in noise may be an indication of a bearing going out. I would give Griots a call and talk to their tech support guys. I'm sure you can get a new one from them. My GG6 is actually quieter than my G21.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/category/customer+service/ask+a+question.do

Mike

BlackMDX
03-07-2017, 10:23 AM
O.K. Coach, here's some data for you. I'm not going to bother providing the iphone reading because the app suggests trimming the settings using a real sound meter for calibration. Without the calibration the app numbers were running about 4db higher. And of course, after the trimming was added they were the same. So, here is the data from the sound meter using the "A" scale, "slow response", and average reading.

Speed Setting 3: From 6" 86db; From 3' 82db
Speed Setting 6: From 6" 87db; From 3' 84db

A little info about my GG6. It is about 6 months old, and has been used to polish and wax two full size SUV's. I have not noticed any change in noise level since new. I have always had to wear hearing protection when using it in a closed environment such as my garage.

Hope you find this info helpful. What kind of readings have you been getting?

Ceerokz
03-07-2017, 04:00 PM
My GG6 is a yr old. Sound the same and it's loud. Always have my ear plugs or iPod on me..

Coach Steve
03-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Sorry for the delayed replies.
I didn't realize the site was still having issues with notifications of new responses.

My reading was 89-90db from 6" on speed 6 so I guess, it was just my imagination playing tricks on me about the increased sound. If nothing else, maybe this thread will be helpful for others who have the same concerns about the loudness of their machines.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It's encouraging to hear that the level of sound is consistent across the board. I'll just have to get used to wearing ear plugs when I'm using it.

The bummer about it is that I live in Arizona and I switch to working nights in early May. The longer vehicles and taller profile trucks don't fit in my garage but it wasn't a problem because I could work outside when needed because my other DA's were quiet enough that it didn't matter. I love the power of the GG6 just wish it would have been engineered to be quieter.

Thanks again!

DaveT435
03-08-2017, 04:29 PM
If the HF is like a Prius, my GG6 sounds like a Chevy 427 with no exhaust system. seriously, it's loud enouggh that I wear ear plugs when I'm using it. The thing is, it wasn't this loud when I first started using it about 6 mos. ago. There wasn't a gradual increase in sound. It was like one day it was what I considered to be appropriate for the power it has and the next time I used it it was noticeably louder. Nothing has changed performance-wise. The thing that concerns me is most of the noise is coming from the gears rather than the electric motor.
I'll shoot a quick video and upload it so others can understand what I mean by the gears making most of the noise.

You might try changing the grease. Eldorado did you change the grease in the HF unit? I know that was a recommended mod for that machine.

Eldorado2k
03-08-2017, 10:47 PM
You might try changing the grease. Eldorado did you change the grease in the HF unit? I know that was a recommended mod for that machine.

Nope, I planned to do it once, but I ended up stripping all the screws trying to get it open.. Probably better off because with my luck I would've messed something up. Lol

Thing runs perfect though. I love that polisher.

Desertnate
03-09-2017, 08:19 AM
I've always worn hearing protection when running my DA's and now it seems that step is justified based on what has been found here. I can't imagine my HF DA being much quieter, especially when working in an enclosed garage.

Isn't 85dB the point where hearing damage can start to occur?

kevincwelch
03-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Isn't 85dB the point where hearing damage can start to occur?

It depends on many factors. There are genetic predispositions. There are other occupational and noise exposures. There are times and duration of other noise exposures. Many factors, including age.

However, I will say this. This is based on our own research and is part of OSHA guidelines.

At 90dB, an employer is recommended to expose an employee to no more than 8 hours of noise at this level and develop a monitoring program. I recommend that anyone who does this full time assess the emissions of their instrumentation (polishers, compressors, impact wrenches, etc.). Minimizing noise exposure with breaks and with use of PPE (personal protection equipment) is advised -- either around-the-ear protection or intra-aural protection (ear buds).

Ear PPE does have a rating system. Each type of device has a noise reduction rating. For example, a simple foam ear plug may have a NRR of 22 dB. This does not mean that your exposure is reduced by 22 dB. There actually is a formula (NRR-7)/2. So, that 22 dB NRR plug actually brings your exposure down by only by 7.5 dB. The higher the NRR, the more protection. You can increase your protection by wearing ear buds/plugs/inserts and by wearing over the ear protection and you get a calculated sum of the total protection, but again, it's formula-based, but oddly not one that you would predict. An ear plug with a rating of 22 and a ear muff with a rating of 15 doesn't give you a total NRR of 37. Instead, it is 27 (22+5).

So, PPE is always a good idea when using the polishers and compressors. I'd recommend ear plugs with a high NRR. For example, these ear plugs (https://www.uline.com/BL_1089/Uline-Bullet-Earplugs) have a NRR of 32, which is pretty good. You can improve your protection by wearing some high NRR ear muffs (https://www.uline.com/BL_847/Earmuffs?keywords=ear%20muffs) as well.

I also notice that a lot of you in videos have music blasting and/or wear head buds (presumably listening to music). You have to be careful, because the audio buds may cancel some air/conductive sound pressure, but not bone conduction sound pressure. Also, many people have the volume up too loud anyway when listening to music.

Hearing loss is a disease of age and time, but younger people are experiencing it more and more prematurely.

EDIT: AG also sells NRR 30 dB plugs (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-skull-screws-earplugs.html) -- good rating.