PDA

View Full Version : DA Polisher Change

Jmbrown415
03-06-2017, 01:47 PM
I have been contemplating changing my polisher for a while now.

Currently I have the Torq 10fx which has got the job done however I have been tempted by the rupes.

With experience, does anyone know the sort of difference between the two?

looking at getting the Rupes MK2 15mm throw, is it a noticeable difference to justify the £350 ($425) sticker?

also, is it the difficult to correct small panels with a big throw movement ?

thanks as ever
Justin

Mike Phillips
03-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Hi Justin,

Interesting, I answered this exact question on our Detailing 101 Facebook Group last Friday. I'd give you the link but it's painfully difficult to find things on FB groups after about 15 to 20 minutes.

Here's what I wrote

If you're going to go with RUPES then go with the whole system. RUPES is not a tool it's a system. They engineer their pads to work with their tools and their chemicals to work with their pads and tools.

Learn to be GREAT with the RUPES system and then start experimenting with other pads and products with their tools. If when using non-RUPES pads and non-RUPES products with a RUPES tool you don't have any luck or run into problems, IF you start with all RUPES tools, pads and products then you'll have something you can come back to - to recover because their system works great.

See my article here,

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/103119-air-test-using-non-rupes-pads-rupes-polishers.html)

Also notice, the title of my how-to book. It says how to use the RUPES "system" not the RUPES tools.

***NEW RUPES Paperback Book*** (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96907-new-rupes-paperback-book.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1313/RUPES_Book_Cover_021.jpg

I do my research very well before ever posting anything or writing a book.

:)

Killerheroin
03-06-2017, 03:15 PM
I highly recommend RUPES but like any polisher you need the right size machine for specific applications.

I have the RUPES LHR21 an the LHR75E

Next purchase will be the NANO

Debated about getting the LHR15 next but right now I don't see the need

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Dave.0
03-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Rupes machines are great and I like the pads. I have switched out from the Rupes "cut and polish products" to others with better results but like Mike said above you can't go wrong with the whole line of pads and products as a complete system.

If you are happy with what you are using now and have no reason to change don't do it. It will not be worth the money in the end and I would stick with the Torq 10fx.

Heck I even have other machines and pads I use from time to time for different things. Then again if you are like me and have to try everything and like toys and tools go for it. Remember he who has the most toys wins. (kidding)

Mike Phillips
03-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Ha ha...

Answered this question last week on our Detailing 101 Facebook page. That is, if you're going to buy a RUPES then BUDGET to buy the RUPES "system, not just one of their tools.

Answered it here today.

Now I have a guy from Israel, (I think), he's typing in Hebrew, asking me similar questions via e-mail.

It's time to write an article on this topic although I kind of already did only it's called a "book".

Here's the deal....

IF you're going to buy a RUPES polisher. Any one of them. Then BUDGET to buy the tool, the matching pads and a few of the RUPES compounds and polishes.

GET REALLY GOOD WITH THEIR SYSTEM

Then down the road, if you want to start using Meguiar's products and Lake Country pads or some other non-RUPES combination of pads and chemicals GO FOR IT!

And if you run into trouble, BECAUSE you're now already GREAT at using their tool with their pads and products, i.e. you're already great with their SYSTEM - THEN you have something to fall back on if and when the other pads and products are not working to your expectations.

It's truly a "system".

Sure other pads and products will work, but START with the system. If you don't want to budget for the system then of course if you run into trouble you can always come back to this thread and tell us what you're using and how it's not working and myself or someone here will help you out.

:laughing:

DaveT435
03-06-2017, 06:06 PM
I have been contemplating changing my polisher for a while now.

Currently I have the Torq 10fx which has got the job done however I have been tempted by the rupes.

With experience, does anyone know the sort of difference between the two?

looking at getting the Rupes MK2 15mm throw, is it a noticeable difference to justify the £350 ($425) sticker?

also, is it the difficult to correct small panels with a big throw movement ?

thanks as ever
Justin

There is the Flex XFE7 15mm long throw. This machine using a bearing balancing system so it should be just as smooth with any pad you choose. It's also the quietest machine I have used. Power is pretty similar to the Rupes. Just another option for you to consider.

Mike Phillips
03-07-2017, 08:12 AM
There is the Flex XFE7 15mm long throw.

This machine using a bearing balancing system so it should be just as smooth with any pad you choose.

That's correct. And after you posted this it reminded me I have an article on this topic.

Why does my FLEX XFE make that noise? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/100700-why-does-my-flex-xfe-make-noise.html)

It's also the quietest machine I have used. Power is pretty similar to the Rupes. Just another option for you to consider.

Works great with the Lake Country 6.5" ThinPro pads

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Buffing Pads exclusively at Autogeek (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96756-lake-country-thinpro-foam-buffing-pads-exclusively-autogeek.html)

:xyxthumbs: