PDA

View Full Version : Too much product?

58LesPaul
03-04-2017, 02:19 PM
I prime the pad and then use 3 pea sized drops of product. What am I doing wrong?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/jtindle/IMG_2300.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/jtindle/media/IMG_2300.jpg.html)

kevincwelch
03-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Looks like the result of too much heat/pressure. How often are you changing pads? What type of pad? What type of polisher?

AZpolisher15
03-04-2017, 02:53 PM
What product? Or is it with all products?

kevincwelch
03-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Surely this has to be heat and pressure at the backing plate.

58LesPaul
03-04-2017, 03:07 PM
M105 with orange LC pad with a GG6 on gelcoat. I'm doing about a 3 ft long area by 8 inches wide and I'll do 3 or 4 of those before changing pad.

I probably am putting too much pressure trying to get the haze out of the gelcoat.

LydiaGP
03-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Are you cleaning your pad on the fly with a terry towel at minimum? If not, you'll want to. Particularly with gel coat and M105 - you're going to be getting a lot of residue.

Not having a pad washer, if I'm concerned about running short on clean pads I sometimes will spray a little Last Touch onto my pad before cleaning it with the terry towel. It helps it get more clean. Just be careful at that point to turn away from anything you don't want splatter on as it is more likely to splatter while cleaning. Also, if you don't get the large majority of the LT out, the first buffing cycle after cleaning may be a little more "splattery" also if you're not careful.

vobro
03-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Is that just from working on the top cap? If I remember right you were working on a bass boat? If so working on the smaller,rounded profile of the top cap could mean the center of the pad is taking more of a beating because the outside of the pad isn't touching the gel coat. Have you tried a 3" pad?

58LesPaul
03-04-2017, 03:44 PM
yes, top cap on a bass boat. 3" pads should be here Monday.

mwoywod
03-04-2017, 10:18 PM
In my experience M105 doesn't have nearly enough lubricants and oils to be overly effective on gel coat. I would use a polish is more lubricated and has a longer working time to remove as much of the oxidized gel coat as possible. I like 3D Ultra Polish because it is really heavily lubricated and allows me to work large areas without caking up the pad no matter how bad the oxidation is. I'm sure m205 would work well for this too. I do this just to get as much residue off the gelcoat as possible so that I can use my compound of choice without my pads caking up with residue so fast. Also, if your dealing with that much oxidation you may want to consider investing in a rotary along with some wool pads. I like the Dewalt 849x and buff and shine wool pads.

fightnews
03-05-2017, 03:53 AM
M105 with orange LC pad with a GG6 on gelcoat. I'm doing about a 3 ft long area by 8 inches wide and I'll do 3 or 4 of those before changing pad.

I probably am putting too much pressure trying to get the haze out of the gelcoat.

you should get a pad conditioning brush, it makes a huge difference ive found out the semi hard way

fightnews
03-05-2017, 03:58 AM
In my experience M105 doesn't have nearly enough lubricants and oils to be overly effective on gel coat. I would use a polish is more lubricated and has a longer working time to remove as much of the oxidized gel coat as possible. I like 3D Ultra Polish because it is really heavily lubricated and allows me to work large areas without caking up the pad no matter how bad the oxidation is. I'm sure m205 would work well for this too. I do this just to get as much residue off the gelcoat as possible so that I can use my compound of choice without my pads caking up with residue so fast. Also, if your dealing with that much oxidation you may want to consider investing in a rotary along with some wool pads. I like the Dewalt 849x and buff and shine wool pads.

all the new griots boss creams have very long working times

Automoglow
04-03-2017, 01:24 PM
I was using HD Speed this weekend on an orange B&S pad and my pads were getting the same result... thinking too much pressure