PDA

View Full Version : Nano skin sponge questions

Pages : [1] 2

Coopers ST
02-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Hey all,

i just got mymfirst clay alternative, the nanoskin sponge Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-combo.html). I read the instructions and have a couple questions.
It says to break in the surface by rubbing it on a window for 30-60 seconds. Is this something you do once, or everytime?
It talks about lube, and says water is not a good lubricant, for some reason I thought people used soapy water, if not can I use a regular QD like ONR like I would with real clay?
To clean, do you just dip in the wash bucket?

thanks
Brad

GSKR
02-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Just once to break it in.If you use water only it will stick and not glide.For best results use clay lube ,if you want to save a few bucks soapy water will do.I'm not a onr user so I can't give you advice on that.put soapy water in a trigger spray bottle and use liberally over the paint and nano sponge.

GSKR
02-28-2017, 10:42 AM
I have the red sponge and tried it not a fan of it grabs to much.I thought you were talking about the clay mitt .I have 2 unopened packages and I see myself not using them.There like a magnet for grit,it gets stuck in there frequently and you will ride that grit all over the car.pita to clean.Stick to clay or the mitt you will thank me.

dlc95
02-28-2017, 10:54 AM
I liked mine so much that I bought more. Makes the deconstruction process much more efficient.

I use an ONR clay lube dilution in a trigger bottle.

Once I take a couple swipes, I wipe the rubber on a microfiber, and continue the process. Much quicker than continually kneading a clay bar.

Keep the pad surface clean, by frequent wiping, and use a proper amount of lube, and you should be fine.

dennis hiip
02-28-2017, 11:13 AM
I use bucket of soapy water regularly dipping nano skin.

AdamZ
02-28-2017, 11:22 AM
I liked mine so much that I bought more. Makes the deconstruction process much more efficient.

I use an ONR clay lube dilution in a trigger bottle.

Once I take a couple swipes, I wipe the rubber on a microfiber, and continue the process. Much quicker than continually kneading a clay bar.

Keep the pad surface clean, by frequent wiping, and use a proper amount of lube, and you should be fine.

I echo these statements. I would like to note that, in my experience, the red sponge is grabby IF you are not using sufficient lubrication. For reference, I have had zero issues using ONR clay lube dilution in a spray bottle as well as Meg's D110 undiluted in a foam cannon. A friend used the red sponge with nothing but water and it marred the paint on his Honda Accord but was easily removed with HD Speed on a Meg's thin foam finishing pad.

Eldorado2k
02-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Meg's D110 undiluted in a foam cannon

Hyper Wash full strength as clay lube? What a waste...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ski2
02-28-2017, 02:25 PM
I've been using the sponges for the past year with great results. I use UWW+ at the waterless dilution for a lube and spray the sponge off with the hose often. Never had any marring or grabbing and surface contaminants are removed very well.

Coopers ST
02-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Thank you all very much.

DaveT435
02-28-2017, 04:40 PM
I used ONR and soap water, recently I switched to glide and find I don't get any marring with glide like I did previously. I think ONR is ok, you may have to play with dilution ratio a little bit. Too little and you'll get marring, too much and wou'll leave contaminants.

Showcase
02-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Are you rinsing the car first dave

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

DaveT435
02-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Yes I always wash and rinse the car before starting. Some paints I didn't have any problem with marring, anything with paint just a little on the soft side I would get marring.

dlc95
02-28-2017, 08:25 PM
I echo these statements. I would like to note that, in my experience, the red sponge is grabby IF you are not using sufficient lubrication. For reference, I have had zero issues using ONR clay lube dilution in a spray bottle as well as Meg's D110 undiluted in a foam cannon. A friend used the red sponge with nothing but water and it marred the paint on his Honda Accord but was easily removed with HD Speed on a Meg's thin foam finishing pad.

My car has soft ss paint, and was marred by the red sponge. I hit it with SwirlX and it was fine. Very easy clean up. The blue sponge on a more "normal" clear was outstanding.

ntwillie1
02-28-2017, 08:59 PM
I use soap water. Works just fine for me.

Scottie Brown
02-28-2017, 11:11 PM
So I see a lot of mixed reviews on the red sponge. I just bought the blue and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. It sound a like it seems to be a bit safer on the marring side of things but do those of you who use it find it just as useful? Anything to look out for? Great to hear that ONR works well with it as that is what I use.

Great thread!