PDA

View Full Version : Removing Defects from Mirror Caps and Stems

osiapstndp
02-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Hello everyone,

The majority of the vehicles I work on are modern Mopars and they all have varying degrees of surface defects (scratches, water spots, what have you) on their mirror caps and stems. Is it really called a "stem"? It's the piece that connects the mirror cap to the door.

A Flex 3401 with a five-inch white or orange Lake Country Hybrid pad can be used to effectively remove surface defects from mirror caps, but the stem is so small one would have to use a one-inch pad to ensure proper coverage.

Here are a couple pictures that describe what I'm talking about.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/7597c224e8571379f44c8421b07184b8.jpg

This is a one-inch Flex pad. With an extension a rotary would be able to fit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/143704e9cf0b2e2f36ee7f7d6d3045d8.jpg

Every time I encounter this issue I try to get creative, but end up using my Flex PE-8 with a one-inch pad (sometimes a two-inch pad). I always finish by applying almost no pressure (just enough to make contact) and using a black finishing pad and either M205 or Griot's Garage Boss Perfecting Cream in order to reduce the severity of holograms. Compounding and polishing very small areas is a constant occurrence, so I'd like to use the problem as an opportunity to learn.

An idea taunts me - surely the Rupes Nano iBrid is choice for the situation. Whether this is true or not I cannot attest, but I am nonetheless interested. Does the Rupes have enough "umph" for defects removal and perfection with its orbital attachments? I suppose perfecting the paintwork with the Rupes is what I'm focused on because my Flex P E-8 cuts very well.

Summary

1. How does everyone else compound and polish mirror caps and stems?
2. Is the Rupes Nano iBrid capable of cutting and finishing small areas (where there may not be a lot of room available for a long orbit)?

Thank you!

Crispy
02-26-2017, 05:44 PM
The Nano was made for just this.

Much easier to control and precision buff small areas.

The only problem I have is the sling from the blue pad.

2black1s
02-26-2017, 05:48 PM
I do areas like this by hand. Unless you have multiple tools and various set-ups ready to go it just isn't worth the effort to me.

By the time you figure out which tool(s) to use and get them set up, you could have already completed the task by hand.