PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Cutting Pads

bryanviper
02-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Hey Guys,

So I'm used to using regular foam pads on my GG 6" Polisher and now I'm thinking of giving Microfiber pads a try as I see a lot of professional detailers using them. From my understanding it will basically be the same as a regular foam one however it will cut & remove marks/scratches faster so you would need less passes to get the paint looking good? Obviously I would have to be more careful and check after a few passes as it may be good enough so i don't go to far.

if I have very minor swirl marks should I stick with regular foam? and only use microfiber for cares that are in worse shape?

I'm looking at the following item - Griots Garage 6 inch Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-microfiber-pad.html)

What do you guys think and I missing/forgetting anything before I jump on these pads?

bryanviper
02-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Bump

Eldorado2k
02-27-2017, 11:14 PM
Yea you've got the right idea, but I would go for the regular microfiber pads instead of the fast cut microfibers... I've got several microfiber pads, only 2 Extra Cut microfiber pads and I've only had to reach for them once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guz
02-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Get the boss microfiber pads over the ones you linked.

Boudin
02-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Second the BOSS microfiber pads

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaskyR1
02-28-2017, 02:28 PM
I agree with the others on using the BOSS MF. Also keep in mind that while they cut better they won't finish as well as foam and need to be followed up with a finishing step. Some of the newer foams out there can cut pretty well while finishing down pretty good too, but they are really firm and I don't care for them. The BOSS MF cut very well and are nice and smooth.

brettS4
02-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Is there any concern that the center hole in the Boss pads might pose a problem when used with the GG6 given the thinness of the pads? Also, all the Griots website reviews for the Boss MF say they don't last more than a couple sessions.

Eldorado2k
02-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Is there any concern that the center hole in the Boss pads might pose a problem when used with the GG6 given the thinness of the pads? Also, all the Griots website reviews for the Boss MF say they don't last more than a couple sessions.

How do they say they fail?

brettS4
02-28-2017, 05:13 PM
"Fell apart". I'm guessing separation of pad and velcro. All 4 reviews on their website listed it.

Eldorado2k
02-28-2017, 05:16 PM
"Fell apart". I'm guessing separation of pad and velcro. All 4 reviews on their website listed it.

Interesting, I thought the Griots pads had superior adhesive... What do Autogeeks who use them have to say?

RaskyR1
02-28-2017, 05:22 PM

Considering I still have beta pads from over 2 years ago I'd be more inclined to say that any pad failures are likely a result of how they were used. In fact, I honestly can't recall the last time I had a MF pad failure from any manufacture (excluding Megs 3" bad batch).

Eldorado2k
02-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Considering I still have beta pads from over 2 years ago I'd be more inclined to say that any pad failures are likely a result of how they were used. In fact, I honestly can't recall the last time I had a MF pad failure from any manufacture (excluding Megs 3" bad batch).

Someone just bumped a thread about polishing under door handles and I couldn't help but find this funny coincidence. Lol.[emoji4]

I use my old 3" MF pads or ones that have failed after multiple uses. That combined with M105, M100, M101, or any compound really will make quick work of scratches.

Eldorado2k
02-28-2017, 05:32 PM
Excluding? My bad I thought you bad said including. Lol.