PDA

View Full Version : Mitigating Dye Transfer on Light Colored Leather : Coating Leather

Pages : [1] 2

chefwong
02-24-2017, 06:46 PM
For really light colored leather , have any of ya'll used ANY of the so called leather products on the market that is *said to * mitigate, prevent, dye transfer on leather.

If you have found a product you like, please post.
MORE importantly though, I'm not looking to change the SHEEN of the leather....
The texture, I would prefer it not changing as well, but if I'm semi-okay with the texture potentially changing from a textured to a semi-smooth-----it might be the inherent byproduct with these so called leather coatings..

I'm using some awefully strong stuff on cleaning the leather weekly to every 2 weeks....kinda gives me that sick in the feeling knowing it's alkalinity, but this is the only product that is able to remove the dye transfer from the seats sucessfully...

DogRescuer
02-24-2017, 08:06 PM
I just ordered some four star leather cleaner.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-24-2017, 08:10 PM
I have coated many a light colored leather interiors with CQuartz Leather. It enhances the finish rather than adding sheen. Apply in thin layers. What it does is help to prevent dye transfer from building up so quick and makes cleaning the dye transfer as easy as wiping with an ONR soaked towel. In essence, the dye transfer accumulates on the coating rather than the factory coating substrate.

Eldorado2k
02-24-2017, 08:20 PM
I'm using some awefully strong stuff on cleaning the leather weekly to every 2 weeks....kinda gives me that sick in the feeling knowing it's alkalinity, but this is the only product that is able to remove the dye transfer from the seats sucessfully...

What are you currently using to clean the leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chefwong
02-24-2017, 08:27 PM
I've seen pics of CQ on leather and from the ones I've seen, it looks like it adds sheen to the point where the color is slightly different.

I'm currently using Deep Plastic Cleaner once a week or every 2. The issue is not the entire seat but primarily the outer bolster - even though one does the step over when getting in/out. 2X the issue is the jeans are ~raw denim dye~

Eldorado2k
02-24-2017, 08:29 PM
This is on white leather seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chefwong
02-24-2017, 08:35 PM
yes

FUNX650
02-24-2017, 09:01 PM
I've always found the LeatherMaster
products to be the perfect choice.

http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-auto-care.html

Bob

The Guz
02-24-2017, 09:27 PM
I have coated many a light colored leather interiors with CQuartz Leather. It enhances the finish rather than adding sheen. Apply in thin layers. What it does is help to prevent dye transfer from building up so quick and makes cleaning the dye transfer as easy as wiping with an ONR soaked towel. In essence, the dye transfer accumulates on the coating rather than the factory coating substrate.

Great product.

I've seen pics of CQ on leather and from the ones I've seen, it looks like it adds sheen to the point where the color is slightly different.

I'm currently using Deep Plastic Cleaner once a week or every 2. The issue is not the entire seat but primarily the outer bolster - even though one does the step over when getting in/out. 2X the issue is the jeans are ~raw denim dye~

I have a review of it. See post 14 for the video portion. Cquartz leather does not alter the appearance of the leather. I would recommend you get it from carpro directly as they just switched to a different color applicator. See post 17 and 18 in my thread as well as to the reason why.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/98797-review-carpro-cquartz-leather-coating-2.html#post1456039

vobro
02-24-2017, 09:53 PM
I've used the CQuartz leather and after it was completely dry it didn't alter the sheen or color. IMHO you have a few choices either lay something between you and the seat or try a coating but wiping/scrubbing it down every week with a strong cleaner like Deep Plastic Cleaner may cause more harm in the long run. Have you tried a more mild cleaner to use daily? I know it's not practical but may help the buildup and grinding the dye into the seat. White leather requires more maintenance than black paint

GSKR
02-25-2017, 08:19 AM

Great stuff or gyeon leather coat.

GSKR
02-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Or even 855 collinite.

chefwong
02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
I've used the CQuartz leather and after it was completely dry it didn't alter the sheen or color. IMHO you have a few choices either lay something between you and the seat or try a coating but wiping/scrubbing it down every week with a strong cleaner like Deep Plastic Cleaner may cause more harm in the long run. Have you tried a more mild cleaner to use daily? I know it's not practical but may help the buildup and grinding the dye into the seat. White leather requires more maintenance than black paint

I've tried many and none will clean it off the seats. It's just the nature of the color of the seats , curved bolster and hard raw denim dye. The bottoms, right bolster is not the issue. Primarily the left bolster and a slight area on the seat base adjacent to to it.

I've tried apc 10:1 with it does not even make a dent in it.

chefwong
02-25-2017, 11:19 AM
For the ####, and he hestiation with a --koating--
Tried trim coating on a test spot. Wasn't really my cup of tea

Back to the OP. Yeah, I'm not too crazed on the approach needed to remove said transfer.
It would drive me nutz, if it appeared even semi-satin-gloss, if you know what I mean on sheen...

Dustin Cropsboy
02-07-2018, 01:15 PM
CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating says to avoid using it on light colored interiors. Does anyone know what it might do to light red?