PDA

View Full Version : Interior cleaning?

98bmw323is
03-12-2006, 12:07 AM
I have been reading alot and have not really been able to find what im looking for on interior cleaning write ups. I read alot about inter quick detailing sprays. I want to know more about the process in removing stains from carpets head liners A, B, C pillars.

What are some good cleaning products?
What are some good brushes to use that work the product into the rug?
and what is a good step by step process of doing this?

TIA

ScottB
03-12-2006, 12:25 AM
I try to do some preventative maintenance on my interiors when cars are first bought. I Scotchgard the entire interior and the mats. (I use the blue can for rugs and carpets) When I find a dirt or spot, usually in wifes car from herself or the baby, I immediately remove it with Wolfgangs Spot Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5000.html)and a small brush (http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html). (see below)

I have also found that a mixture of Woolight and water works well in removing small stains on the headliner, and other interior areas. In Cadillacs the B pillars are also covered in headliner material (presumably to make the quieter) and I love this process on them also. If they were plastic, I would clean with one of those Quik Interior Cleaners and dress as wanted with 303 Protectant of something with UV protection. Mr. Clean Majic Erasers work well on door sill plastic, but must be washed out well first or transfer some white cleaner that is hard to remove from these little wonders.

Older cars and some cars that were not properly prepped might need a hot-water extractor. Best left to a professional detailer IMO, as the smaller store bought machines dont work well at all.

Steps to remove spots on mats :

1. Vacuum -- remove all dirt/dust as possible that is loose.
2. Spot Treat --- spritz and allow to penetrate for around 2 minutes. Aggitate the spot with small brush trying not to destroy the carpets fibers (dont grind let the cleaner due the work) Wipe area following the natural direction of the carpet fibers. Use a damp rag that is not excessively wet.
3. Naturally Dry --- Allow them to sit outside in sun and air to dry properly.
4. Retreat --- A final coat of Scotchgard to protect for next spot

98bmw323is
03-12-2006, 12:35 AM
awsome. Ive been reading alot on this site and autoutopia but couldnt really find a certain set process. Also ive been reading alot about these PC's. Im going to be investing in a rotary buffer. Would applying polishes using this be different because of it being rotary?

ScottB
03-12-2006, 01:20 AM
awsome. Ive been reading alot on this site and autoutopia but couldnt really find a certain set process. Also ive been reading alot about these PC's. Im going to be investing in a rotary buffer. Would applying polishes using this be different because of it being rotary?

you certainly jumped from one area to another quickly :D

Rotaries are NOT for the inexperienced, and can easily result in damaged or burnt paint. (I got my Hitatchi last year, and still only use it sporatically). These are much more powerful the a ROB (Random Orbital) and they generate much more heat. I would highly suggest a junkyard panel and testing for months prior to hitting your pride and joy.

Now a PC or Cyclo is a very valid choice to anyones detailing aersonal. You would basically need to throw the machine at the car to do any real damage (just joking). They dont generate alot of heat, and spin off axis meaning less chance for damage. They are used at much higher speeds (ROB - 4500-6000, Rot 1000-1500 max) and really are allowing the polish and pad to make the difference in paint and removing or reducing marks, swirls, and marring. Most would even challenge that a PC actually removes these, versus simply wearing them down until they are not noticable by softening the edges that catch sun, light, and our attention. You will work longer with a ROB but you will work safer and thats the main attraction.

MasterShineBoy
03-12-2006, 02:08 AM
I hate to say it, but PC's are draining to use on an entire job that needs cutting!!! Talk about bring a tent and a cooler!!!

98bmw323is
03-12-2006, 01:12 PM
yeah ive read about the rotary being powerfull etc. but ive actually used a rotary before thats why im more partial to it. Using rotary with buffing compound at the body shop to remove scratches in the paint.

GearHead_1
03-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I know this response isn't really a revelation on any one particular procedure but I find this product to be my go to product for many interior jobs. It works well on carpets, plastic, fabric upholstery, and pleather. I never see any real discussion on it but I've found it to be a great arrow in the quiver.

98bmw323is
03-12-2006, 03:47 PM
where do you pick that stuff up at?

GearHead_1
03-12-2006, 05:24 PM
where do you pick that stuff up at?

I believe it is an STP product. I've seen it both at Auto Zone and at the grocery store.

Larry A
03-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I know this response isn't really a revelation on any one particular procedure but I find this product to be my go to product for many interior jobs. It works well on carpets, plastic, fabric upholstery, and pleather. I never see any real discussion on it but I've found it to be a great arrow in the quiver. I second the Tuff Stuff great stuff .Spray rub,wipe dry, no vacuum needed.

MachB5
03-12-2006, 10:29 PM
This is my virgin post, but this is the method I use by GSRStilez on Autotopia:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43947&highlight=gsrstilez+interior

For dashes and leather: MicroPad Appli and WG Products all the way!

98bmw323is
03-16-2006, 07:50 PM
what about cleanthing the headliner or any other more delicate areas that are thinner?

MachB5
03-16-2006, 08:04 PM
what about cleanthing the headliner or any other more delicate areas that are thinner?

I use diluted APC from Top of the Line (1:10 ratio). Spray and scrub with a soft bristle brush or a microfiber towel. I have to do this about eveytime I take my baby to the dealer unless I remember to ask them to wear gloves and booties when they're in my car.

DP Total Interior cleaner works awesome too. It's basically what I mentioned above, except you can get it from Autogeek.

bigron
03-17-2006, 02:22 AM
I use diluted APC from Top of the Line (1:10 ratio). Spray and scrub with a soft bristle brush or a microfiber towel. I have to do this about eveytime I take my baby to the dealer unless I remember to ask them to wear gloves and booties when they're in my car.

DP Total Interior cleaner works awesome too. It's basically what I mentioned above, except you can get it from Autogeek.

DP Total Interior is my customers favourite choice.