PDA

View Full Version : Removing Overspray On New Vehicle

PearlWhiteGT
02-23-2017, 09:28 PM
I just purchased my new 2017 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck at the beginning of the year. It's White in color and had came with some black fender flares which I did not like. Took it to a small paint and body shop a couple weeks back to have them color match them to the color of the truck. Finally got around to giving it a quick wash today and quickly noticed a lot of overspray all over the truck. Mainly on the hood, top of the fenders and top of the cab. Called the shop and told them about it and they want me to bring it in so they can take care of it but I'm debating if I should just take care of it myself. What do you fellas recommend? If I remove the overspray myself what do you recommend using to get it done quickly? Any alternatives to using a clay bar on new paint?

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-23-2017, 10:21 PM
Well unfortunately...a clay bar is going to be the best way honestly. The key is going to be using it on cool surface if possible with lots of lube.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Honestly, You should do it yourself.

A simple clay bar kit and some microfiber towels will do the trick.

They might go as far as buffing to remove the overspray, for something that a simple clay bar can take care of. The truth is you don't know what they are going to use, they might use a paint thinner with dirty towels.

Even if they do use clay, chances are they are going to use contaminated shop towels and scratch your new finish.

Do your self a favor and do it your self.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

2black1s
02-23-2017, 10:34 PM
If you do take it back to the body shop, I'd be sure to ask them what method they will employ to remove the overspray and then decide whether you want to let them have at it.

Clay is probably the safest method.

My concern would be that they take a rotary polisher and wool pad to it. That will definitely work but may leave you with other problems that will ultimately be more work to correct than the overspray you're starting with, not to mention how aggressively they go at it and the amount of finish they remove.

Personally I'd just bite the bullet and remove the overspray yourself, with clay (or clay alternative).

Eldorado2k
02-23-2017, 11:52 PM
I agree with the advice given and would do it myself. Med. Grade Speedy Prep Towel with plenty of claylube will take it off very easy and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PearlWhiteGT
02-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll go ahead and take care of it myself. I like the idea of using the Speedy Prep Towel. But do you guys think the Med might be a little to aggressive on the new paint?

TTQ B4U
02-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll go ahead and take care of it myself. I like the idea of using the Speedy Prep Towel. But do you guys think the Med might be a little to aggressive on the new paint?

I use medium grade nano sponges all the time. Zero issues.

Dave.0
02-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Clay Clay and Clay just like everyone says. It will come right off.

PearlWhiteGT
03-01-2017, 12:58 PM
A Clay Alternative would not be recommended compared to just using Clay? My biggest issue is time. Don't have a whole lot of time on my hands but also don't want to cause anymore damage to the paint. If a clay alternative will do the job and save me time I'd like to go that route but if it's best to use clay instead then that's what I will do. Thanks.

2black1s
03-01-2017, 02:17 PM
A Clay Alternative would not be recommended compared to just using Clay? My biggest issue is time. Don't have a whole lot of time on my hands but also don't want to cause anymore damage to the paint. If a clay alternative will do the job and save me time I'd like to go that route but if it's best to use clay instead then that's what I will do. Thanks.

Either or... whichever you prefer will do the job.

PearlWhiteGT
03-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. Looking to follow up with a AIO polish after I remove the overspray. Looking at trying out either Poorboys Polish with Sealant or 3D HD Speed. Which would you guys recommend?