PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant vs. Optimum Opti-Seal for AIO Treatment

steelwindmachine
02-23-2017, 04:23 PM
From the descriptions, the WG ETS works on plastic parts/trim/rubber/metal and wheels. The OOS works on paint, plastic trim, wheels and I've read people have successfully used it on glass too.

I'd like to know if anyone knows which of these can be an AIO for protecting the most amount of surface types :)

The Guz
02-23-2017, 05:54 PM
If the trim needs some restoration, then WETS is the way to go. Opti-seal is great for everything else.

FUNX650
02-23-2017, 06:28 PM
IMO:
Neither of these products
meet the criteria needed
to be considered an AIO.

Bob

oneheadlite
02-24-2017, 11:47 AM
IMO:
Neither of these products
meet the criteria needed
to be considered an AIO.

Bob

For the original poster: An AIO, or All In One is something used for paint to both perform some correction and leave some protection. Common examples would be HD Speed, Griot's BOSS Finishing sealant, etc. I think Cleaner Waxes would also fall into that category.

As far as Opti-seal vs Wolfgang ETS: In my experience Opti-seal generally leaves rubber and plastic trim parts looking clean and fresh, but the Wolfgang exterior trim sealant leaves more of a glossy treated look.

steelwindmachine
02-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Sorry, I didn't fully understand what characterized an AIO. Thank you for the information!

What I meant then was that I wondered whether or not the Opti-Seal or Wolfgang ETS could be used interchangeably for a multitude of surfaces without any issues and if one was particularly better than the other in terms of protection.

Based on oneheadlite's remark on the W-ETS leaving a more glossy look, then I'd prefer the Opti-Seal. I don't like my trim/rubber/plastic looking glossy. I much prefer a neutral, matte or satin finish for these surfaces.

Ultimately the resolve of this is that I use the Opti-Seal, one product for paint/plastic parts/trim/rubber/metal/wheels and glass.

glfnaz
02-24-2017, 02:41 PM
I like the WOWA ( Opti Seal, WGLS, BFCS) products for everything you mentioned--especially paint and glass. But if you want to restore the deep, dark, new appearance of trim and dark moldings, WETS is the way to go. It's not real glossy at all and moldings and cowlings will look brand new and last months. On moldings and trim, WETS is real good stuff.

BadgerRivFan
02-26-2017, 08:36 AM
There are AIO products that are made for other surfaces than paint. If you are looking for a true AIO product (i.e. cleans AND protects) check out BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant:

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-total-eclipse-tire-shine.html

A great product, but will not have the longevity of a true trim sealant such as WETS. I've never used Opti Seal, but it would be a protectant only with no cleaning ability.

Souldetailer
02-26-2017, 08:55 AM
There are AIO products that are made for other surfaces than paint. Good Point, that's what I was thinking.

ntwillie1
02-26-2017, 09:26 AM
I detailed my engine this weekend and thought I'd try the opti-seal as a dressing. You cant even tell I used it. Nothing was restored back to the original looking color. I wasn't looking for gloss but at least some darkening of the rubber to make it look new would have been nice. I'm going to be trying something else for the trim going forward.

For me, optinseal works well on paint and glass and some of my interior areas. Thanks.

AZpolisher15
02-26-2017, 11:11 AM
I detailed my engine this weekend and thought I'd try the opti-seal as a dressing. You cant even tell I used it. Nothing was restored back to the original looking color. I wasn't looking for gloss but at least some darkening of the rubber to make it look new would have been nice. I'm going to be trying something else for the trim going forward.

For me, optinseal works well on paint and glass and some of my interior areas. Thanks.

For a quick "fix" at a low price point, DG 253 Tire and Rubber Dressing is a nice product. Floor mats, mud flaps, black trim, tires, engine bay plastics... it darkens things very nicely and leaves a little protection. Not at all in the league of WETS, but when you wanna "wash" a car and "spiff it up" a bit, albeit temporarily, it's a really nice product. It actually lasts quite awhile if it doesn't get wet and it doesn't attract dust like more oily/greasy products.