PDA

View Full Version : Black Trim Dye?

Pages : [1] 2

LydiaGP
02-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone know of a good black trim dye? I used Showroom New at one point (I think a guy named Richard Lin made it?). It's no longer available. Honda touring/sport touring motorcycles' trim doesn't fare well with neglect. The best thing I've found is re-dye the trim, then keep it up with a dressing.

Rsurfer
02-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone know of a good black trim dye? I used Showroom New at one point (I think a guy named Richard Lin made it?). It's no longer available. Honda touring/sport touring motorcycles' trim doesn't fare well with neglect. The best thing I've found is re-dye the trim, then keep it up with a dressing.
Solution Finish is a popular trim dye. Like with any dressing/dye prep work will determine how long the product will last. Clean the surface with a good APC and final wipe with IPA before applying any dye/dressing.

Dave.0
02-21-2017, 01:59 PM
If you talking about Richard Lin's product it's call Black WOW.

Black WOW Trim Restorer Products (http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-trim-products.html)

Dave.0
02-21-2017, 02:01 PM
I personally stopped using Black Wow and went with IPA wipe down and Gyeon Trim.

GYEON Q2 Trim - 30 ml (http://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-trim.html)

Rsurfer
02-21-2017, 02:07 PM
I personally stopped using Black Wow and went with IPA wipe down and Gyeon Trim.

GYEON Q2 Trim - 30 ml (http://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-trim.html)

Is Gyeon Q2 a dye?

LydiaGP
02-21-2017, 02:12 PM
If you talking about Richard Lin's product it's call Black WOW.

Black WOW Trim Restorer Products (http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-trim-products.html)

Either I mis-remember the name of the guy that created Showroom New, or he came out with something else. I still have the bottle from years ago so I know it was Showroom New.

Thanks, all! I'll have to check those products out.

gregory1420
02-21-2017, 08:24 PM
i just got done using solution finish and topped it with dlux.. turned out nice.. will see how long it last.. put dlux on a couple years ago but didn't darken it enough...

FUNX650
02-21-2017, 08:36 PM
i just got done using solution finish
and topped it with dlux...
Besides the above Solution Finish/DLux
process, there's:
•Valugard ETR III
•Gatorback Coatings

Bob

BrutalNoodle
02-21-2017, 09:08 PM
If you're looking for a dye, Solution Finish is it.

The trunk step pad on my Forester was seriously faded. Tried all sorts of remedy and they all fell short. Finally dyed the trim back to black, then sealed it with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-trim-sealant.html), and it's looking like-new & holding up great.

Tasmania
02-22-2017, 04:54 AM
Solution Finish is a popular trim dye. Like with any dressing/dye prep work will determine how long the product will last. Clean the surface with a good APC and final wipe with IPA before applying any dye/dressing.

+ 1 for solution finish.

Dave.0
02-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Is Gyeon Q2 a dye?

No and you don't need a dye. Just clean he trim very well and seal it with a coating. All trim dressings and dye are crap and wear away over time.

I use ISM by Kamikaze but Gyeon Trim will also do the same for a little cheaper.

Rsurfer
02-22-2017, 02:08 PM
No and you don't need a dye. Just clean he trim very well and seal it with a coating. All trim dressings and dye are crap and wear away over time.

I use ISM by Kamikaze but Gyeon Trim will also do the same for a little cheaper.

IYO Dave.

Crispy
02-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Forever Black Dye - I used this quite awhile ago on some window moldings.

It worked better on textured surfaces than flat ones (kind of smeared around a bit).

The textured trim was an air hose in the engine bay and it looked real good after application.

Can't speak to how long it lasts, as I moved on to other Trim Products (used a lot).

Once I used Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer, I never went back to ant others.

C4 does everything I need on my trim and so far 8 months in, still looks brand new.

I should mention, I don't have a lot of plastic trim on the exterior, but I plan on testing C4 on high wear areas on the interior, once I'm sure it won't change the colour too much.

It's winter indoor working with poor lighting, so won't be until the weather turns and can do outside.

LydiaGP
02-22-2017, 05:01 PM
IYO Dave.

I just decided not to say anything, but well put.

Thanks for the help, all! I ordered Solution Finish early this afternoon (sorry, I should have posted sooner but it was before your recommendation, Crispy. Maybe I'll give Forever Black a try next time). The trim I'm working on is so faded grey that a quality dressing just makes it, shinier grey. I could be wrong, but if that's what's happening with a quality dressing, I don't see how a coating will do anything but make it a shinier grey for longer.

MarkD51
02-22-2017, 06:52 PM
I got solution finish here on hand. it was like coating my trim with Olive Oil. Major dirt attractant, and a whole bottle sits. And it did not cover and hide like I hoped it would. Bottom line, I do not like it.

For shot to hell trim, the best stuff I ever used, was Turtle Wax's Endura, but it is now MIA, unless you dig such up on the auction site.