PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys do it?

pjunk
02-21-2017, 12:39 PM
I know we all come across this so wanted to hear how you guys do it.

By the time I’m done washing, my brake rotors are rusted-up pretty bad and soon as I drive the rust gets caked inside the barrel and spokes of my wheel, looks horrible. Other than removing the rust with a MF towel is there anything you guys do prior to washing to keep the rotors from rusting?

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
02-21-2017, 12:42 PM
I believe some people have used this: Hyde’s Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels (http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html)

Rinseless washing will significantly reduce the amount of water on your rotors, and therefore should significantly reduce the rusting. That's presuming you don't need to use wheel cleaners that you spray on...which would require you to do a good washing, perhaps polishing, and sealing or coating of the wheels first.

pjunk
02-21-2017, 01:09 PM
I believe some people have used this: Hyde’s Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels (http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html)

Just read the reviews of Hyde's product and a couple guys mentioned not a great choice for drilled rotors, I have um. Hmmm...

Audios S6
02-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Usually I finish washing a car before the rotors get a lot of rust, then just move the car back and forth a few times to knock off any rust and blow or wipe the wheels again.

Sounds like they dry completely before you get to them. Perhaps this would work for you if you kept going back to the rotors to keep them wet during your wash.

LSNAutoDetailing
02-21-2017, 03:40 PM
As Audios S6 states, a ride around the block with frequent braking will eliminate any of the surface discoloration caused by your wheel cleaner and washing..

pjunk
02-21-2017, 05:55 PM
My new plan is to clean my wheels, drive around to reduce water and rust on rotors (rust forms ridiculously quick on my rotors), then cover them up with bags before washing the rest of the car.

pjunk
02-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Usually I finish washing a car before the rotors get a lot of rust, then just move the car back and forth a few times to knock off any rust and blow or wipe the wheels again.

Sounds like they dry completely before you get to them. Perhaps this would work for you if you kept going back to the rotors to keep them wet during your wash.

I like you S6 my man.

osiapstndp
02-22-2017, 12:55 AM
A huge pet peeve of mine involves rusty rotors after washing. I can't stand it! Like others said, backing up a moving forward a few times is normally sufficient to remove light surface rust, but it one lets the rust sit and form long enough it may take a drive around the block to knock off everything.

Rinseless washing does wonders to help the situation. I have a customer's Challenger sitting in my garage until Friday and leaving rust on the rotors is unacceptable, so I just backed up the car a couple times, pulled it into my garage, wiped down the wheel surfaces (spraying isn't necessary) and then covered them up.

When rinseless washing wheels it's okay to be generous with the amount of product one uses to pre-soak the barrel and face/spokes. Below are some pictures of the wheels on the aforementioned Challenger.

Before rinseless washing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170222/e4ccf1ba583361d3c0e8c30da1635052.jpg

After rinseless washing. I used McKee's N-914 at 1:32 and was very, very liberal with pre-soaking everything, so getting rust on the rotors was inevitable, but it doesn't matter because shortly afterward the brake pads helped to remove the majority of it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170222/95eceaa79d3c1be703e6c72c11e6ba89.jpg

Once the wheels are wiped down and in good standing condition I cover them to ensure debris and whatnot doesn't blemish my hard work. :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170222/c7bb83381fd0053ad3e17dd7c23ae95e.jpg

Eldorado2k
02-22-2017, 12:57 AM
A huge pet peeve of mine involves rusty rotors after washing. I can't stand it!

After seeing your wheel & tire cleaning thread from the other day... I believe you! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osiapstndp
02-22-2017, 01:06 AM
After seeing your wheel & tire cleaning thread from the other day... I believe you! Lol.

Last summer I spent seven days three-stepping the paintwork and bare metal on a supercharged 426 Challenger. The brake pads would not remove the surface rust (at least not quick enough), so I had to drive it around the block. That was the most fun I've had fulfilling a pet peeve! [emoji16]

Eldorado2k
02-22-2017, 01:22 AM
Last summer I spent seven days three-stepping the paintwork and bare metal on a supercharged 426 Challenger. The brake pads would not remove the surface rust (at least not quick enough), so I had to drive it around the block. That was the most fun I've had fulfilling a pet peeve! [emoji16]

I think my cat has a pet peeve with peeing and pooping outside.. She's got a litter box, but she only uses it about once a week on average. Is that great or what?[emoji16][emoji23]lol.

Her litter box stays super clean for her once a week moment. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSKR
02-22-2017, 06:00 AM

Rinseless washing will significantly reduce the amount of water on your rotors, and therefore should significantly reduce the rusting. That's presuming you don't need to use wheel cleaners that you spray on...which would require you to do a good washing, perhaps polishing, and sealing or coating of the wheels first.

Yes bought that 3 weeks ago.Great product sizzle chest recommend that to me.

Scottie Brown
02-28-2017, 12:32 AM
This is an issue that is driving me crazy as well! If you put it on directly after cleaning the wheels, canon, etc... does it actually stop rust from building up on the rotors?

shadwell
02-28-2017, 05:21 AM
Using iron X or similar to clean the ferrous dust off the rotor as well as the wheel, completing the wash and blow drying with a leaf blower reduces the re appearance of iron oxide noticeably...

Scottie Brown
02-28-2017, 04:13 PM
That is a great idea with the blower. Thank you shadwell!