PDA

View Full Version : Griots Garage 3" pad question

Pages : [1] 2

Coopers ST
02-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Before I pull the trigger with today's sale. On a GG3, should I get 3.5" boss pads or 3.5" lake country thin pads, or???

Or should I skip those pads and just get this package http://www.autogeek.net/griots-3inch-orbital-machine.html and be ok?

Cruzscarwash
02-19-2017, 11:57 AM
If u need a machine that's a good deal, your basically getting the lads free and you get 25% off to get more pads or a polish

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

MarkD51
02-19-2017, 12:11 PM
There's now a fairly vast assortment of pads that would work fine. Griots Garage's own, Lake Country, like their new Thinpro Pads, and even Meguiars has small Pads which I believe are 4", but are tapered-flared to be 4" at the Pad Surface, but button up to the small Griots Backing Plate perfectly.

Besides Foam Pads, also consider small Microfiber Pads as well. Many say such Pads are one of the best for correction purposes due to their very thin profiles, and less mass to rotate.

The theme to think about with what you pair to this machine, is thin, and less mass, to be your guide to get the best performance from this small and sometimes said to be underpowered machine.

Coopers ST
02-19-2017, 03:29 PM
The little pads that come with this kicked are not too thick are they?

MarkD51
02-19-2017, 04:15 PM
The little pads that come with this kicked are not too thick are they?

Are you referring to the Hydrotech Pads in the link you provided?

Yeah, they might be too thick. Not sure, but possibly no thinner than their larger diameter pads.

Coopers ST
02-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Are you referring to the Hydrotech Pads in the link you provided?

Yeah, they might be too thick. Not sure, but possibly no thinner than their larger diameter pads.

Yes the pads in the kit link

Coopers ST
02-19-2017, 04:28 PM
If u need a machine that's a good deal, your basically getting the lads free and you get 25% off to get more pads or a polish

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I have an order ready, I just don't know if I should get some boss mf pads and the kit, or just the polisher and boss/LCD thin pro pads.

This machine will be used for mirrors, spoilers, bumpers, not a workhorse on the entire car.

MarkD51
02-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Yes the pads in the kit link

I myself would probably bypass that Kit. I once bought Hydrotech Pads a long time back, 4" I believe, and they didn't hold up too well. Lake Country personally replaced those few Pads, and as I understand, the foam composition on them has been changed, but still not that confident to purchase that particular Pad type again.

But the other Lake Country Pads I've used have all been fantastic, well made, durable, and I do have the newest LC Thinpro Pads in both 5.5" and 3.5" and they are really nice.

The Thinpros, Griots, and some of the various MF Pads would be the very best IMO to pair with this small machine.

ducksfan
02-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Do you mind sharing your thoughts on why a GG3 and not a GG6 with a 3" plate?

Cruzscarwash
02-19-2017, 06:35 PM
The GG6 with a 3 inch plate has more then enough power but the overall size is still to large for what your are for the most part trying to get access to. The 3 inch has more then enough power to remove sanding marks when paired with the right pads. In the example that Mike Phillips used it in to remove sanding marks I believe he used the thin pros and had zero issues with it.

Coopers ST
02-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Do you mind sharing your thoughts on why a GG3 and not a GG6 with a 3" plate?

I thought about that. I think the gg3 will get into small areas than the GG6 even with the 3" bp on it.

AZpolisher15
02-19-2017, 08:18 PM
I know the price looks nice on the kit. But I think you'd be happier in the long run with some thinner pads. More effective for correction work. The boss pads are really nice. I prefer the taper on the boss pads over the thin pros, but they're both good choices. I've not used either over the long term, but for some reason the BOSS have a "feel" to them that makes me think they'll outlast the thin pros. But i also see the taper on the BOSS pads as a possible weak point if you're not careful about bumping the edges. Time will tell.

AZpolisher15
02-19-2017, 08:25 PM
FYI the white rupes 4" is really nice for spreading sealants with the GG3.

Mantilgh
02-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Not to push you away from the GG3 on the size thing, but if you look at the dimensions and profile photos, your gain in access is negligible.

It has been proven the the GG3 is a capable machine, and either of those pads should maintain that.

AZpolisher15
02-19-2017, 11:37 PM
Not to push you away from the GG3 on the size thing, but if you look at the dimensions and profile photos, your gain in access is negligible.

It has been proven the the GG3 is a capable machine, and either of those pads should maintain that.

I have both the GG6 and GG3. The 3 is by no means tiny (like the Rupes Nano, for example). Sure, the 3 is smaller and lighter. But to me its kinda like having a full size pickup and a mid sized pickup (as opposed to a full sized pickup and a compact car). In some situations, one WOULD find the size difference significant (esp. for mirrors, spoilers, and bumpers).

Based on the OP's stated uses, the GG3 sounds like it would fit the bill, particularly if used with thin pads. But I do hear you- the size difference isn't nearly what I was expecting when I opened up the box of my GG3. I was expecting it to be MUCH smaller than the GG6, and it wasn't.