PDA

View Full Version : rate my shopping cart for 1st DA

pitt1717
02-19-2017, 10:03 AM
DA will be a GG6 and used for personal vehicle 17 Explorer sport. (darker blue/grey, but not midnight dark)

Nanoskin AutoScrub Medium Grade Wash Mitt
Nanoskin Bubble Bath Wash & Shine Shampoo 16 oz.
Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate
Griots Garage 3 inch HD Backing Plate IN STOCK NOW!
Griots Garage 3 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads - 6 Pack
Pad 1 : Orange Correcting
Pad 2 : Orange Correcting
Pad 3 : Orange Correcting
Pad 4 : Yellow Perfecting
Pad 5 : Yellow Perfecting
Pad 6 : Black Finishing
4 5.5 Inch ThinPro Orange Heavy Cutting Pad (Single)
4 5.5 Inch ThinPro White Polishing Pad (Single)
2 5.5 Inch ThinPro Red Waxing Pad (Single)
Foam Pad Conditioning Brush
Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 6 Pack

Not sure about the pad cleaning. as a newbie and only doing 1 or 2 vehicles a year, just need something basic

Still on the fence using the Pinnacle twins ASR/ASF or something else
need a sealant?
thinking of souveran for wax topper?

love to finish this cart this weekend with the 25% off going on

pitt1717
02-19-2017, 11:37 AM
so it was down to pinnacle and Wolfgang....

I'm thinking to go WG due to the high praise of the sealant and later come back for some wax

Wolfgang Pad Werks Pad Cleaner & Extender Combo (if wife gonna get mad, might as well)
Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

(not sure why I couldn't edit original post)

DaveT435
02-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Looks good so far, I would recommend more towels, love the gold plush jr's. I would say at least a dozen towels.

MarkD51
02-19-2017, 12:47 PM
IMO, you are off to a really great start!

Your Machine, Pad Selection, Towels, and later your Product Selection appear to be very wisely chosen, and will provide admirable results.

The Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (WGDGPS 3.0) is no mistake, a fantastic product, and so is their Pad Cleaner. As for any of WG's Polish choices, again, no mistake with any product within the Wolfgang line-up, yes a little pricey for some items, but you'll know your money was wisely spent, and that you made no mistakes.

As for not being able to edit your first post, there is a time limit of I think 15 minutes max, that you can edit. After that, no can do.

Best of luck and enjoyment with these products you have chosen. You will be extremely pleased with them, and of course Autogeek's fine company, their professional packing, shipping, and customer service.

FlyinLow
02-19-2017, 01:12 PM
I can read your excitement... I was in your shoes a month or two ago. Did my first paint correction on semi-neglected 2005 Escape Sport XLT, Norsea Blue metallic with Dark Shadow Grey trim. After washing/claying, used PC for Megs M105, M205, then JetSeal topped with Megs M26. Not knowing what you already own, here's my take:
- grit guards and TWO buckets for washing, make that 3 if you include one for wheels.
- clay bar and lubricant? You'll want to use that on your paint before polishing, etc, and on your wheels before sealing/waxing.
- Agreed with Dave on the MFs. Diversify the type and color code: big waffleweave for drying and ww for glass. Plush nice for removing product. I think indigo basic type are BOGO right now, good dark color for wheels, motor.
- You've more than enough pads for stated purposes. Fancy pad cleaner nice if you'll be working it straight through and you can justify it. I worked with one each orange, white, black, in 5.5" and 4". Only a bit each night so cleaned on the fly then washed at end of night in deep sink with pad cleaner, APC, and old toothbrush, spinned dry and ready for next day. More is always handy though when doing it all in shorter/normal timeframe.
- trim dressing/protectant? tire brush, tire dressing and applicator? quick detailer for between washings?
- absolute YES on sealant (relative longevity to protect your hard work) topped with carnauba (because IT's CARNAUBA!)
- BE SURE to order your FREE SAMPLE and pick up a WG/BlackFire/Pinnacle product you'd like to try.

I waited for this sale and ordered early this am the wheel woolie set, upholstery, carpet, and scrub (for the shower) brushes for PC/DA, and a few other things I really wanted but could otherwise do without.
Enjoy your new vehicle and taking care of it! It's very rewarding...

...and to think I fumbled around typing this out on an iPhone, only to have battery die before hitting posting...

pitt1717
02-19-2017, 01:54 PM
thanks for the confidence guys. last year I bought a mess of towels, wheel woolies etc so I think I'm good there. even separate ones for wheels and glass, though the white ww I bought I don't like so still looking for a better glass towel.
I bought mcgees37 glass polish and sealer last year as well.
when I first got my truck last august, I prepped, clayed and sealed with zaino aio z2 etc. truck looks good, but I think that product is a bit long in the tooth. this year gonna try my luck with the DA so initial purchase is gonna be a big one.

qq, with the wg sealer, how long do you think the protection will last. I want to try souveran paste for the looks but here that protection is short lived and with kids I can't detail every weekend.
thanks again for the help

MarkD51
02-19-2017, 04:58 PM
As to how long the Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 will last? That of course can be a variable.

Factors will be whether the vehicle is garaged or not, a daily driver, garage queen, etc. Weather conditions, wash techniques, and products used, whether any touch ups are done with other products such as spray detailers after a wash.

Being conservative, I would say on its own on a daily driver, WGDGPS 3.0 might last about 3 months tops with regular washings every 10-12 days. A bit more if the vehicle is garaged, and touched up with detailing sprays, or other fast toppers out there.

There might be some protection left at 3 or so months, but I would say the protection might begin starting to wane, where the protection of course won't be as good as when first applied. Beading, and paint protection will begin to fall off.

With that being said, would I then say WGDGPS 3.0 is not a long lasting product? I think it, and a very comparable product, Menzerna Powerlock Sealants are both very good IMO in that regard, and as to some others out there, I think one starts "cutting hairs" as to how long such products really can last in real world conditions in comparison to one another.

WGDGPS 3.0 is a magnificent product as far as looks, and as far as ease of use. Just a beautiful dripping wet candy apple gloss, and so easy to apply and remove.

I have it, and I regard it as one of the best, if not very best sealant I've ever used, and I've used quite many from Meguiars, Duragloss, Zaino, numerous others, and also including Menzerna Powerlock.

As for the WG Trio of Polishes such as Uber Compound, Total Swirl Remover, and Finishing Glaze, just totally outstanding, these products will always be in my arsenal as main go-to products. Can't say enough good about them.

MarkD51
02-19-2017, 05:34 PM
As for Souveran Paste, never used it, but would assume it's a good product, as it should be for the cost.

I've used Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax, and was left unimpressed, and expected more. Got a small bottle as a freebie sample, and it's just a very watery yellow liquid, akin to a detailer spray is about all it is.

In comparison to some other products, such as Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detailer, I actually like that better, and as far as a comparison to a product such as Duragloss Aquawax, again also like that better, and the price of Aquawax is very cheap in comparison and probably works every bit as good and lasts as long if not longer I thought.

An alternative to Souveran Paste, less expensive, and no doubt lasts much longer, would be Collinite #845 Liquid Insulator Wax. Collinite #476 Super Doublecoat Paste will likely last longer than both Wolfgang Fuzion and Souveran put together, and again an inexpensive product for what it can do.

Souveran, and Fuzion "might" look a little better, probably are more considered "beauty waxes", and Fuzion a hybrid product, but there's surely nothing at all wrong with the look of either Collinite #845, or #476, both outstanding hallmark products in their own right, and have been around a long time with many fans.

pilotpip
02-19-2017, 07:55 PM
I have a 14 sport in tuxedo black metallic. I currently have a PC, so pretty close in ability (the GG6 is a better machine). I'm using the CCS pads, but will probably switch to thin pros. I currently have 6 orange, 6 white, and 2 black pads for applying sealant. Also have 2 red pads that came with my purchase that I've never used as I like to put the topper on by hand. The 3" backing plate will probably help a ton around the front fender and other areas as there are a lot of curves and narrow painted sections. If not for those, I'd suggest a few more large pads.

AIOs are a nice trade off. Some cut, and some protection, but not as much as a dedicated polish or sealant. I've had good luck with the McKee's line. I really like 360 AIO with an orange pad on my F-150 (blue jean metallic), and will probably like it on the explorer after I do a good 3 step correction. I went with their Fast Compound, and had a bottle of the old XMT-1 polish from a previous mystery box. Since both of my vehicles are dark I decided to get some of the blackfire wet diamond sealant on sale to try something new but I was very, very close to picking up some WGDGPS but the sale got me. I really, really like the way both have looked top with McKee's 'nuba over griots paint sealant.

AZpolisher15
02-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Great list. How about two 6 packs of 5.5" pads instead of 10 singles?