PDA

View Full Version : Important* new flex polisher question

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

fightnews
02-19-2017, 09:17 AM
I'm using my new flex xc3401 polisher for the first time. I noticed the factory backing plate doesn't tighten solid onto the machine. The allen screw is definitely tight and the backing plate has a wobble to it. I can put fingers on each side and move it up and down. I don't know if this is normal because its my first time owning one.

the machine is definitely hard to control. i new it was going to be tougher the the GG6 or the G15 but it seems excessive and its walking a lot. the backing plate on my G15 is solid. im using a 6.5" orange correction pad from griots.

i was hoping guys with flex machines can tell me if thier backing plate wobbles or not? Also does anyone know a number I can call to get this straightened out if the wobble is actually a problem? I'm not sure who to go to with warranty issues and stuff like that.

thanks in advance for helping me out,

Setec Astronomy
02-19-2017, 09:36 AM
The walking is part of the learning curve for a forced-rotation or direct-drive (rotary) machine.

The wobble isn't normal, IIRC there is a flat-sided washer where the backing plate attaches, are you sure everything is lined up correctly in there? Did you take the backing plate off?

Audios S6
02-19-2017, 09:38 AM
My backing plate does not wobble. Do you have the small factory washer installed? It will be more difficult to control, especially at higher speed. You really do have to keep the pad flat.

Contact flex USA for you question. Powerhouse tool does warranty repair in the US.

fightnews
02-19-2017, 09:52 AM
ya its on right and there is definitely a wobble, it seems hard to control

fightnews
02-19-2017, 09:54 AM
So on you guys flex machines the backing plate wont move at all if you wiggle it? for the money it cost i def want one that doesnt wobble

vobro
02-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Mine doesn't wobble, I'd contact whomever you bought from first especially if it's brand new. I'd take the plate off and recheck everything just to make sure

fightnews
02-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Mine doesn't wobble, I'd contact whomever you bought from first especially if it's brand new. I'd take the plate off and recheck everything just to make sure

ok yeah its definitely not right, i bought it from autogeek so i will call them tomorrow if they are open. the thing cost almost 400 dollars i dont want any defects. its so frustrating this happens to me all the time. no matter what i do there has to be a problem

fightnews
02-19-2017, 11:48 AM
ok thanks guys, clearly its not supposed to wobble. i packed it back up in the box and ill call autogeek so they can swap it out for one that works. disappointing but i understand these things happen. if anyone from customer service is reading can you send me contact information please. id like to get this done as soon as possible,

i dont know if they are open tomorrow?

Mike@ShineStruck
02-19-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm using my new flex xc3401 polisher for the first time. I noticed the factory backing plate doesn't tighten solid onto the machine. The allen screw is definitely tight and the backing plate has a wobble to it. I can put fingers on each side and move it up and down. I don't know if this is normal because its my first time owning one.

the machine is definitely hard to control. i new it was going to be tougher the the GG6 or the G15 but it seems excessive and its walking a lot. the backing plate on my G15 is solid. im using a 6.5" orange correction pad from griots.

i was hoping guys with flex machines can tell me if thier backing plate wobbles or not? Also does anyone know a number I can call to get this straightened out if the wobble is actually a problem? I'm not sure who to go to with warranty issues and stuff like that.

thanks in advance for helping me out,

i
ill check to see if my backingplate has sidewobble...but as for the walking issue..
if you keep the polisher level/pad flat the issues will be virtually eliminated...as I still have minor walk/push on the lower panels like the bottom door or rockers.

you also need to hold the polisher differently then if you would with a GG6 or Boss/rupes longthrow
instead of vertical..hold it almost horizontal sasy like 2 oclock or 10 oclock depending on if youre lefty or righty

and NO it doesnt have wobble..you can attempt to rotate it and hear a sound before it locks but that about it

DaveT435
02-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Sounds like maybe the screw is cross threaded, if the screw feels tight but the p,ate is loose. If you haven't taken off or put on the backing plate I wouldn't. Make sure the washer is there. I would contact Flex USA before you do much if anything. If it's a cross threaded screw and you've taken it off it would be normal for them to think you cross threaded it...

fightnews
02-19-2017, 12:37 PM
i
ill check to see if my backingplate has sidewobble...but as for the walking issue..
if you keep the polisher level/pad flat the issues will be virtually eliminated...as I still have minor walk/push on the lower panels like the bottom door or rockers.

you also need to hold the polisher differently then if you would with a GG6 or Boss/rupes longthrow
instead of vertical..hold it almost horizontal sasy like 2 oclock or 10 oclock depending on if youre lefty or righty

and NO it doesnt have wobble..you can attempt to rotate it and hear a sound before it locks but that about it

no i know it took me a while to figure out its broken. that little wobble throws everything off. looking back now you can tell by the polishing trails its bouncing all over the place. its just a defective tool

also to add i have my new g15 to compare it to and the g15 is solid.

fightnews
02-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Sounds like maybe the screw is cross threaded, if the screw feels tight but the p,ate is loose. If you haven't taken off or put on the backing plate I wouldn't. Make sure the washer is there. I would contact Flex USA before you do much if anything. If it's a cross threaded screw and you've taken it off it would be normal for them to think you cross threaded it...

its not cross threaded bro, i know what you mean though, everything is in right the backing plate is just not secure to the machine. i just want a new one because its such an expensive tool. they can figure it out and sell it refurbished or whatever.

i think the fact that the backing plate is hard plastic instead of metal may have something to do with it.

edit.. i emailed customer service, gave them the order number and told them the problem hopefully they will get back to me soon. i told them i dont want it fixed i just want a new one thats not broken. i bought it like two weeks ago but last night and today was my first time using it. im not blaming autogeek i know they dont manufacture the thing

thanks for all the help guys

spazzz
02-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Looky here I can make it move.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q781/spazzz11/flex_zpsrsl2kh5f.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q781/spazzz11/flex1_zpsiklpfpmw.jpg

fightnews
02-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Looky here I can make it move.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q781/spazzz11/flex_zpsrsl2kh5f.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q781/spazzz11/flex1_zpsiklpfpmw.jpg

maybe you can but its not supposed to. mines broken its just about unusable with a 6.5 inch pad. i know its not right its not a little movement its a lot. is that even the factory backing plate you have on there?

can you shake the plate back and forth easy and make noise? thats what mines doing

spazzz
02-19-2017, 01:11 PM
maybe you can but its not supposed to. mines broken its just about unusable with a 6.5 inch pad. i know its not right its not a little movement its a lot. is that even the factory backing plate you have on there?

can you shake the plate back and forth easy and make noise? thats what mines doing

It is the factory backing plate I shaved down to 5 inches. It clicks back and forth when I tug on it, always has.

It has worked great for 3 years.