PDA

View Full Version : What to do after touchless car wash

Crispy
02-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Could not resist after 2 solid weeks of winter crap on my DD.

Went through a touchless car wash and then 2 blocks to my cold garage.

Turned on the heaters and let her sit for an hour.

What to do to restore the shine.

ONRW&S in a garden sprayer followed by drying towel.

Turned out really nice (missed a few spots as lighting sucks in garage).

Any recommendations for better/fine tuning of this method.

PS. The car was full of salt spray and road grime which needed to be removed by wet washing.

This is not possible when it is -8C (18 F).

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-16-2017, 09:50 PM
So did you perform an actual rinseless wash? If not, I would start there.

Detailsbydaniel
02-16-2017, 11:47 PM
After a good rinseless with uber or McKees just top with a wax or sealant, it will be as beautiful as ever

TTQ B4U
02-16-2017, 11:51 PM
Could not resist after 2 solid weeks of winter crap on my DD.

Went through a touchless car wash and then 2 blocks to my cold garage.
Turned on the heaters and let her sit for an hour.
What to do to restore the shine.
ONRW&S in a garden sprayer followed by drying towel.

Turned out really nice (missed a few spots as lighting sucks in garage). Any recommendations for better/fine tuning of this method.

PS. The car was full of salt spray and road grime which needed to be removed by wet washing. This is not possible when it is -8C (18 F).

Not sure what the weather/seasons are like where you are, but personally, I'd look into adding a heating system and better lighting. Heater and install, including a 220w line will likely be $550, lighting will vary but perhaps another $300 or so if you have someone do it for you.

It will go a long way to helping and I'm not being sarcastic.

hmardown
02-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Crispy
just did the exact same thing. touchless wash & came home & parked in the garage. did the entire truck with a rinse less wash. before throwing out my product I went around & did all the wheels & tires. the black pickup will stay clean for a couple of days in 20 to 30* weather. I must say it's the first time I ever used the rinse less wash method & I'm really likening it. easy to use indoors and not to messy. I use the waterless wash on my old car but will be using the rinse less on my newer vehicles. good luck.
hmardown

Desertnate
02-17-2017, 08:19 AM
You probably don't want to hear this, but my advice would be, nothing.

I know it's painful, but in the dead of winter I've come to live with the fact my car is going to be dirty. Touchless washes only get off the worst of the grime and salt, but I view them as a necessary evil to keep me going until warmer weather hits. All of our vehicles are wearing a durable LSP, so I take a wait-it-out approach and lower my standards until Spring arrives.

grambow
02-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Lately, I wait until the temp is above 20 degrees. The warmer, the better. But not too warm that you are running through melting snow on the way home or wating in mile long lines at the car wash. I use the self serve bay and just the pressure spray, no soap! The pressure is enough to blow off the surface crud including the wheels and wheelwells. Then, I drive home to my unheated garage and do an ONR wash with a pump sprayer and thick MFs. I dont always do the wheels. Last week I did the wheels and added a layer of Megs Quick Wax to the entire car. My M4 looked like a million bucks! I love that selfserve bays have credit card machines now! I rarely have cash so now I can just stop on a whim after work or whatever. (Note: I 845'd in the fall as my winter protection. This helps a lot!)