PDA

View Full Version : Plastic on instrument cluster question

Pages : [1] 2

greg72982
02-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Hi everyone, I just bought a new truck, picked it up on Tuesday. That night I realized there was a small scratch in the clear plastic of the instrument cluster. I've attached a pic, it's near the 20 mph reading. I called the dealer who said they would probably replace the cluster but I asked if there was any other alternative and he said he'd get back to me tomorrow.

I'm just not a fan of replacing an otherwise functional cluster on a brand new truck, so if they say that's the only option, is this something I can fix in my own? Maybe with PlastX or something similar? It's not very deep, probably caused by cleaning it. Sorry the picture isn't the best. Thanks in advance.

Morrison
02-16-2017, 06:59 PM
I had some minor scratches in mine as well. I went with Novus. It worked really good. They have a fine scratch remover and one for deeper scratches and a cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

AZpolisher15
02-17-2017, 12:38 AM
If it's brand new and absolutely defect free other than one bad scratch-- you'll probably end up making the whole thing worse attempting to correct in place (micro-marring). I do understand the apprehension and possible squeaks that might come with replacement/disassembly of a brand new dash. Tough spot you're in.

My philosophy- if you have a clear plastic panel in bad shape already, you can probably improve it in place with some polishing. But if it's pristine, for the most part, except for a couple little defects, you may be better off living with the defects. Wish I had better news for you. I should also add, I don't always follow my own advice (and usually wish I had).

Rsurfer
02-17-2017, 01:06 AM
If it's brand new and absolutely defect free other than one bad scratch-- you'll probably end up making the whole thing worse attempting to correct in place (micro-marring). I do understand the apprehension and possible squeaks that might come with replacement/disassembly of a brand new dash. Tough spot you're in.

My philosophy- if you have a clear plastic panel in bad shape already, you can probably improve it in place with some polishing. But if it's pristine, for the most part, except for a couple little defects, you may be better off living with the defects. Wish I had better news for you. I should also add, I don't always follow my own advice (and usually wish I had).

I respectively disagree. It's a brand new truck (2 days), let the dealer try to correct it to his satisfaction.

It's not the fault of the OP that someone other then he scratched the gauge.

KirkH
02-17-2017, 01:25 AM
I have polished out etching from my gauge plastic of my 2016 Camaro. Spilled milk etched the plastic. I tried Plastx without much luck. Polished with an orange hand pad and some Meguiar's ScratchX, followed by white pad and Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. It is no longer noticeable.

Eldorado2k
02-17-2017, 01:29 AM
Just keep in mind how many people get the shaft by the dealership in similar situations... Here we have the dealer who plain and simply said "eh we'll probably just replace it with a new 1 for you"... And OP is against going through all that.

Well since you're against them replacing it for free, you run a good chance of having to live with that same scratch that bothered you enough to post about...

If it was me, I'd say thank you very much and let them replace it with a new 1.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone

Trip
02-17-2017, 01:36 AM
Go for the new that's what warranty is all about

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

AZpolisher15
02-18-2017, 12:52 AM
I respectively disagree. It's a brand new truck (2 days), let the dealer try to correct it to his satisfaction.

It's not the fault of the OP that someone other then he scratched the gauge.

I agree. It'd bug the daylights outta me on a new vehicle.

greg72982
02-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to just leave it be. My dad is a mechanic and he warned me about the lack of knowledge of many dealer mechanics today. He said you risk one of them screwing something up upon repair. I'll just pretend it's not there.

oneheadlite
02-20-2017, 09:10 AM
As a technician by trade, and being really picky about things you pay good money for, I would have them replace it.

An instrument cluster is generally a very simple thing to replace, and I think any manufacturer is keen on helping fix any squeaks and rattles early on in the warranty period (on the off chance you should end up with any from someone going in there). Also, as others have said that plastic can be tricky to try and fix yourself. Hate to end up with it in worse shape and not be able to get help with it.

What kind of truck is it? I can poke around and see what the repair procedure is to confirm it's not some over complicated repair you have to worry about.

greg72982
02-24-2017, 12:15 AM
Sorry for the delay, it's a 2016 GMC Canyon

PA DETAILER
02-24-2017, 06:55 AM
It is BRAND NEW. You paid for that factory warranty in the total price of the truck. USE IT! I for one, would have them replace it to your satisfaction.

oneheadlite
02-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Looks like they'll have to pull the A pillar trims, dash top and cluster trim to replace it. I would still make them replace it, but be up front about your apprehension about the possibility of any squeaks and rattles. That way they understand you won't be happy on the off chance it doesn't turn out well.

Just because a dash comes apart, doesn't mean you're destined for noises. I've pulled a number of BMW interiors out down to the firewall (a/c repairs), and never had any problems (or leftover parts) upon reassembly.

PaulMys
02-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to just leave it be. My dad is a mechanic and he warned me about the lack of knowledge of many dealer mechanics today. He said you risk one of them screwing something up upon repair. I'll just pretend it's not there.

Please do NOT pretend it's not there. You ordered a brand new truck. It should be delivered as such.
Many people will just "settle" for less than 100% satisfaction. Any new truck nowadays is well in excess of 35k, and up to 70k for a high-end.

No chump change to say the least.

If you do not feel like a complete dash replacement would make you comfortable (I would agree), then you are entitled to a brand new truck. Does that sound excessive? Maybe to the person who isn't paying 35-70k, but you are.

Let the dealer try to polish that scratch out and pawn it off on someone else. Lesson learned on their part.

Bottom line is, new is new. Do NOT settle.

AZpolisher15
02-25-2017, 12:42 AM
Please do NOT pretend it's not there. You ordered a brand new truck. It should be delivered as such.
Many people will just "settle" for less than 100% satisfaction. Any new truck nowadays is well in excess of 35k, and up to 70k for a high-end.

No chump change to say the least.

If you do not feel like a complete dash replacement would make you comfortable (I would agree), then you are entitled to a brand new truck. Does that sound excessive? Maybe to the person who isn't paying 35-70k, but you are.

Let the dealer try to polish that scratch out and pawn it off on someone else. Lesson learned on their part.

Bottom line is, new is new. Do NOT settle.

Not excessive at all. You get much over a $500 and I start gazing with a pretty critical eye. Over $35k!?!?! I might tolerate a microfiber swirl on a tail light. But a scratch on the gauge cluster... that would be nearly impossible for a geek.