PDA

View Full Version : Black Lexus SUV paint restoration

lj993
02-16-2017, 02:32 AM
Some elderly friends called. They had closed the garage door without pulling their 10 year old Lexus all the way into the garage. The garage door left some nasty white marks p/scratches on the black rear hatch. You would have thought that they had totaled the car. The paint looked like it had never seen any wax. The body is really straight with only a few chips in the paint. However, the finish was covered with micro scratches. I didn't have much time. After I clayed the surfaces, I hit the rear hatch with my rupes 3401 an orange pad and some optimum blue compound. It worked pretty well. I followed up with another orange pad and HD speed. It finished out beautifully. I just couldn't stop without taking a stab at the hood. Nothing like a badly marred black hood to test your detailing skills. I started with the optimum blue compound and followed up with the HD speed. I saw a bit of hazing after the compound. The HD speed cleaned it right up and resulted in a deep
, rich finish. I tried the optimum blue compound and followed with the optimum pink polish and then the HD speed on one half of the hood. It looked great but the compound/polish/HD speed side didn't show any detectible difference over the compound/HD speed side. The optimum compound did cause some dusting. The HD speed produced no dust. The optimum compound loaded up the pads in a hurry. A fresh pad probably would have resulted in more cut and a cleaner finish. After I was finished up, The hood came out really well. There were still a few deeper scratches that are going to need a bit more work. The car owners were thrilled. I need to finish it out the rest of the car, but the rain predicted for So Cal over the next several days may wash out my plans. I really like the HD speed. For most situations it works great. Fast, easy no dust and the price is about as reasonable as you will find. All the best. Phil

Photos attached. One of the shots shows a split shot half after the optimum compound and half before any work was done.

lj993
02-16-2017, 02:34 AM
More photos

lj993
02-16-2017, 02:38 AM
And a few more pre compound and pre HD speed. The paint looked pretty nasty. Cleaned up nicely.

Mike Honcho
02-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Great job! I've got an obsidian black Lexus, too. The paint is super soft!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Celabe
02-16-2017, 10:41 AM
That came out pretty good, I know justntomtouchnthendamaged area and noticed other areas needed some TLC , I would have probably done the same, thanks for sharing !!

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)