PDA

View Full Version : Old Guy wanting New Tricks

jmeyers278
02-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Hey people, I worked in a detail shop ages ago (like late 90"s). I know technology has come a long way since then in this business. I have used griots polishes for a while and rejex as my finish product and I have had pretty good results. I am looking for a product that will allow me to apply to my dailies that will provide more protection but would like to have something that is okay for trim too. I used a wax a LONG time ago that you could pretty much apply to everything, plastic, rubber, glass, paint etc. but it didn't last very long. What is out there now?

Setec Astronomy
02-15-2017, 10:42 AM
The most foolproof way to do that would be to use a WOWA (wipe on, walk away) sealant, like Opti-Seal, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, or Blackfire Crystal Seal.

Another way to go with perhaps a little less longevity would be a spray wax like Optimum Car Wax, Megiuar's Ultimate Quik Wax/D156, or Duragloss Aquawax.

Or to go the other direction, you can use a wax like Collinite 845, which I've never had any trouble with on rubber or trim, except I wouldn't used it on the fuzzy rubber around windows or sunroofs.

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Second for Optimum Car Wax. Safe on all exterior surfaces.

Ancient1
02-15-2017, 11:56 AM
I have WG Uber coating on all my exterior including trim, glass, chrome and even my engine bay. My tires are the only exterior area that doesn't have Uber on it (they have Tuf Shine coating tho). How long it will hold up in the engine compartment I don't know since not sure that even with a cleaning and final wipe with a panel wipe if I got the surfaces clean enough for a good bond.

Ace22
02-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Try Carpro Hydro 2...can't get any easier than that

Paul A.
02-15-2017, 05:05 PM
I would also suggest Collinite 845. Doesn't stain trim and is long lasting. If you want to lay something down and not mess with it again for a while you might want to look at a coating. I have McKee's Paint Coating on my wife's car because I do like to work on it and forget it for a while (except for washes).

I used to apply RejeX to my wheels and loved that stuff.

detailsbydennis
02-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Simply...It's all in the prep. Building a healthy finish. Decontamination,clay bar and good quality wax.sealant

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

jmeyers278
02-17-2017, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone....I did some of the prep and a wax today...going to go with wg uber coating I think

dlc95
02-18-2017, 03:58 AM
Optimum Opti-Seal, and Rupes 808 Protective Sealant. These products are so easy, and so potent that it feels like cheating.

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, and probably Ultimate Fast Finish might work too, but for sure the first two I mentioned.

FUNX650
02-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks everyone....
I did some of the prep and a wax today...
going to go with wg uber coating I think
IMO:
Wax probably isn't the best car-care
product to be used as a "paint-prep"
before the application of Wolfgang's
Uber Coating.

Bob

BudgetPlan1
02-18-2017, 11:01 AM
IMO:
Wax probably isn't the best car-care
product to be used as a "paint-prep"