PDA

View Full Version : Anyone incorporate foam into a rinseless wash?

Pages : [1] 2

HAMBO
02-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Hello all,

In our area you can get a pretty hefty fine for using a hose and 2BM to wash your car, so I have mostly been doing rinesless washes. I have a portable Foamer (http://www.autogeek.net/kwazar-pro-super-foamer.html), so can produce some OK foam without using a hose. Was wondering whether anyone incorporates foam into their rinseless wash routine?

I have on occasion used the foamer I bought when I go to the local coin-op so as to use my own ph neutral foam (rather than their foam). I do a foam + pressure washer rinse, then go home and do a rinseless wash with ONR (with a layer of diluted ONR also spayed on as pre-treatment), but that's time consuming with the back and forth to the coin-op. I was wondering whether anyone else uses foam in this or some other way in a rinseless wash? Maybe as a pre-treatment before doing the rinseless wash (ie instead of using diluted ONR as pre treatment)?

Thanks!

HAMBO

KirkH
02-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Recently did a 94 Porsche Boxster in a special order gold/yellow color paint. 13,000 miles, garage kept, no swirls. I was scared to rub on it. I foamed and rinsed, then did a rinseless. This would be my method for classic cars with no swirls.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8665/29756702723_5bb452c99e_c.jpg

ducksfan
02-15-2017, 01:30 AM
Yep. I've used that exact same foamer as a presoaker for rinseless wash. I have P21s Total Auto Wash in it mixed 1:20. It works fine.

FUNX650
02-15-2017, 07:27 AM
•Is there a set-in-stone procedure that
must be followed to accomplish a RW?
-IMO: No.

•With that in mind I say:
'Go ahead; add "incorporating
foam to a RW" to the ever-growing
list of the Hybrid RW Methods'.
-Who's going to stop you?!?

Bob

HAMBO
02-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Yep. I've used that exact same foamer as a presoaker for rinseless wash. I have P21s Total Auto Wash in it mixed 1:20. It works fine.

Thanks. Curious, did the car wash foam leave any residue after the rinseless wash that you needed to rinse off with a hose, or did the rinseless wash pickup all the foam?
Also may I ask what wash medium you use for rinseless washing? Any concerns about getting foam on the wash media and dunking it back into the rinseless bucket (if you plan to reuse the rinseless solution that is, if you don’t plan to then it probably wouldn’t matter at all)? Thanks!

The Guz
02-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Wash weekly with ONR and you don't have to use any sort of foam pre-wash. It's all I do weekly whether it is ONR, D114 or McKee's 37 N-914 rinsless wash.

HAMBO
02-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Wash weekly with ONR and you don't have to use any sort of foam pre-wash. It's all I do weekly whether it is ONR, D114 or McKee's 37 N-914 rinsless wash.

So yes, I totally agree that would work. Issue for me has been that I moved recently and don't have a garage (so car is more exposed to the elements) and haven't had the time to wash weekly (more like every two weeks or so). Car is just a bit too dirty for comfort to do a routine ONR wash, so looking for a bit more protection, but thanks for the suggestion. Great general advice.

Mike Phillips
02-15-2017, 06:30 PM
Kind of a paint to go to and you have to save up your quarters but how about a do-it-yourself car wash?

At least you have running water.... and use the foam or anything...

Blasting Bird Bombs at the Coin-Op Car Wash! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76554-blasting-bird-bombs-coin-op-car-wash.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2282/800_Bird_Droppings_on_SLK_350_Coated_011.jpg

:)

The Guz
02-15-2017, 06:52 PM
So yes, I totally agree that would work. Issue for me has been that I moved recently and don't have a garage (so car is more exposed to the elements) and haven't had the time to wash weekly (more like every two weeks or so). Car is just a bit too dirty for comfort to do a routine ONR wash, so looking for a bit more protection, but thanks for the suggestion. Great general advice.

My daily sits outside 24/7 so I know what you mean. Same goes for my dad's and mom's. Most of the time I wash them weekly with ONR and the big red sponge. Two of the cars are coated while mine just has a sealant. If they are not washed weekly then they still get washed the same way at 2 weeks. I will pre-soak heavier soiled areas.

My Camaro on the other hand spends most of the time in the garage so that one does not get that dirty but rather dusty.

Do what Mike says and take it to a coin up and take your buckets and ONR with you to be more efficient.

HAMBO
02-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Kind of a paint to go to and you have to save up your quarters but how about a do-it-yourself car wash?

At least you have running water.... and use the foam or anything...

Blasting Bird Bombs at the Coin-Op Car Wash! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76554-blasting-bird-bombs-coin-op-car-wash.html)

:)

Thanks for chiming in Mike! Appreciate it. Yep, I have done that on occasion (tried to reference it in my original post) and it works well, just takes a long time with this LA traffic! ;)

HAMBO
02-15-2017, 08:11 PM
My daily sits outside 24/7 so I know what you mean. Same goes for my dad's and mom's. Most of the time I wash them weekly with ONR and the big red sponge. Two of the cars are coated while mine just has a sealant. If they are not washed weekly then they still get washed the same way at 2 weeks. I will pre-soak heavier soiled areas.

My Camaro on the other hand spends most of the time in the garage so that one does not get that dirty but rather dusty.

Do what Mike says and take it to a coin up and take your buckets and ONR with you to be more efficient.

Thanks! My car is coated as well, so at least has good protection outside too.

So not to change the topic too much, but I recently tried an ONR wash with no pre rinse with a hose or coin-op (just a bit of presoak with ONR) using the big red sponge...have to say I wasn't a fan. I found the sponge pushed more dirt around than it did remove it (my drying towel was covered in dirt), and some parts of the process just seemed to have more friction than I cared for. Definitely felt less safe than using multiple MF towels, but have to say it was much more convenient than using 7-8 MF towels, and less clean up. That's what made me curious whether there was a way to try again with more protection.

Seems the right way to go is find some way (either coin op or other) to blast off the car / top layer of dirt with water (maybe pre soak with foam) then do an ONR wash. Would try that routine with the BRS again to see if it works any better.

ducksfan
02-15-2017, 10:02 PM
Thanks. Curious, did the car wash foam leave any residue after the rinseless wash that you needed to rinse off with a hose, or did the rinseless wash pickup all the foam?
Also may I ask what wash medium you use for rinseless washing? Any concerns about getting foam on the wash media and dunking it back into the rinseless bucket (if you plan to reuse the rinseless solution that is, if you don’t plan to then it probably wouldn’t matter at all)? Thanks!

No residue because both methods I use to rinseless wash involve an excessive amount of liquid. I use Uber, ONR, D114 and Ultima WW+ in a sprayer system or in a bucket (both with a sponge) depending on the situation. I don't reuse solution.

The Guz
02-15-2017, 11:42 PM
Thanks! My car is coated as well, so at least has good protection outside too.

So not to change the topic too much, but I recently tried an ONR wash with no pre rinse with a hose or coin-op (just a bit of presoak with ONR) using the big red sponge...have to say I wasn't a fan. I found the sponge pushed more dirt around than it did remove it (my drying towel was covered in dirt), and some parts of the process just seemed to have more friction than I cared for. Definitely felt less safe than using multiple MF towels, but have to say it was much more convenient than using 7-8 MF towels, and less clean up. That's what made me curious whether there was a way to try again with more protection.

Seems the right way to go is find some way (either coin op or other) to blast off the car / top layer of dirt with water (maybe pre soak with foam) then do an ONR wash. Would try that routine with the BRS again to see if it works any better.

It's normal to see dirt on your drying towel.

Did you let the BRS soak in ONR in the bucket for a few hours before using it?

You could always try a wash mitt with ONR.

Have you thought about a waterless wash during the middle of the week to keep the paint clean.

AZpolisher15
02-16-2017, 12:00 AM
In looking at reviews, the new McKee's 37 N-914 rinsless wash has a "sudsing" aspect to it. I know there's a great recently posted review around here with photos. I wonder if it could be somehow "forced" into a foam-ing role in a rinseless procedure?

Eldorado2k
02-16-2017, 12:02 AM
It's normal to see dirt on your drying towel.

Wouldn't that lead to swirls?

Sent from my iPhone