PDA

View Full Version : Water Spots

Bicycle
02-13-2017, 04:39 PM
I know this has been addressed numerous times but I'm gonna ask again. On a friends '15 white Grand Cherokee which he just bought as a used vehicle there are water spots on the paint and sun roof. He's used vinegar and tried claying it, but there's still a faint trace in the paint and glass of the sun roof. I assume buffing it out would work but I've read of a product
you guys use that's really effective in removing water spots.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DARK HORSE
02-13-2017, 06:07 PM
If you catch them before they etch into the surface CarPro Spotless should do the trick. Just remember, Spotless is an acidic solution - so wear disposable gloves while working to avoid possible skin irritation. Do not use in the sun or on a hot surface. Don't spray directly on glass. Spray on a microfiber towel, sponge, or CarPro applicator/suede and buff in and off instantly. Rinse well with water to neutralize. Spotless may degrade window coatings, traditional sealants and waxes, but will not affect quality paint coatings.

Cruzscarwash
02-13-2017, 06:23 PM
This is carpros spotless as a clay lube and then mckees 360 AIO. spotless as a lube typically takes them away and for Windows I've been using the megs 4 that Mike suggested as it's chunkier or grittier and works great

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

forrest@mothers
02-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Your profile doesn't mention where you live - is it possible they are acid etchings instead?

Stop by an (old-time) real camera shop or try Amazon and buy a loupe. Place it over the water spot and see if it's concave with a textured finish. If so, that's an acid etching that will need to be buffed out. Water spots are minerals left above the paint surface (convex).

Paper mills in the south are notorious for that type of damage. Industrial manufacturing where chemicals are used are another possibility.

Let us know what the loupe shows.

Bicycle
02-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Thanks. I'll try the carpro spotless.

TTQ B4U
02-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Thanks. I'll try the carpro spotless.

Works great. I keep it on hand, especially in the summer months. Sprinklers or even light showers, sun and heat cause them.

goldenlight
02-14-2017, 06:29 AM
Have you tried a finishing polish or compound?

GSKR
02-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Clr works great for that promblem.carpro makes fantastic products but spotless is diluted to much and not as effective.

hi end auto
02-14-2017, 08:01 AM
nanoskin spotfree works really really good!!!!! far better than spotless

FUNX650
02-14-2017, 12:24 PM
He's used vinegar and tried claying it,
but there's still a faint trace in the paint
and glass of the sun roof.

I assume buffing it out would work

but I've read of a product you guys
use that's really effective in removing
water spots.