PDA

View Full Version : New car- what's the best starter kit to buy for washing/clay or ironx/polishing/sealing?

newcar17
02-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Second post here, my first post ended up saving me almost $300 since I had decided to take my brand new car to a local detailer but now I've decided to detail it myself (after watching some of the videos on this site). I realized that it isn't hard to detail a car (esp since ours is brand new). Well, hopefully it's not going to be hard :). I have learned that there may be imperfections that are hiding in plain site that I haven't seen yet. I still need to get the car out in the sun and look for swirls after washing it.

I'm looking at some of the car care kits on the site.

I basically need everything, bucket, car wash supplies like a good mit and good drying towels, clay or don't know if that ironx product would be better, polishing product and supplies and a good paint sealant.

Basically everything needed to do the four steps of washing
Clay
Polishing
Sealing

I'm a little over whelmed with all of the products and kits on here.

Can someone recommend a good kit that gives me everything I need?

Thanks in advance!

Hammer77
02-11-2017, 03:10 PM
I never bought a kit from AG. When I joined I read as much as I could, and from there I made choices on what the regular forum members were saying. For a good wash I recommend Megs Hyperwash, clay I really like Pinnacle Fine Poly, polish will depend on your defects, since its a new car maybe Wolfgang Finishing Glaze will be all you need, sealing once again Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant, it is very nice. I would go with Iron X or McKee's Xtreme Iron remover. If your on a budget do the decon, clay and McKee's 360 AIO. Are you doing this by hand?

BTW, welcome to the addiction!

Bill1234
02-11-2017, 03:36 PM
Ive never bought a kit but I have bought
autogeeks clay bars -about 20 bucks for 3 bars, good value
iron x spray or gel-get the 32 oz bottle and make sure its the lemon scent-you will thank me later on this
I use m105 and m205 on red meguiars microfiber pads. They cut and finish well. Also use the wax pads from meguiars too.

Sealing I have not done really-depends how long you want the car sealed for really. I just use collinite 476s every year

Id get the Griots garage red DA -it has a lifetime warranty and good power

also would buy the ridgid shop vac with the car care kit. Comes with a long hose and nozzle attachments

KirkH
02-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Right now there are good deals on bucket kits. I bought these, I couldn't pass up the deal!

Duragloss Aquawax Wash N Wax In-A-Bucket Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-aquawax-bucket-kit.html?_ga=1.125768650.1356427557.1481303669)

BLACKFIRE New Car Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-new-car-kit.html?_ga=1.235869377.1356427557.1481303669)