PDA

View Full Version : polishing headlight help?

Pages : [1] 2

fightnews
02-11-2017, 04:04 AM
my headlights are in good condition only three years old, they have some spotting i wanted to clean up. i have miguiars plastx. do i need to put a sealant or something on there after i use it? do the headlights come with a coating that the plastx will take off? thats the part im not clear on?

DogRescuer
02-11-2017, 06:37 AM
Im not familiar with plastx but I would :
First see if that "spotting " can be removed with a polish. If NOT try a compound, that should do it.
Next after cleaning with a IPA and drying, apply Optilens.
Yes headlights have a thin layer of uv protection on them that WILL wear off.

Mike@ShineStruck
02-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Forget plastx get the McKee 37 headlight kit
Ditch the bundled headlight paint sealant it comes with though..

For protection, and forum rules, I can't state what I use. But
Something from AGO
You can use the meguairs headlight spray coatings..Believe it's called clarity UV coating..

Or you can use a ceramic coating like Opti lens or Wolfgang uber

Mike@ShineStruck
02-11-2017, 10:25 AM
Or use any compound you have on hand with wool pad you have on hand and go to town

All headlights come with a factory UV coatings..No compound I've tried will take it off, which is why when a factory UV coating has crazing(think crow feet on Honda clear) you need to sand with 600 grit or lower

AZpolisher15
02-11-2017, 11:53 AM
I've used PlastX extensively on headlights. Yes it can be used on your headlights by hand without destroying the factory UV coating on the lenses. Put a few drops on a soft microfiber and rub it it into the surface. It will start out kinda like a wet polish, then get sort of tacky feeling and look like oily smudges on the lenses. Keep rubbing and buff off the smudges-- Just like if you were wiping some grease off a mirror or window. It works great for removing mild surface spotting.

plastX has a "built in" sealer component. Not necessary to seal afterwards, but adding your own sealant wouldn't hurt a thing.

LSNAutoDetailing
02-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Headlights typically get polished along with the rest of the vehicle. If they're really bad I've seen M105 (via DA and cut pad) clean them up nicely, then throw a coating of DLUX on them.

DogRescuer
02-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Thanks paul I believe in starting out LESS agresive.

PaulMys
02-11-2017, 09:49 PM
I've said this before in a few other threads: Collinite 845.

Once you remove your spots, give your headlight lenses 3-4 coats. I have done this since my truck was new, and I couldn't be happier with the way they look and how easy it is to clean them.

Tasmania
02-12-2017, 01:44 AM
If you have got UV clear coat flaking, polish that out but you 'Will' have to coat them with a UV
based product. or you will be just touching them up once every two weeks.

I would go with the Meg's kit as it come with the pads and UV spray all in one!

But if it is not to bad use (wolfgang plastic surface sealant) apply as per the bottle. Easy =)

fightnews
02-12-2017, 05:38 AM
I've used PlastX extensively on headlights. Yes it can be used on your headlights by hand without destroying the factory UV coating on the lenses. Put a few drops on a soft microfiber and rub it it into the surface. It will start out kinda like a wet polish, then get sort of tacky feeling and look like oily smudges on the lenses. Keep rubbing and buff off the smudges-- Just like if you were wiping some grease off a mirror or window. It works great for removing mild surface spotting.

plastX has a "built in" sealer component. Not necessary to seal afterwards, but adding your own sealant wouldn't hurt a thing.

ok can i use my mini da?

so the plastx isn't strong enough to remove the factory coating?

VR8
02-12-2017, 08:33 AM
ok can i use my mini da?

so the plastx isn't strong enough to remove the factory coating?

A dual action with a small pad, say 3" or 4", is a great way to get a clear finish. Much like polishing the paint. PlastX won't hurt the lens, unless maybe you pull out a rotary buffer and turn up to speeds around 3000 rpm!!

Apply a sealant to your headlights just like you would apply a sealant to your paint. Both add protection.

fightnews
02-12-2017, 09:15 AM
A dual action with a small pad, say 3" or 4", is a great way to get a clear finish. Much like polishing the paint. PlastX won't hurt the lens, unless maybe you pull out a rotary buffer and turn up to speeds around 3000 rpm!!

Apply a sealant to your headlights just like you would apply a sealant to your paint. Both add protection.

ok thank you, this is the part im not clear on. how easy or hard is it to damage the protective coating? i actually have some headlight sealant on the way. im planning on polishing it with my griots g3 mini polisher and a 3" orange pad.

if thats not strong enough i have a griots gg6 with a three inch packing plate on it for more power. i also have that mothers powerball available. i read somewhere it good to use that on a drill?

VR8
02-12-2017, 09:30 AM
ok thank you, this is the part im not clear on. how easy or hard is it to damage the protective coating? im planning on polishing it with my griots g3 mini polisher and a 3" orange pad.

I doubt you'll do any damage with your polisher, PlastX and an orange pad. If that doesn't remove the damage your looking to remove, and you proceed to something stronger, and also move to a more aggressive machine, then sure, you will eventually get to a point where you may cause damage to the protective coating on the lens. But the point here is what will it take to make your headlight lens clear like new again, correct? Try the PlastX and the orange pad without worry. If that doesn't solve your problem then it's likely you have more damage to the lens than you originally thought. And it'll be time for something more drastic. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

fightnews
02-12-2017, 09:33 AM
I doubt you'll do any damage with your polisher, PlastX and an orange pad. If that doesn't remove the damage your looking to remove, and you proceed to something stronger, and also move to a more aggressive machine, then sure, you will eventually get to a point where you may cause damage to the protective coating on the lens. But the point here is what will it take to make your headlight lens clear like new again, correct? Try the PlastX and the orange pad without worry. If that doesn't solve your problem then it's likely you have more damage to the lens than you originally thought. And it'll be time for something more drastic. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

ok sounds good, ill let you know how it goes next weekend. thanks a lot

Mike@ShineStruck
02-12-2017, 12:23 PM
It'll be good enough to remove the yellow or white oxidation with correct pad, bit no compound will remove remaining good factory UV. That requires sanding
I've had crazed headlights and. Scholl's S0 with carpro hybrid cool pad wouldn't remove it
.Out came sanding disc