PDA

View Full Version : Strongest Correcting AIO

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SonataLF
02-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Hi guys, I recently got a new '16 Golf Sportwagen in December. The car was sitting on the dealer lot for a bit so it does have some washing swirls, mostly on the hood and roof. It's a metallic silver with a hint of gold/beige in certain lighting so they are pretty hard to see normally, but I have to get rid of them. Lol

I haven't had a chance to go over it fully with the DA. I did try a few quick passes with a Lake Country orange cutting pad and HD Speed but it didn't seem to do anything. I know from my past and current VW's that the paint is pretty hard, not really easy to scratch and difficult to correct. I want to avoid using a multi step process since I barely have any time lately. What do you think is my best option for pads and product in this situation?

I am currently using the Meguiars DA Power system which worked great for correction on my Sonata (soft paint), but I will be picking up a Griots 6' DA next month. Will I be good using my current supplies with the more powerful, real DA? Or is there a stronger AIO and better pad I can get to prepare?

Thanks!!

WRAPT C5Z06
02-10-2017, 10:37 AM
HD SPEED has good cut for an AIO.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

zmcgovern45
02-10-2017, 10:44 AM
CarPro Essence technically qualifies as an AIO I suppose....

By manipulating your pad choice, you can get quite a bit of cut out of this product even though it also works exceptionally well as a fine finishing polish.

This was Essence on a MF Cutting Pad.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/AttentiontoDetailingPeoria/2015%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/before_after_zpsz3xjudns.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/AttentiontoDetailingPeoria/2015%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/20151203-DSC_8631_zpsv0yeyqdu.jpg

briarpatch
02-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Good choice of DA.......see how you do with your current pad/product setup.....then see if you need a more aggressive pad

Eldorado2k
02-10-2017, 10:53 AM
CarPro Essence technically qualifies as an AIO I suppose....

By manipulating your pad choice, you can get quite a bit of cut out of this product even though it also works exceptionally well as a fine finishing polish.

This was Essence on a MF Cutting Pad.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/AttentiontoDetailingPeoria/2015%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/before_after_zpsz3xjudns.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/AttentiontoDetailingPeoria/2015%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/20151203-DSC_8631_zpsv0yeyqdu.jpg

Did it honestly feel like it was 90% pad 10% Essence that got the job done there?

Reason I ask is because I've put Essence up against similar defects with a foam polishing pad and it rarely if ever makes a dent in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruzscarwash
02-10-2017, 11:25 AM
my two main AIO's (for now, AG to blame) are mckees 360 AIO it has great cut easy on, easy off. great working time and has a really good sealant in it that ive had about 4 months of protection out of but then replaced, not because it failed but because well... im an autogeek and I cant resist try new things

my second is essence, but ive only used it with BOSS MF cutting pads for cars that are like the black one pictured above and buff and shine foam pads for a fine polish. its worked great in both but since it fills in defects and cuts its hard to say which one its actually doing. I do use it more often now though, im on my 3rd bottle in 6 weeks

zmcgovern45
02-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Did it honestly feel like it was 90% pad 10% Essence that got the job done there?

Reason I ask is because I've put Essence up against similar defects with a foam polishing pad and it rarely if ever makes a dent in them.

Absolutely... results are always largely pad dependent when it comes to getting the most out of fine and medium polishes. Likewise, you can also vary the amount of product used to increase the amount of abrasives over a given area (refer to Kevin Brown's M205 method), however I do not find this works too well with Essence, however a MF pad will drastically enhance the cutting power of the product.

98% of the time we use Essence as a fine finishing polish to remove marring after compounding.

Cruzscarwash
02-10-2017, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=zmcgovern45;1463460]CarPro Essence technically qualifies as an AIO I suppose....

what pads are you using for that correction? and also which do you use for essence as a fine polish?

zmcgovern45
02-10-2017, 11:34 AM
what pads are you using for that correction? and also which do you use for essence as a fine polish?

As I mentioned above, that was with Essence and a MF Cutting Pad.

For fine polishing I have found that I prefer the Rupes Yellow or White Pads (we use yellow 90% of the time or more).

Desertnate
02-10-2017, 11:48 AM
I've had really good luck with Griots One-Step Sealant. With a Lake Country Flat Pad, I get a decent amount of correction and the gloss is really good too.

Wknd Dtlr
02-10-2017, 12:39 PM
On occasion I have had luck with Megs D151 and Megs MF Cutting pad. However, there is some filling but certainly corrects well for an AIO.

Better yet, since you are ramping up your involvement in detailing how about you shout out to forum members in your area. Most of us are always eager to help out. And, most of us have way too many products and pads acquired during our heavy addiction years. That way, you could do test spots with various products and pads to determine the best combo. This will save you buying 20 different products to "experiment" with!

Good luck and have fun detailing the Golf!

986DTM
02-10-2017, 01:12 PM
I've had great results with Menzerna 3 in 1. Only complaint is that its a little smeary on removal so I always go over the car with some spray detailer afterwards. The cut is really good depending on pad choice and it finishes really nicely as well. On a scale of 1-10 it is about a 6, same as D151 mentioned above. Essence is about a 3 and HD Speed is about a 2-3. Most AIOs are in the 2-4 range in terms of aggressiveness.

FUNX650
02-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream :xyxthumbs:

Bob

The Guz
02-10-2017, 01:20 PM
You have some good things to use at the moment. The limiting factor is that DA power system. It won't give you the correction that a DA will give you. HD Speed is a favorite. I have never used it so I can not attest to how it corrects.

But I've got to give it up to GSKR who recommended Meguiar's Mirror Bright Polishing Wax. I put it up against this heavy oxidation as a test spot and it did a good job.

Used it with a Meguiar's burgundy foam cutting pad on a Rupes LHR15 MKII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRet2PRdBx8

fightnews
02-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Hi guys, I recently got a new '16 Golf Sportwagen in December. The car was sitting on the dealer lot for a bit so it does have some washing swirls, mostly on the hood and roof. It's a metallic silver with a hint of gold/beige in certain lighting so they are pretty hard to see normally, but I have to get rid of them. Lol

I haven't had a chance to go over it fully with the DA. I did try a few quick passes with a Lake Country orange cutting pad and HD Speed but it didn't seem to do anything. I know from my past and current VW's that the paint is pretty hard, not really easy to scratch and difficult to correct. I want to avoid using a multi step process since I barely have any time lately. What do you think is my best option for pads and product in this situation?

I am currently using the Meguiars DA Power system which worked great for correction on my Sonata (soft paint), but I will be picking up a Griots 6' DA next month. Will I be good using my current supplies with the more powerful, real DA? Or is there a stronger AIO and better pad I can get to prepare?

Thanks!!

just use a good finishing compound and miguiars fast finish. its so easy to apply that its basically a one step.