PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Finish Kare Hi Temp Paste Wax?

Sonic Pilot
02-05-2017, 08:42 PM
It does seem to posses an interesting quality in that it is listed as a "High Temp" wax. Here is what my experience with many, many waxes thus far. Particularly in the summer. After thoroughly polishing and prepping my cars surface, I apply the wax, allow it to set up and buff. Looks GREAT....for about 2 to 3 days. Then it seems most of the visual attributes (gloss & shine) diminish substantially. After about 10 days or so, it doesn't even seem that there is any wax left.

I'm wondering if most of the wax is burning or melting off. I do live in Las Vegas. Summer time sunshine is absolutely intense with temps around 105 - 110 degrees.The car is black so I would imagine surface temps might be close to 150 especially on the hood. I do wash it a couple times a month.

So, anyone else have a similar experience? Anyone using Finish Kare Hi Temp wax notice a substantial improvement in durability or lasting shine in a hot climate?

bhonshell42
02-05-2017, 09:20 PM
It does seem to posses an interesting quality in that it is listed as a "High Temp" wax. Here is what my experience with many, many waxes thus far. Particularly in the summer. After thoroughly polishing and prepping my cars surface, I apply the wax, allow it to set up and buff. Looks GREAT....for about 2 to 3 days. Then it seems most of the visual attributes (gloss & shine) diminish substantially. After about 10 days or so, it doesn't even seem that there is any wax left.

I'm wondering if most of the wax is burning or melting off. I do live in Las Vegas. Summer time sunshine is absolutely intense with temps around 105 - 110 degrees.The car is black so I would imagine surface temps might be close to 150 especially on the hood. I do wash it a couple times a month.

So, anyone else have a similar experience? Anyone using Finish Kare Hi Temp wax notice a substantial improvement in durability or lasting shine in a hot climate?
From my reading about this particular wax, the purpose of the wax is to add protection. And as you stated, some gloss is there in the beginning but does ware off quickly.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

AZpolisher15
02-06-2017, 12:38 AM
I generally find that paint sealants ("synthetic waxes") hold up better than carnauba based (natural) waxes in high temps. FK1000p is, in fact, a paint sealant. AG sells a whole bunch of great paint sealants. FK1000p would be great, as would Menzerna Powerlock, Four Star, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Duragloss 111/601, Blackfire Wet Diamond.... the list goes on and on. Sealants typically have a more bright, glassy look, whereas waxes are deeper, wetter looking (in general). If I were you, I'd be looking for a sealant.

Longevity is dependent on many factors and it's really hard to say a particular product is going to last a certain amount of time. But i might venture to guess that a wax in Vegas might last 1-3 months. A sealant might last 4-6 months. Again, that's greatly generalized for the sake of "keeping it simple" in this conversation.

392hemi
02-06-2017, 12:42 AM

I haven't used it but read a lot about it. Users suggest adding a second coat at some point. Also did you try washing the car to see if the gloss comes back?

Also on black I'm willing to bet Temps are well above 160 on the surface.

GSKR
02-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Always boost after a wash and it will keep the car looking good.A typical easy to use spray wax will do.waxes are not supposed to last in long-term. I've used this product many times,but it's no match against 915 collinite.

Cruzscarwash
02-06-2017, 07:57 AM
I use it in the same environment (Mojave desert) and never noticed it degrading as FAS as you are saying I've seen it last well over 3 months with no issues on my personal cars and client cars. I think the longest I've seen it go for was 5 months before the lower panels gave up and seemed bare

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

SabbyNJ
02-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Traditional waxes break down very easily. Like others have said, synthetic sealants and coatings significantly last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

BillyJack
02-06-2017, 09:38 AM
I've tried in on my paint a few times and never really cared for it, as it just doesn't seem to hold "the look". However, it is my hands down favorite on wheels, chrome or painted, as it lasts far longer and resists brake dust buildup batter than anything else I've tried.

Bill

FUNX650
02-06-2017, 09:54 AM
It does seem to posses an interesting quality
in that it is listed as a "High Temp" wax.

I do live in Las Vegas.
Summer time sunshine is absolutely intense
with temps around 105 - 110 degrees.

The car is black so I would imagine
surface temps might be close to 150
especially on the hood.

So, anyone else have a similar experience?
Anyone using Finish Kare Hi Temp wax
notice a substantial improvement in durability
or lasting shine in a hot climate?
From my experiences with FK-1000P:

•An application of FK-1000P Paste Wax
leaves behind a film layer that has,
among other attributes, very good
resistance to intensive heat---a high
"melting point" (M.P.), as it were.

As such:
•Here's 1000P's pertinent M.P.-info,
(taken from its MSDS):

=====================
FINISH KARE PRODUCTS INC.
1000P
=====================
Product Identification
=====================
Product ID: PASTE WAX, 1000P
MSDS Date: 03/01/1993
MSDS Number: BXDMK
=== Responsible Party ===
Company Name:
FINISH KARE PRODUCTS INC
Address:1726 FLORADALE AVE
City: S EL MONTE
State: CA
ZIP: 91733

==================
Physical/Chemical Properties
==================
Boiling Pt: B.P. Text:>318F,>159C
Melt/Freeze Pt: M.P/F.P: 250F, 121C
Vapor Pres:5.3 @ 100F
Vapor Density:4.1
Spec Gravity:0.797 (H*2O=1)
Evaporation Rate & Reference:0.13 (N-BUTYL ACETATE=1)
Solubility in Water:NEGLIGIBLE
Appearance and Odor:HYDROCARBON ODOR.
===========================

Bob

Cruzscarwash
02-06-2017, 12:17 PM
The high melting point is why I chose it here in the desert. I've not had any issues with it but also prep the surface the same as a coating before I apply it

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Whitewater25
02-06-2017, 02:02 PM
I can't offer input on using it with black paint but it has held up really well on the white gel coat on my boat. Applied in August,still beading and looks good too.

Legumes
02-07-2017, 03:30 AM

I have no real input on the FK Hi Temp wax....I just wanted to comment on the black paint temperature on hot days. I have measured 160-165F on black paint in direct sunlight on 90F days. This was on a vehicle that had not been driven. The heat from the engine no doubt pushes that up a bit higher. I wouldn't doubt black cars in Vegas regularly exceed 180F surface temperatures if not even higher.