PDA

View Full Version : What are the pros/cons of "low profile" polishing pads?

Pages : [1] 2

Sonic Pilot
02-04-2017, 11:58 PM
I plan on trying some "low profile" pads but was wondering what the pros vs cons would be. I would be using them on a Boss 15mm DA. The vehicle is a well cared for 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8...black! I consider myself to still be a novice with machine polishing. Your thoughts...

Eldorado2k
02-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Do you have the polisher yet?

Sent from my iPhone

dlc95
02-05-2017, 12:14 AM
I've been experimenting with the low profile Meguiar's thin foam discs.

I really haven't noticed any cons, but the pros are that they are better able to maintain pad rotation. I alsoblike that they take up less room, thus allowing for more pads.

As far as Meguiar's specifically, their maroon cutting pad is EXCELLENT! It has a very porous, aggressive composition, and is relatively stuff, but does a great job removing defects.

Their yellow pad was a longtime favorite going back to 1998. The thin version allows for increased performance. I never realized how similar in consistency the yellow pad was to my normal polishing pad - the blue Buff and Shine.

I have the black pad too, but won't be using it until tomorrow.

I've done all my testing on an old school PC 7424. Future testing will be on the Duetto.

Overall, the thin pads feel precise, and smooth. Increased performance. I see this style of pad becoming standard in the future.

dlc95
02-05-2017, 12:17 AM
I hear great things about the BOSS pads.

Maybe consider the pads and liquids that were designed around the machine? I'm always hearing great feedback on the BOSS system.

Sonic Pilot
02-05-2017, 12:27 AM
I currently have the GG 6" DA and a 21mm from another manufacturer. Will be getting the BOSS 15mm fairly soon.

Eldorado2k
02-05-2017, 12:28 AM
I currently have the GG 6" DA and a 21mm from another manufacturer. Will be getting the BOSS 15mm fairly soon.

What kind of pads do you currently run on the 21mm?

Sent from my iPhone

Sonic Pilot
02-05-2017, 12:40 AM
I get some 5.5 inch pads from a local supplier here in Las Vegas. Gloss it is their name. That's also where I got their EVO 21mm machine.

Eldorado2k
02-05-2017, 01:07 AM
Thicker pads are beefier and more comfortable overall. Thinner pads feel firmer and give you an overall feel like you've got sharper power while polishing. Some what increased vibration with thinner pads, but if you're not using the best thick pads it doesn't really matter.

Nothing wrong with thin pads, it's up to your preference. I'd suggest trying the Boss pads to match the polisher. I've also had great results using the Meguiars burgundy thin foam discs and like that they're a tad smaller in diameter @5" if I need to get into intricate areas on the vehicle.

My favorite pads overall are Lake Country HD Orbital foam pads, they're not thin they're thick, beefy, largest diameter, IMO most comfortable, run cool, and do a great job.

Sent from my iPhone

fightnews
02-05-2017, 05:23 AM
I plan on trying some "low profile" pads but was wondering what the pros vs cons would be. I would be using them on a Boss 15mm DA. The vehicle is a well cared for 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8...black! I consider myself to still be a novice with machine polishing. Your thoughts...

you would be better off just getting the 5" boss pads that go with that unit. i have it to, the boss pads are already low profile they work great i have that unit

fightnews
02-05-2017, 05:28 AM
Thicker pads are beefier and more comfortable overall. Thinner pads feel firmer and give you an overall feel like you've got sharper power while polishing. Some what increased vibration with thinner pads, but if you're not using the best thick pads it doesn't really matter.

Nothing wrong with thin pads, it's up to your preference. I'd suggest trying the Boss pads to match the polisher. I've also had great results using the Meguiars burgundy thin foam discs and like that they're a tad smaller in diameter @5" if I need to get into intricate areas on the vehicle.

My favorite pads overall are Lake Country HD Orbital foam pads, they're not thin they're thick, beefy, largest diameter, IMO most comfortable, run cool, and do a great job.

Sent from my iPhone ya the thin boss pads work best with the unit, one thing that thicker pads help with is stalling, but if the thin pads stall u are supposed to use the innerflex pad which is essentially making a thin pad thick, the thicker the pad on a g15 the less polishing power or cut you have but if you put the innerflex pad on to an already thick pad it wont stall at all

KBsToy
02-05-2017, 06:13 AM
ya the thin boss pads work best with the unit, one thing that thicker pads help with is stalling, but if the thin pads stall u are supposed to use the innerflex pad which is essentially making a thin pad thick, the thicker the pad on a g15 the less polishing power or cut you have but if you put the innerflex pad on to an already thick pad it wont stall at all

?????? Thicker pads less stalling ??????

fightnews
02-05-2017, 08:29 AM
?????? Thicker pads less stalling ??????

ya definitely, do you own a 15mm long throw? if you do draw a white line on the backing plate and try it. you don't even have to do that just look at the innerflex pad griots sells with its long throws. all it does is make the pad thicker.

MikeC78
02-05-2017, 11:34 AM
I use the LC thinpro and I produce less heat and less stalling. I don't see any cons to them at all. Probably never go back to a thicker pad, no use for them.

Crispy
02-05-2017, 02:53 PM
I use the LC thinpro and I produce less heat and less stalling. I don't see any cons to them at all. Probably never go back to a thicker pad, no use for them.

My exact thoughts.

UTdetailing
02-05-2017, 03:37 PM
I can't offer any experience as my first "low pro's" are still on their way. I thought a lot about them before I purchased, and the only negative I could foresee is having to re-learn the pressure you apply as you have less "cushion". I suspect the reason for less stalling that most see has less to do with weight of the pad and held product, and more to do with not feeling like that have to apply as much pressure.

Time will tell when I get my new pads :)