PDA

View Full Version : Question about ONR

Pages : [1] 2 3

neogenesis
02-04-2017, 02:09 PM
I've recently been turned on to No Rinse/waterless car washes, especially for use in winter. I hear everyone rave about ONR both here and other places as well. I'm a little confused about the dilution though. According to the directions, for a rinseless car was, it suggests 1oz in 2 gallons of water. But for use as a quick detailer, it recommends 8oz on 1 gallon. That just seems counterintuitive to me. Wouldn't you want a higher concentration of lubrication when using it to wash the car vs using it as a quick detailer to remove light dust? Thoughts?

WillSports3
02-04-2017, 02:12 PM
No because when you wash rinselessly, you're using a lot of liquid on the surface so you're providing a lot of lubrication from all the extra water versus a quick detailer, you're using a lot less liquid. The amount of liquid your towel has on it is why there are different dilution ratios. You use too high dilution for rinseless, you get streaky because of all the liquids that's coming on the surface. But a quick detailer, you spray, wipe, and then buff so it's not as much of an issue.

Rsurfer
02-04-2017, 02:16 PM
When doing a rinse less wash, you are using 2 gallons of wetting solution to lubricate the surface. When doing a qd, you are using anywhere from 8-16oz depending how dirty the surface. You need more lubrication when QDing than when rinse less washing, therefore the increase in product dilution.

BrutalNoodle
02-04-2017, 02:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7JoC8ANog

As you can see from 3:20 on, the towel is very much loaded with liquid vs light layer of mist from a sprayer - which would required more product for lubricity.

Setec Astronomy
02-04-2017, 02:23 PM
But ONR leaves all kinds of residue at 1:256, wouldn't it leave 16 times as much residue at 1:16? Maybe I have my math backwards.

WillSports3
02-04-2017, 02:31 PM
It's also different function. You're drying ONR at rinseless but at QD, you're buffing it off anyway. ONR once you dry, I don't find it streaks at all.

Cruzscarwash
02-04-2017, 02:42 PM
But ONR leaves all kinds of residue at 1:256, wouldn't it leave 16 times as much residue at 1:16? Maybe I have my math backwards.
That's also dependant on environment condition, when I use it outside it acts different then a temp controlled garage

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Setec Astronomy
02-04-2017, 02:47 PM
That's also dependant on environment condition, when I use it outside it acts different then a temp controlled garage

So...are you telling the OP that in answer to his question on what ratio to mix ONR for QD use, it would vary as to whether he was using it inside or outside?

Does he need 3 different dilutions? One for inside the temperature-controlled garage, and two for outside, one for when outside is hotter than the garage, and one for when outside is colder than the garage?

RippyD
02-04-2017, 02:57 PM
When I started using ONR I worried about it and went to higher concentration. No harm - just using more product than necessary. It works well at recommended dilutions. It's my go-to for clay lube as well. For a dirtier car I like using it with the Big Red Sponge (BRS) - saves my MF towels.

neogenesis
02-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. It makes sense on water acting as a lubricant. Given that logic, would not then carry that I could purchase my favorite QD, cut it 1:16 with water and make it into a no rinse wash??

RippyD
02-04-2017, 03:00 PM
^^^ I would not.

Cruzscarwash
02-04-2017, 03:06 PM
So...are you telling the OP that in answer to his question on what ratio to mix ONR for QD use, it would vary as to whether he was using it inside or outside?

Does he need 3 different dilutions? One for inside the temperature-controlled garage, and two for outside, one for when outside is hotter than the garage, and one for when outside is colder than the garage?
I'm simply stating bases of your comment that the environment does play a part as it does with almost all products, the ratios I use my products are 90% of the time different then what is on the bottle due to my conditions and where I use them. Since the majority of my work is done outside and normally in direct sunlight light in over 100° weather my products are mixed to work properly in such conditions. I do keep one or two spare bottles Incase things change like temperature or I end up inside.

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

neogenesis
02-04-2017, 03:11 PM
^^^ I would not.

Rationale?

BrutalNoodle
02-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. It makes sense on water acting as a lubricant. Given that logic, would not then carry that I could purchase my favorite QD, cut it 1:16 with water and make it into a no rinse wash??

What's your favorite QD?

I've played around with that idea a while back. D155 Last Touch and CG's Extreme Slick Synthetic Detailer surprisingly turned out well.

It's nice to know that you could get away with it in a pinch, but with attractive price point and flexibility of ONR and others, there's really no solid reason to look pass them.

Cruzscarwash
02-04-2017, 03:47 PM
D155 is my most used but I also use ech2o and I bought cure to mix in now as well