PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Shmitt vs. Ultimitt (wheel)

wolfpacker92
11-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Alright let me start out saying that I was surprised by what I found out after using both of these. The very first order I made at AG several months ago had a black Wheel Shmitt in my basket. I couldn't wait to get it. When I did I loved it. I have small hands and it fit me perfectly. I used it on wheels and wheel wells. Well after a few months it started wearing out right about where my index and middle finger were. Well of course I was placing another order (I seem to do that a lot ... thanks Meghan and AG :D) a few months later and decided to order another one.

Well after about 2 months of use the same thing started happening with that one. Well again I was placing another order and getting ready to order my third one when I decided to give the Lake Country Ultimitt a try. It looked much sturdier in the pics so I thought I'd try that.

When it arrived I was glad to see that it was much heavier than the Shmitt so it would definately last longer. Well I started using it and said how great it was in my Tahoe Show and Shine. It worked great. However, the love affair came to a quick end. The more I used it the less I was liking it. It was heavier and that was making it become cumbersome. Like I said my hands fit the Shmitt perfectly but the more I used the Ultimitt I had to make a very concerted effort just to keep it on when cleaning a wheel. I felt as though I was fighting it more than working with it.

Well after about 2 weeks it too started to wear out at the top edge and it actually completely seperated leaving a big gaping hole. Now mind you I only used the Ultimitt on wheels, and never on the wheel wells. I actually saved my old Shmitts for that (I just couldn't seem to throw them out). The Shmitts had actually taken more abuse because I had caught them on some of those plastic push pin like things in the wheel wells, but they had never completely ripped apart.

Well needless to say I threw away the Ultimitt and got me two more Wheel Shmitts so I have 4 now (yeah I still have the very first one I bought and it still works great on the wheel wells even though it has seen it's fair share of use). I was wowed with the Ultimitt on my first use but that faded quickly, too quickly for me. I guess I shouldn't have given up on the Shmitt as it is still the reigning Champion for me. I took my new one out yesterday and man it fits like a glove and two months worth of use vs. two weeks worth of use for less money...yeah I'll just stick to the Wheel Shmitt.

Tonya
11-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Good review Wolfpacker thanks for sharing! So before long you will have one for each wheels, right? :D

wolfpacker92
11-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Good review Wolfpacker thanks for sharing! So before long you will have one for each wheels, right? :D

You're right, I hadn't thought about that! I could use the two new ones with one on each hand and have a little Karate Kid action, you know "Wheel Cleaner on...Wheel Cleaner off".:D

supercharged
11-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks for review, I won't be getting wheel Ulti-mitt. I still have my black Shmitt laying around, I just seem not to use it often. I found that it works well with soap and water, as I don't wanna use any wheel cleaner on my hands, not even P21S gel. I seem to use short handle green brush, AG carries, more often on wheels.

wolfpacker92
12-18-2007, 04:07 PM
OK I thought an update was in order for this thread. I was contacted by Aaron at The Edge about trying out a prototype of the Wheel Shmitt that had a reinforced pad on the inside of it so you wouldn't have to worry about your fingers wearing out a spot and coming through. I got it and it looks like the hook and loop backing from a buffing pad was put inside and believe it or not feels pretty darn good. Well I got a chance to use it and wanted to express my thoughts on it here.

In a word AWESOME! The first time I used it it was a little stiff but hey if you have to sacrifice a little to get a great product so be it. However the second time I used it man the thing just felt like a glove with absolutely no stiffness and the reinforcement on the inside is exactly what I needed to keep me from poking my fingers through. I have 4 new shmitts including the prototype I got and of the others only one has been used since I got the prototype and that was really by mistake and it only got to do one wheel. I picked it up by mistake and started using it and realized immediately that it was one of the other ones without the reinforcement. Well I finished that wheel and went back and got the prototype! I think the others are feeling somewhat neglected :D!

I was amazed at how pliable it got after the first use and the Shmitt just seems to get better with every use now. I really look forward to when these are available at AG. Meghan you need to put the full court press on Aaron to get these to AG because I'll be first in line! Well needless to say the Wheel Shmitt is the current and still reigning CHAMP of wheel mitts! And I really love to see when a company sees a concern or issue and they go to the ol' drawing board to make it better! This upgrade was a definite WINNER!

Jimmie
12-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the review Wolfpacker. I'll keep checking for AG to get them. If you've never tried this here are a couple of other ways to use your extra wheel ShMitts. Wash a really dirty car or clean very dirty leather (my leather one is only used for leather). I'm going to use your idea to use my old ShMitt for wheel wells.

wolfpacker92
12-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the review Wolfpacker. I'll keep checking for AG to get them. If you've never tried this here are a couple of other ways to use your extra wheel ShMitts. Wash a really dirty car or clean very dirty leather (my leather one is only used for leather). I'm going to use your idea to use my old ShMitt for wheel wells.

That is a great idea for leather! I bet it gives that extra UMPH that you need. Thanks for the tips Jimmie!

MadOzodi
01-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Uh oh, does this mean the Black Wheel ShMITT I just ordered is NOT the new one with the reinforced inner liner?

The Edge
01-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Uh oh, does this mean the Black Wheel ShMITT I just ordered is NOT the new one with the reinforced inner liner?

None have a reinforced liner, that was a prototoype made for someone who actually had a problem and it was to see if this would solve his issue. We have played around with placing a fabric disc in the center but it raises the costs of the product more than $1.00 and most people don't report any problems with them but do report that they don't want to pay more for it. We may end up making another verison with a liner if we get enough requests.

MadOzodi
01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Liner or not, I'm still very much looking forward to using my new Black wheel ShMITT and yellow/white ShMITT. I can see how the UltiMit can get too heavy to use for wheel washing, as I have one. Plus, I'm getting really frustrated with the bushes I'm using on my wheels and tires (not my E-Z Detail brush though).