PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen always hazy/dirty

sshazam
02-03-2017, 08:48 PM
No matter how often I clean my windscreen it develops a kind of fog or dirty haze inside after 2 - 3 days of cleaning it.
I say dirty because it's not a basic fog that goes away it sometimes has a brownish tinge to it.

I'm unsure if it's a chemical of the dash or my dash mat (washing it today to double check).

I live in Australia and it's parked outside so it's always in a hot environment.

Yesterday I blasted the heater onto the windscreen and I could see the fog evaporate off the windshield (was cool to see).

AZpolisher15
02-03-2017, 11:39 PM
Not really a direct answer to your question, but this is an awesome glass cleaner for instances like you mention.
BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Glass Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-glass-cleaner.html)

And a great how-to by Mike P.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/104526-how-remove-smokers-film-off-inside-windshield-review-blackfire-glass-cleaner.html

Tasmania
02-04-2017, 01:45 AM
unless you want to spend $100 this product is unavailable in Australia.

Mate it is all the vapors coming off the dash mat i think, your car interior plastic or Air con gas from the A/C

im from Australia so i know the heat we are having at the moment, head on over to Detail Paradise a oz forum
and ask some local bloke also. =)

GSKR
02-04-2017, 07:22 AM
No matter how often I clean my windscreen it develops a kind of fog or dirty haze inside after 2 - 3 days of cleaning it.
I say dirty because it's not a basic fog that goes away it sometimes has a brownish tinge to it.

I'm unsure if it's a chemical of the dash or my dash mat (washing it today to double check).

I live in Australia and it's parked outside so it's always in a hot environment.

Yesterday I blasted the heater onto the windscreen and I could see the fog evaporate off the windshield (was cool to see).
It's caused mainly by out gassing from the dash.

LEDetailing
02-04-2017, 08:46 AM

Our one year old Explorer at work off gasses so much on the inside of the windshield. Black dash and car just exacerbates the issue. In 3 weeks the windshield looks dirtier/filmier than my personally owned 10 year old car does in 3 months.

Don M
02-04-2017, 09:14 AM
I got excellent results from using a 2-step process with Meguiars Ult Compound and Stoner's Invisible Glass. First I used UC on a damp cloth and polished the glass with it. Then taking a dry cloth, I buffed off the compound. Secondly I lightly sprayed the window with IG and buffed it off with a separate clean cloth.

The results were astounding, as a smoker (I know, I know) I often have difficult to clean interior glass, but this method got them crystal clear with minimal effort.

Give it a try.

LEDetailing
02-04-2017, 01:13 PM
I got excellent results from using a 2-step process with Meguiars Ult Compound and Stoner's Invisible Glass. First I used UC on a damp cloth and polished the glass with it. Then taking a dry cloth, I buffed off the compound. Secondly I lightly sprayed the window with IG and buffed it off with a separate clean cloth.

The results were astounding, as a smoker (I know, I know) I often have diufficult to clean interior glass, but this method got them crystal clear with minimal effort.

Give it a try.

A true two step window cleaning. Dedicated autogeek.

Out of curiosity, I wonder if a glass coating such as Mckees or Carpro's windshield coatings would help your interior glass situation? If it works so well in the elements, I'm guessing a little cigarette smoke wouldn't phase it.

sshazam
02-10-2017, 09:10 PM

The cars just under 5 years old now wouldn't all the gas have escaped by now ?
Would cleaning the dash with an AIO cleaner help ?

It's strange as it's fine for a few days then bam windshield dirty.

Our one year old Explorer at work off gasses so much on the inside of the windshield. Black dash and car just exacerbates the issue. In 3 weeks the windshield looks dirtier/filmier than my personally owned 10 year old car does in 3 months.

The cars now coming up to 5 years though. I would have thought it would have all out gassed by now.

How can I tell if it's gas from the interior or gas from the AC ?

PaulMys
02-10-2017, 09:23 PM

The cars now coming up to 5 years though. I would have thought it would have all out gassed by now.

My truck is also just under 5 years old, and it's still happening to me. :/

MrOneEyedBoh
02-10-2017, 11:00 PM
I get the same thing and my truck is 11 years old. Granted low mileage but still I get it. It's not too bad just I can see it and swipe it with a finger, about 1-2 weeks after cleaning it. I attributed it to the dirty air we breathe...

Tasmania
02-11-2017, 01:30 AM
The car is always going to off gas, no matter how old it is! The UV rays are always braking down the plastic, interior or exterior

GSKR
02-11-2017, 08:57 AM

The worst is corvettes.They out gas so much the interior parts turn white.

FUNX650
02-11-2017, 10:15 AM
The car is always going to off gas,
no matter how old it is!

The UV rays are always braking down
the plastic, interior or exterior
^^^Truth^^^

And to think...we're breathing-in, (and/or
otherwise being "touched" in some manner),
by the various gases that are off-gassing...
with DEHP being one that's: Oh! So Toxic.

#dontcha just love that so-called new car smell!

Bob

Eldorado2k
02-12-2017, 12:17 AM
In some cases this happens if there's moisture somewhere inside the vehicle [i.e. damp carpets]
Make sure you don't have any unknown leaks, and make sure your carpets are all dry.

Sent from my iPhone

Tasmania
02-12-2017, 01:31 AM
Yep also check the pollen filter, it should be behind the glove box, just slide out the tray type thing
and check. You might need to change it or give it a good vac if it's got crap inside it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ =)