PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Optimum Big Red Sponge?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

KirkH
02-03-2017, 10:53 AM
I saw the Optimum Big Red Sponge at the Mobile Tech expo in Orlando recently. Has anyone tried one of these? It looks like a foam rubber Jenga game. What is the advantages/disadvantages of using foam rubber? Can foam rubber cause marring?

RaskyR1
02-03-2017, 12:00 PM
I bought 2, tried it, didn't like it, and sold them to a forum member. I prefer MF towels for my ONR washes. 8 clean sides per towel and they can easily get into areas the BRS can't.

The Guz
02-03-2017, 12:00 PM
Use it all the time with ONR. Works great. No marring or scratching in the 7 months I have been using this combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirkH
02-03-2017, 12:12 PM
What is the advantages/disadvantages of using foam rubber?

Nice proofreading on my part- yikes!

parshooter
02-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Is this the big square one with all the little square cut-outs? If so, I have one. Used it once, as I do rinseless/waterless washes 98% of the time. Worked well enough.

Crispy
02-03-2017, 12:31 PM
There is a Blue Version available from AG as well (Lake Country Foam Wash Sponge LC-99-BIGBLUE).

Mine is Blue and I have been using for last 2 years or so on my DD which gets at least 2 ONR washes a week.

No marring that I can tell from the sponge.

I do car in 5 sections and both sides of the sponge on each section.

Only complaint I have is it tends to tear in the middle, if you wring it out too hard.

Tempest45
02-03-2017, 01:14 PM
I was very skeptical of the BRS when I first saw it but am a full convert now. Only need a single bucket, and reduces the amount of towels that need washing. 4 gallons of ONRWW will wash many cars if you use a lid on your bucket.

joshs2000ss
02-03-2017, 01:41 PM
I've used it 2 times on our black Yukon. So far so good. Tougher to get in tight spots like behind the door handles, but it works great otherwise. Getting the right amount of water wrung out of it is still a learning process.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Been rinseless washing pretty much exclusively for 3 years now. No issue. I keep a small microfiber sponge for those little hard to reach areas. First sponge lasted me over 2 years. I teach rinseless wash method to my clients after correcting and/or coating their vehicles because of how great the method is.

jxr
02-03-2017, 06:05 PM
So can you reuse the RW using the BRS with a bucket and grid guard?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Real Riders
02-03-2017, 08:19 PM
The Big Red Sponge works great on flat panels but doesn't work very well for tight spaces. When washing the tight areas of the car the Optimum Blue Waffle Sponge works great since it is much softer. A microfiber towel also works good

KirkH
02-03-2017, 08:38 PM
I guess I will buy one, because, you know, I'm a junkie.

Optimum Big Red Wash Sponge (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-big-red-wash-sponge.html)

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-03-2017, 10:37 PM
So can you reuse the RW using the BRS with a bucket and grid guard?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sure can. I mix 4 gallons at a time and use till i get to the grit guard. Get a gamma lid for your bucket.

KirkH
02-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Do you have a rinse bucket for the BRWS?

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-03-2017, 10:48 PM
Do you have a rinse bucket for the BRWS?

No need at all. If you feel that you do (no need however); ensure that it is the same rinseless dilution. I have 2 buckets. One is for rinseless wash and the other is for my wheel brushes.