PDA

View Full Version : Mike Phillip's comment on coatings lasting more than a year

TJinFL
02-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Recently I read a thread where the longevity of coatings was being discussed. In that thread Mike Phillips made the comment that because after 1 year coatings become so contaminated and marred that to bring back showroom shine a detailing needed to be done therefore it was counter productive to go after coatings which promote many years of protection. Even suggesting that the yearly detailing routine which many are using is best and just use your favorite wax or sealant.

Does anyone remember that thread? I lost it and want to read it again. It seems it was around June of 2016.

fightnews
02-02-2017, 05:26 PM
no but that makes sense if the coating is damaged it will look like crap

LSNAutoDetailing
02-02-2017, 05:27 PM
I recall Mike talking about longevity, however, here is the thing. A nano-ceramic coating is extremely durable and will not only withstand the harsh environment, but will protect the paint as it's doing so. It is the "sacrificial barrier" you might say between the elements and your clear-coat. All the while the coatings make maintenance much more easy, as washes, more over drying will become less intense on the paint because the water will wisk and roll off the vehicle, especially if blow drying with a leaf blower.

Like I tell my customers, there is no specific or scientific measurement of how long a coating will last. Parts of the car are exposed to more abuse than others... For those in the south-west, sun will beat on the horizontal panels. For those of us in states that get snow, the sides of the vehicle will get pummeled with snow, sand, slush and whatever else is on the road.

Protection is better than no protection, but IMO, a coating is the way to go.

Nor Cal ZL1
02-02-2017, 06:23 PM
All my coated cars are over a year in and going strong. Washed carefully, washed often, with coating specific products and maintained with reload, and now ech2o. Only 1 so far has been touched up with car pro essence+. For the outside cars Blackfire has held up the best. Inside car is going to be a long time before it needs to be redone.

Mike Phillips
02-02-2017, 06:34 PM
In that thread Mike Phillips made the comment that because after 1 year coatings become so contaminated and marred that to bring back showroom shine a detailing needed to be done therefore it was counter productive to go after coatings which promote many years of protection.

Careful about quoting me without the actual quote.

I doubt I used the word

become

What you wrote its a very definitive statement. I don't write like that as I know there are a lot of variable.

What I probably wrote was a coated car can become contaminated and marred that in order to restore the show room shine some form of polishing would be needed.

As a veteran of the Zaino vs NXT Wax Wars I'm very carefully how I write and I pick and choose EACH word I use on any public venue very carefully.

:)

Mike Phillips
02-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Washed carefully, washed often, with coating specific products and maintained with reload, and now ech2o.

And that's the KEY.

It's about keeping the coating clean and doing it in a way that doesn't inflict swirls, scratches or marring into the coating or under it into the paint.

I posted about this topic earlier today and the jist of what I wrote was most people don't know how to wash a car carefully or correctly and I'd even say most people don't wash their car often enough carefully and correctly and this is when road film "could" build up on anything including coatings.

It all comes down to,

1: How the car is used and where it's parked 24 x 7 - a daily driver always parked outside is different than a garage kept car.

2: How the car is washed and how often the car is washed.

Please no one get me wrong, I coated the car of the lady that cuts my hair probably 4-5 years ago and told her to ONLY take it to a touch less wash and last time I saw it - it was still swirl free and looked fabulous.

The only way to tell if it had road film would be to machine polish a horizontal surface with a white pad and a white polish and see what color the pad turns.

Been there and done that it educated me.

TJinFL
02-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Hmm..... Sorry I guess I should choose my words more carefully. Apparently I read Mike's comment out of context with what he actually was saying.

Which makes Mckees 37 Paint Coating an option for me.

Ah everything is so complicated these days.

Setec Astronomy
02-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Ah everything is so complicated these days.

It's really not. I know there's a lot of products...wax, sealant, coating..SiC, SiO, hybrid. Heck, even washing, you can't just wash--is it traditional, rinseless, waterless? 2-bucket, foam gun, foam cannon...mitt, microfiber towel, pile of towels.

But really, it's hard to pick a bad product today, however you go, you'll be ok,

TJinFL
02-03-2017, 08:44 AM
In case anyone is interested the thread which caused my question is at http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/107543-new-coatings.html.

The comment I was refering to is in entry #11:

"My guess is the Gloss Coat would potentially last longer but there's no real practical way of knowing.

I do know that Gloss Coat imparts a rubbery feel and McKee's 37 imparts a slick feel.

As for longevity, I think this feature is blown out of all practicality. One year for any product is long enough for a daily driver. After one year you want to do "something" to the paint to remove any road film that builds up. So in my opinion, having a coating that lasts a year is optimum and all you want and need. Then after a year, re-polish which means restore that brand new car look and then re-coat.

My two cents for what it's worth..."

Sorry for my ineptness at editing!!

Mike Phillips
02-03-2017, 08:58 AM
In case anyone is interested the thread which caused my question is at http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/107543-new-coatings.html.

The comment I was referring to is in entry #11:

"My guess is the Gloss Coat would potentially last longer but there's no real practical way of knowing.

I do know that Gloss Coat imparts a rubbery feel and McKee's 37 imparts a slick feel.

As for longevity, I think this feature is blown out of all practicality. One year for any product is long enough for a daily driver. After one year you want to do "something" to the paint to remove any road film that builds up. So in my opinion, having a coating that lasts a year is optimum and all you want and need. Then after a year, re-polish which means restore that brand new car look and then re-coat.

My two cents for what it's worth..."

Yep I wrote that. And I chose my words very carefully. It was also written a few days ago not in 2016 BUT I know I have similar comments in 2016.

And also just to point out, what I wrote is nothing like this...

In that thread Mike Phillips made the comment that because after 1 year coatings become so contaminated and marred that to bring back showroom shine a detailing needed to be done therefore it was counter productive to go after coatings which promote many years of protection.

I'm a Word Guy. I have to be to think-out and write the volume of original work that I do on a weekly basis. And again, as a veteran of the Zaino vs NXT Wax Wars, I learned from that experience that there's always a handful of people looking for a single word that they can use to try to attack me and what I've written.

:laughing:

Sorry for my ineptness at editing!!

If you look at your post above mine you can see that I've edited your post and inserted the proper [quote] tags to format what you've written to read easier and accurately.

:cheers:

fightnews
02-03-2017, 06:10 PM
And that's the KEY.

It's about keeping the coating clean and doing it in a way that doesn't inflict swirls, scratches or marring into the coating or under it into the paint.

I posted about this topic earlier today and the jist of what I wrote was most people don't know how to wash a car carefully or correctly and I'd even say most people don't wash their car often enough carefully and correctly and this is when road film "could" build up on anything including coatings.

It all comes down to,

1: How the car is used and where it's parked 24 x 7 - a daily driver always parked outside is different than a garage kept car.

2: How the car is washed and how often the car is washed.

Please no one get me wrong, I coated the car of the lady that cuts my hair probably 4-5 years ago and told her to ONLY take it to a touch less wash and last time I saw it - it was still swirl free and looked fabulous.

The only way to tell if it had road film would be to machine polish a horizontal surface with a white pad and a white polish and see what color the pad turns.

Been there and done that it educated me.

thats interesting, ive heard that touchless car washes can strip lsp's. is that not the case with coatings? i just got your book with my flex, im looking forward to reading it. already been skimming it and it def looks like the definitive guide for sure. im going to watch the dvd tomorrow i got that too. thanks mike