PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped/injured detailing

JoeDart36
02-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Hey everyone. Im new here but not new to my love of a clean car. 4 years ago i had a major lower back surgery and now have 14 screws, 2 rods and 2 plates in my lower back. As you can imagine it affects everything i do. Usually a detailing of a car/truck takes me a while and i pay dearly for it in the way of pain for the next few days.

I was just wondering if anyone else has anything similar or maybe just some tips for a 36 yr old with back problems. Thanks,
Joe in Indiana.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

oldmodman
02-02-2017, 04:22 AM
After my back surgery it just got more and more difficult to stoop over to work on wheels and the sides of cars.
So I bought a four post lift. Now I raise and lower the vehicle as required so that whatever I am working on is directly in front of me while standing straight.
Plus it is really easy to do oil changes, brakes, exhaust work, and suspension work. The only thing that is hard to do with a four post lift are engine pulls and differential/axle replacements.

PaulMys
02-02-2017, 07:42 PM
I feel your pain, Joe.

I am currently out of work with a back injury. It is winter in NY at this moment, so I couldn't wash my truck now anyway.

But I am a little scared as to how much a big complete wash, clay, polish & wax will take in my present condition come the spring. :/

Mantilgh
02-02-2017, 08:10 PM
I don't have personal experience with it, but my friend/helper had something similar done maybe 10 years ago.

They put him in kind of PT program for pain management last year and he said it helped him a lot. I think he did a lot of core strength building and stretching. He said they worked him out hard but he never felt better since his surgery.

He's my helper in my main business which is selling large quantities of small square bales of hay. When we work we touch several hundred bales a person. It often surprises me how well he perseveres.

Setec Astronomy
02-02-2017, 08:26 PM
So I bought a four post lift. Now I raise and lower the vehicle as required so that whatever I am working on is directly in front of me while standing straight.
Plus it is really easy to do oil changes, brakes, exhaust work, and suspension work.

I would love to do that...my only problem is if I got the lower panels directly in front of me, the roof of the car would be in my bedroom. Of course that would make it really easy to get into the car in the morning.

Lt1xL82
02-02-2017, 08:33 PM
I also use a 4-post lift...HUGE help being able to raise car to height desired. I also use a mechanics seat on large wheel casters to lessen the time spent on my feet. Also a "Swifter" with microfiber towels to lesson leaning/stretching to reach center of windshield/roof/rear window.

briarpatch
02-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Not specifically back pain, but pain in general. I get to be reminded about my bout with Lyme's disease every time I overdo it....I have arthritis in my knees, hips and ankles, and will have it forever. It does not stop me, and I will do whatever I can from letting it.

DaveT435
02-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Hey everyone. Im new here but not new to my love of a clean car. 4 years ago i had a major lower back surgery and now have 14 screws, 2 rods and 2 plates in my lower back. As you can imagine it affects everything i do. Usually a detailing of a car/truck takes me a while and i pay dearly for it in the way of pain for the next few days.

I was just wondering if anyone else has anything similar or maybe just some tips for a 36 yr old with back problems. Thanks,
Joe in Indiana.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Three lumbar surgeries, three cervical surgeries. I've spent quite a bit of money buying different products and equipment to find what is easiest on my body. A full paint correction and coating will take me anywhere from two to four days depending on how many days in a row I can keep going.
I've got a pain pump with Dilaudid in it. I can have the pump give me a little extra medication every four hours or so. I have Norco's also for break through pain, soma, Xanax, and as the relief from the pump starts wearing down my pain management Doctor gives me a few Percocet to allow me to detail. Bottom line, find a good pain management Doctor who will work with you to help you be active, detail a car, once in a while. A couple things. My doctor works with me because he knows I don't abuse the meds. after 12 or 13 years I have pain management down to a science.

DogRescuer
02-02-2017, 10:29 PM
I'm disabled and can handle 1 maybe 2 full details a week, I'm sloooow but good, as are a lot of guys.

JoeDart36
02-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Three lumbar surgeries, three cervical surgeries. I've spent quite a bit of money buying different products and equipment to find what is easiest on my body. A full paint correction and coating will take me anywhere from two to four days depending on how many days in a row I can keep going.
I've got a pain pump with Dilaudid in it. I can have the pump give me a little extra medication every four hours or so. I have Norco's also for break through pain, soma, Xanax, and as the relief from the pump starts wearing down my pain management Doctor gives me a few Percocet to allow me to detail. Bottom line, find a good pain management Doctor who will work with you to help you be active, detail a car, once in a while. A couple things. My doctor works with me because he knows I don't abuse the meds. after 12 or 13 years I have pain management down to a science.
Ive been with the same Dr for 5-6 years. I get tested every year to make sure the meds are in my system, which they always are bc i couldnt move without them. I go back the 13th and may ask about getting back on my butrans patch or something like that to keep meds in me all the time. Im still an amateur at detailing but i absolutely LOVE doing it. During the warm seasons here in northern indiana i keep the wife and i's cars clean as much as possible. Ive recently got into scratch removal and machine polishing. Detailing cars gives me a sense of accomplishment. Taking something filthy and making it shine like new is almost a high in its self. Thanks for the replies everyone. Glad to know im not out here alone fighting the pain war.

RedXray
02-03-2017, 07:41 PM
60 year old transfemoral (above knee) amputee just like Mike, ambulating on a prosthetic limb. Can't squat down so we have to bend at the waist to work on the lower half of a vehicle. This is murder on the back especially with a buffers side to side motion. It's easier sitting on the floor and just reaching high above the head instead of bending, great for the biceps though. If I had to swing a heavy buffer everyday I'd be in a world of pain and I consider myself a pretty tough old codger. Did a 13 hr correction today kinda tuckered... still have to apply wax then clean my pads lol.

DaveT435
02-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Ive been with the same Dr for 5-6 years. I get tested every year to make sure the meds are in my system, which they always are bc i couldnt move without them. I go back the 13th and may ask about getting back on my butrans patch or something like that to keep meds in me all the time. Im still an amateur at detailing but i absolutely LOVE doing it. During the warm seasons here in northern indiana i keep the wife and i's cars clean as much as possible. Ive recently got into scratch removal and machine polishing. Detailing cars gives me a sense of accomplishment. Taking something filthy and making it shine like new is almost a high in its self. Thanks for the replies everyone. Glad to know im not out here alone fighting the pain war.

That's why I do it too. A lot of people don't get that. You should check into a pump. It uses a fraction of the medication and is very effective. I only get about 1.35 mg of Dilaudid a day and that's my main relief. If your pain is going to get better they won't put one in, but if this is going to be a life long which it kind of sounds like it is the pump is the way to go. A lot easier on your stomach, kindneys, and liver