PDA

View Full Version : Streaky Spray Wax help!

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Honcho
02-01-2017, 06:19 AM
I use D156 or Aquawax after I wash my cars. (Not as a drying aid. I use a 12amp leaf blower to dry the car.) I spray the wax on the car and proceed to wipe it with a clean, dry MF towel. I get "ghosting" or streaks after wiping. What am I doing wrong. Do I need to buff with another MF towel? Use less spray? More spray? Drink more beer? Lose weight? Help me!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Dereksdtail
02-01-2017, 06:38 AM
I use one spritz per panel, wipe with one side and flip towel for final buff, both 156 and aquawax a little goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSKR
02-01-2017, 06:48 AM
I use D156 or Aquawax after I wash my cars. (Not as a drying aid. I use a 12amp leaf blower to dry the car.) I spray the wax on the car and proceed to wipe it with a clean, dry MF towel. I get "ghosting" or streaks after wiping. What am I doing wrong. Do I need to buff with another MF towel? Use less spray? More spray? Drink more beer? Lose weight? Help
Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)
Many variables and maybe just the nature of the product.sorry wasn't much help.However I remember using aqua wax when it first came to the market and it streaked.rupes spray sealant is awesome stuff,little pricey but great product.
I

Souldetailer
02-01-2017, 09:06 AM
I use D156 or Aquawax after I wash my cars. (Not as a drying aid. I use a 12amp leaf blower to dry the car.) I spray the wax on the car and proceed to wipe it with a clean, dry MF towel. I get "ghosting" or streaks after wiping. What am I doing wrong. Do I need to buff with another MF towel? Use less spray? More spray? Drink more beer? Lose weight? Help me

As part of my routine, I always apply to the microfiber towel, wipe on and the buff of w/a second fluffy mft. You use less product this way. As I make it around my ride, the application towel gets more and more saturated. Near the end, I basically can just wipe the application towel over the paint, little if any spray wax is needed.

Peace,

Darrin

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2017, 09:13 AM
I use D156 or Aquawax after I wash my cars. (Not as a drying aid. I use a 12amp leaf blower to dry the car.) I spray the wax on the car and proceed to wipe it with a clean, dry MF towel. I get "ghosting" or streaks after wiping. What am I doing wrong. Do I need to buff with another MF towel? Use less spray? More spray? Drink more beer? Lose weight? Help me!

Was that multiple choice? I pick "lose weight"

As part of my routine, I always apply to the microfiber towel, wipe on and the buff of w/a second fluffy mft. You use less product this way. As I make it around my ride, the application towel gets more and more saturated. Near the end, I basically can just wipe the application towel over the paint, little if any spray wax is needed.

This. I find the "flip the towel for the final wipe" only works for the first panel or two, then it's better (if less convenient) to use a second towel for drying. Hope this helps.

Desertnate
02-01-2017, 09:17 AM
What were the weather conditions at the time?

I've used Meguiars UQW which is a close relative to D156 and the only time I've had streaks were due to applying too much product, or trying to apply it in very cool and humid conditions. Even when streaks appeared a VERY light spritz of additional product on the area along with a light re-buff of the area.

KirkH
02-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Some quick waxes streak more than others. Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax does not streak much. 303 Quick Wax streaks a little. Both are good products.

I used both of those yesterday.

Jeremy1976
02-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Less product and use a separate high quality MF to buff off with little to no pressure. I always use 2 towels. One for application, one for final buff. Eagle Edgeless is all I use for paint.

Mike Honcho
02-01-2017, 07:12 PM
What were the weather conditions at the time?

I've used Meguiars UQW which is a close relative to D156 and the only time I've had streaks were due to applying too much product, or trying to apply it in very cool and humid conditions. Even when streaks appeared a VERY light spritz of additional product on the area along with a light re-buff of the area.

A little humid.

Mike Honcho
02-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Was that multiple choice? I pick "lose weight"

This. I find the "flip the towel for the final wipe" only works for the first panel or two, then it's better (if less convenient) to use a second towel for drying. Hope this helps.

Good points. (Including the weight loss.) :)

Mike Honcho
02-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Less product and use a separate high quality MF to buff off with little to no pressure. I always use 2 towels. One for application, one for final buff. Eagle Edgeless is all I use for paint.

I think that's my problem. Too much product. Thanks!

Mad Wax
02-01-2017, 08:09 PM
D156 you'll need to buff. I find too if I use a towel that's old, it doesn't wipe and absorb as well for a final buff.

FocusSTguy
02-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Cool humid conditions can make drying/buffing off product more difficult. I can really tell in the winter. When I bring my cold car into a heated shop to wash the first panels take a couple of passes to dry but by the end when the paint has warmed up it's one and done.

What kind of towels are you using to wipe? If you have any of the Griots Garage PFM towels give those a try. Far and away the best drying towel I've come across.

vanev
02-01-2017, 09:37 PM
I use spray waxes and detail sprays all the time.
Never get streaking.

When you say streaking, do you mean runs?
As in a single stream of product running in a straight line from a window seam, door seem, panel seam, etc...?
Product will stream out of cracks and crevices, you have to watch that.
Air tools and steamers are good for blowing out cracks, crevices, and seams.

Mike Honcho
02-01-2017, 11:22 PM
Cool humid conditions can make drying/buffing off product more difficult. I can really tell in the winter. When I bring my cold car into a heated shop to wash the first panels take a couple of passes to dry but by the end when the paint has warmed up it's one and done.

What kind of towels are you using to wipe? If you have any of the Griots Garage PFM towels give those a try. Far and away the best drying towel I've come across.

I'm using the Gold Plush Jr. Towels. I'll get some of the PFMs in my next order I place.