PDA

View Full Version : New Member in Austin, TX

TexasWahoo
01-31-2017, 04:42 PM
Hi, guys. I'm just a regular guy who drives a regular car but I like to keep it in nice shape. I bought a 2016 Honda CRV Touring (black, of course) in late October and had been taking it to the local "hand car wash" until earlier this month. Because I wasn't satisfied with their work lately, I started researching the best products and techniques here. I've spent a couple of weeks going down the rabbit hole and ended up with what I think are decent tools to start, mostly Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and Cobra products.

Of course since I have a bit of an obsessive personality and I've gone down the rabbit hole, I see the swirls that have already been put into the black paint, so I'm pondering buying a DA polisher and getting to work but this can be a little intimidating to a regular Joe. I normally wouldn't ask a professional for advice on doing a job he does for a living but I wonder if there is anyone in Austin who I could stop by and speak with and maybe look at my car. I apologize in advance is this is rude.

Anyway, thank you all for all the tips and techniques you share here. I think I've learned a lot. Time will tell if I really get it.

ViperGuy21
01-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Welcome from north Texas!

People on here are generally very generous and helpful so I'm sure you'll find someone who will help you out

TexasWahoo
01-31-2017, 05:36 PM
Thank you very much, ViperGuy!

DaveT435
01-31-2017, 09:48 PM
Welcome! Arlington here.

Guyb
02-01-2017, 06:56 AM
Welcome to the forum! You should be able to find the help you need from the forum.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-01-2017, 07:14 AM
Welcome to AutoGeekOnline from Germany!

Congrats on the new car!

FlyinLow
02-19-2017, 03:49 PM
Good afternoon, Texas! I felt the same way you do, but I swear, if you are at all handy, the DA is very manageable. I did my first trial run at using a power tool for detailing and at paint correct on my 2005 Ford Escape, which was overall in decent condition but had some nasty scrapes at the bumpers from those tiny underground parking lots in Germany. I watched a metric ton of YouTube and reading AOG and other top forums, then dove in with a PC and even some minor wet sanding. If you've caught all of the basics (from 2-bucket wash to claying to "always do a test panel" and "use the least aggressive method to achieve the results you want"), you should be fine. My understanding is that you have to try pretty hard to do damage with a DA, if you've learned anything here! I say go for it, then sit back, allow yourself to be amazed at what you can accomplish, and enjoy the beauty of it! Enjoy this holiday weekend; might as well take advantage of the current sale as a reason to get started

PS: And always throw the cord over your shoulder. Can't forget that one. :cool: