PDA

View Full Version : Mobile detailer or mobile car washer?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cruzscarwash
01-31-2017, 09:45 AM
So had an interesting chat with a client and want to hear what you guys think.

Basically what he said was that Thier are to many mobile washers using the word detail or detailer in Thier name when they are only washers. Before he came to me he said he got into an argument with another detailer because his company name was XXXX mobile detail service but the guy only washes the exterior and cleans the interior, he does not do any paint defect work. So he called the guy a car washer and the detailer got very upset with the client. The client then went on to say that when you go to a hand car wash it is just that, it does not say hand detail, or when you go to a automatic car wash it's just that, a car wash not an automatic detail. He continued to use more examples like this, he made sure to mention that there is nothing wrong with being a mobile car washer but it gives clients the wrong idea of what to expect.

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

LEDetailing
01-31-2017, 11:03 AM
So had an interesting chat with a client and want to hear what you guys think.

Basically what he said was that Thier are to many mobile washers using the word detail or detailer in Thier name when they are only washers. Before he came to me he said he got into an argument with another detailer because his company name was XXXX mobile detail service but the guy only washes the exterior and cleans the interior, he does not do any paint defect work. So he called the guy a car washer and the detailer got very upset with the client. The client then went on to say that when you go to a hand car wash it is just that, it does not say hand detail, or when you go to a automatic car wash it's just that, a car wash not an automatic detail. He continued to use more examples like this, he made sure to mention that there is nothing wrong with being a mobile car washer but it gives clients the wrong idea of what to expect.

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

While I agree with the client, why does it concern him what the washer's company name is? Detailing is subjective anyways. The "washer" will lose customers who know what a true detail entails and require that service. The customers just getting a wash/vac and think their car is detailed, won't care what the guy's van says on the side.

I don't go into Carl's Custom Car Shop and critique his name and level of services. Just my opinion.

vanev
01-31-2017, 11:14 AM
I agree with the customer.

If the advertised detailer only offers cars washes and simple wipe downs of interiors, this business is a car washing business and not a detailing business.
While washing a vehicle is part of the process of a detail, and a detailed wash is certainly different than a basic wash, only offering simple washes and basic interior cleanings is not detailing.

I also don't completely agree that detailing is subjective, at least not in the context of this conversation.
If a business is only offering basic washes and basic interior cleanings, and marketing itself as detailing, then that is deceptive and false advertising.

Setec Astronomy
01-31-2017, 11:22 AM
Shoot guys, there is no official definition of the term "detailer" (well, maybe the IDA has one...but that's not going to be binding when you register your business name, nor retroactive), just like there is no official definition of "wax" "polish" "glaze". I think it's a silly argument for the customer or the detailer (ha) to get involved in.

JustJesus
01-31-2017, 11:41 AM
Huh. Car washer. That sounds fitting, if the guy ONLY offers washes (w/interior cleaning). If he offers other services, then yes, mobile detailer.

From a different stand point, I wouldn't want to call myself a mobile car washer, even if that's all I did.

LEDetailing
01-31-2017, 11:57 AM
I agree with the customer.

If the advertised detailer only offers cars washes and simple wipe downs of interiors, this business is a car washing business and not a detailing business.
While washing a vehicle is part of the process of a detail, and a detailed wash is certainly different than a basic wash, only offering simple washes and basic interior cleanings is not detailing.

I also don't completely agree that detailing is subjective, at least not in the context of this conversation.
If a business is only offering basic washes and basic interior cleanings, and marketing itself as detailing, then that is deceptive and false advertising.

Have you ever been to a touchless car wash and used the $12.00 "premium" super clean wash, with multi-colored soap and Blue Coral/Turtle "wax"? Now that is deceptive and false advertising:)

AZ Mike
01-31-2017, 12:09 PM
Shoot guys, there is no official definition of the term "detailer" (well, maybe the IDA has one...but that's not going to be binding when you register your business name, nor retroactive), just like there is no official definition of "wax" "polish" "glaze". I think it's a silly argument for the customer or the detailer (ha) to get involved in.

:iagree:

Cruzscarwash
01-31-2017, 03:32 PM
So I guess my client had gone to 3 or 4 "detailers" before he found me so each time it just added to his frustration

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

215Detailing
01-31-2017, 04:23 PM
What Is Paint Correction? | Car Cleaning Guru (http://www.carcleaningguru.com/what-is-paint-correction/)

215Detailing
01-31-2017, 04:27 PM
type this is search engine: Question: Do you need full paint correction or just a detailing?

vanev
01-31-2017, 04:45 PM

There may not be an official definition of detailing.
That does not mean it is not defined, nor does it mean anything goes, just because anyone can get away with it.

type this is search engine: Question: Do you need full paint correction or just a detailing?

Paint correction is a cornerstone of detailing.
That does not mean a lesser service does not qualify as a detailed service.
It does mean if the lesser service is the only service offered, then it should not be advertised under the umbrella of detailing, which by the very nature of the word, implies a complete list of services offered.

dcjredline
01-31-2017, 05:39 PM
So if you do a "detailed" job at cleaning the interior and washing but no paint correction you cant call yourself a detailer? I lean towards detailing as being detailed in what you do. NOT as paint correction specifically. To me paint correction is DIFFERENT and MORE. I think I want to call my business Auto Appearance Care. That includes paint correction in it.

Real Riders
01-31-2017, 07:19 PM
I have detail in my business name and only do exterior washes. I sometimes have problems explaining to people that I do not detail cars and some do not want to take no for answer

Sharply Dressed
02-01-2017, 08:22 AM
I like the client's thinking and I understand the points made about the term detailing. To me it's the continual education of customers and the demonstration of paint correction through skilled work that separates a "detailer" from others. It's a small percentage of car owners that know the difference and want it. It takes effort through education to increase our share of the larger percentage of folks yet to see the light.

KirkH
02-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Sounds to me like the client just wanted to insult someone.