PDA

View Full Version : Time to detail my 9 month old car!!

TJinFL
01-29-2017, 05:48 PM
​I have a 2016 silver RAV4 which I initially polished with Klasse AOI and topped that with 476s. Since then I have washing every week or two with ONR and once couple of months applying OCW as drying agent.

The car looks showroom new. It is garaged and I live in Florida. Yjr finish is very shiny and beads well.

I was somewhat dissappointed with the original polish/wax process as it stained my black trim and that was hard to get off.

I bought some HG Speed which isn't supposed to stain the trim.

Now I have been wowed by the claims for the various sealants and coatings and as I sought alternatives to my original products.

I looked at Opti-seal but there doesn't seem to be much longevity there.

Opti-coat doesn't seem any better than 476s.

HD Poxy also. All these products seem to last a lot less than the Collinite!

The coatings seem rather tricky.

So it looks like I will apply the HD Speed with a DA polisher and perhaps stick with the 476s being careful to avoid the trim.

I am interest in appearance but also slickness and longevity.

I plan to continue the regimen with the ONR and OCW.

Also I plan to clay the vehicle with a fine autoscrub sponge and OCW as a lubricant.

Any comments or recommendations?

Souldetailer
01-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Colli 476 is a beast of wax. I mean that in a good way. I got well over a year of stellar protection, on a DD no less, with proper care and maintenance of the paint. As you already know, you have to stay away from the trim. Coatings can be somewhat tricky but are not a problem if you ask the good people here on the forum what you need to do. Once you apply a few it's really nothing to replicate proper procedure. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

briarpatch
01-29-2017, 09:23 PM
Have you considered Collinite 845 as a topper for Speed?

Desertnate
01-30-2017, 09:12 AM
Collinite products are a good benchmark for durability. I easily get 6 months out of 845, and have heard 476 is even more durable. I don't think there there are any other traditional sealants or waxes which will beat them, at any price point. That's the beauty of that vendor. FK 1000 might be about the only one based on anecdotal evidence.

I've never used 476, but the white staining you saw may have been from the Klasse AIO. I've had all sorts of issues with it on trim over the years, which is one of the reasons I don't use it any more.

If you want to try an easy coating, McKee's 37 is inexpensive (for a coating), and almost dummy proof to apply. I would use it as your "gateway drug", if you are curious about that type of product.

Since you are talking about applying durable LSP's, why mess with an AIO like Speed, and not simply polish out the paint and then top it with the LSP of your choice? A mild dedicated polish would probably produce better results than an AIO, and since your taking that step anyway you might as well make the most of it! On soft Toyota paint, I've found Meguiars Ultimate Polish to work really well with a white Lake Country Flat Pad.