View Full Version : Red light and speeding cameras

Pages : [1] 2

kevincwelch
01-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Hate 'em. Hate 'em....

2011 302
01-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Hate 'em. Hate 'em....
Cedar Rapids Iowa is in the process of shutting down some of the speed cameras as they are within a 1000 ft of a speed change and they haven't been able to prove they have made the road safer
It's nothing more than a cash grab
It's been in the courts as to the legality of useing them since no officer witnessed the speeding

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
01-29-2017, 09:44 AM
I take it something came in the mail for you Kevin? If so, that sucks, Amanda has gotten 2 of them since we lived in Elk Grove Village, both were from a rolling stop.

Whitewater25
01-29-2017, 10:26 AM
I have friends who got speeding tickets because they went faster than the timed distance between 2 Sunpass toll sections on the turnpike. Red light cameras were a cash cow for cities that lost all the tax revenue when the economy crashed in 08-09 and now that the economy has recovered,they don't want to give up on the loot. I hear plans are in the works to do away with them in the near future,just not near enough for most of us.

Mantilgh
01-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Yes, slow roll rights on red get me every time.

They'll even give you a link to watch the video or time lapse photos.

kevincwelch
01-29-2017, 10:36 AM
6:30 am on an empty section of Irving Park Rd ... 40 in a 30 section. Saw the flashes as I passed through. Maybe I won't get anything....

Mantilgh
01-29-2017, 10:37 AM
I have friends who got speeding tickets because they went faster than the timed distance between 2 Sunpass toll sections on the turnpike. Red light cameras were a cash cow for cities that lost all the tax revenue when the economy crashed in 08-09 and now that the economy has recovered,they don't want to give up on the loot. I hear plans are in the works to do away with them in the near future,just not near enough for most of us.

I've being wondering when they'll start reading our license plates like bar codes and send us tickets for covering too much distance in to short of time on all major highways.

Mantilgh
01-29-2017, 10:39 AM
Big money makers for them, and probably less work.

Win win for them.

Whitewater25
01-29-2017, 10:39 AM
Ya need one of those James Bond rotary license plates

Whitewater25
01-29-2017, 10:43 AM
I've being wondering when they'll start reading our license plates like bar codes and send us tickets for covering too much distance in to short of time on all major highways.

As bad as the traffic is down here,that wouldn't happen very often. But they won't give us money back because the lights are so out of sequence that a drive that usually takes 20 min now takes 30-35 min.

Belair
01-29-2017, 11:03 AM
In Denver if you get a speeding ticket from one of those cameras it says you don't have to pay it and there will not be anything on your driving record about it. But the print is small and on the back of the ticket.

jcaustin87
01-29-2017, 01:28 PM
They were all the rage here in Texas for a while. I find them to be somewhat unconstitutional because if you call the police department that "issued" the ticket, and ask to set up a meeting with the officer who issued your ticket, you almost always were told that they were not located at this department. So a sworn peace officer of this state, located in another state, issued me a ticket and I don't have the ability to meet my accuser?

There's plenty of websites and lawyers out there who make what I consider to be fair money guiding you through the process. The best thing you can do is NOT LOG INTO THE VIDEO! Then they have a record of you logging in, thusly acknowledge you have received the citation. They NEVER send these things via certified mail, or request a signature. The burden of proof is not on you that you didn't receive it. The burden of proof is on them that you did receive it. The other thing is, in Texas, there wasn't a whole lot they could jam you up on if you never paid it. If you went to renew your license plates in person, there was a 50/50 shot they would renew them for you, despite the unpaid citation. If you did it online directly through the state, it didn't even blink twice.

I've paid them every time because my significant other / spouse both times logged in to watch the video before I could get to the mail box...

Klasse Act
01-29-2017, 01:54 PM
6:30 am on an empty section of Irving Park Rd ... 40 in a 30 section. Saw the flashes as I passed through. Maybe I won't get anything....
I've seen a single flash sometimes, seems like a warning to me but who knows, it is Illinoyed afterall[emoji61] [emoji328]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Helltopay
01-29-2017, 02:16 PM
I am just grateful that we don't have display license plates/tags on both the front and back of our cars. A license plate on the front of a car is hideous, particularly newer cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

BrutalNoodle
01-29-2017, 06:07 PM
You guys nailed it with the 'cash grab.'

Is it about safety? Sure that sounds noble, but let's be honest - it's about money. It always is.

For many, one ticket = a week's pay.