PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle’s Ultra Poly Clay, removes wax?

fightnews
01-28-2017, 09:10 AM
this is billed as a fine grade clay you can use daily without adverse effects. the information page all but says it will not remove wax. i am just looking for actual confirmation if there are any pinnacle reps on the forum or knowledgeable members familiar with the product? i will post some lines from the product page

With this ultra fine clay, you can maintain a totally clean, sleek finish everyday. We’re calling it “enthusiast grade” for perfectionists who want that just-clayed finish all the time!

From the infancy of clay, the only grade available to consumers has been a medium grade, designed to remove contamination twice a year. This grade removes everything from the paint, including wax.

Since vehicles are bombarded by pollution every day of the year, consumers wanted a finer grade of clay to clean the paint as often as necessary with no adverse effects

so basicially to me it sounds like you can use it without stripping wax? any help is greatly appreciated

Paul A.
01-28-2017, 09:17 AM
No, clay removes wax. Even fine grade clay.

Eldorado2k
01-28-2017, 09:37 AM
In my personal experience, if there's "wax" on my paint there's no contaminants bonded to the paint. [if any it's very minimal at most, mainly due to my layer of protection nearing its end]
It's for this reason why I'm looking forward to using the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay as all I ever need on my own cars is very light duty decontamination prior to applying another layer of protection.. Does it remove "wax"? I don't really care because anytime I clay I'm immediately following it with a fresh layer of "wax"

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170128/9cae6db939d611ca26a61e99ff2c3a6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

fightnews
01-28-2017, 09:46 AM
ya ive decided to clay, then a coat of show car glaze then another coat of wax just incase, they def do insinuate that it won't remove wax though so it would be nice to know for sure.

common sense says wax is bonded to the paint and clay removes bonded contaminates but idk they say they have put years of research into the poly clay so maybe they figured out a way to do it. ive been pretty impressed with my other pinnacle products so far...

Eldorado2k
01-28-2017, 09:54 AM
they say they have put years of research into the poly clay so maybe they figured out a way to do it.

Just remember, this would mean Americans did the research, not Germans.. Huge difference, buddy. Lol. J/k[emoji2]

Btw, the back label of the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay recommends to use monthly, not daily.

Sent from my iPhone

Paul A.
01-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Comparing just the physical properties of the two different elements here...wax and clay (even fine clay)...i'd be surprised a harder, more dense material such as clay would not have an effect rubbing off wax. Maybe not all of it but some of it certainly. The "bond" or adherence of a wax to paint is not, in my opinion, as strong as a sealant or coating. I'm also with Eldo on always applying another layer of LSP after claying. Even if I'm using ultra fine poly clay. Just as insurance I have restored any LSP I removed after claying.

Good initial question though fightnews!

FUNX650
01-28-2017, 05:05 PM
You don't polish after claying?

I sure do! And, because I always
polish after claying: a new application
of an LSP becomes an essential step.

Bob

Eldorado2k
01-28-2017, 06:46 PM
You don't polish after claying?

I've only had clay marr paint once in my life.
[not including yesterday when I used a a nano pad for the 1st time, which of course marred the paint. The other predictable time is that strip under the rear window of my Kia which always marrs on the right side of the door only] I've clayed the Kia maybe 3-4 times now and still haven't polished it [other than the rear door of the vehicle with a 3" pad]

... But other than that I've only had clay marr the paint once, and as soon as I noticed it I switched to my clay towel and it resolved the issue on that paint.
IME paint typically looks better after claying, [especially after removing overspray] and not necessarily in "need" of polishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fightnews
01-29-2017, 05:53 AM
I've only had clay marr paint once in my life.
[not including yesterday when I used a a nano pad for the 1st time, which of course marred the paint. The other predictable time is that strip under the rear window of my Kia which always marrs on the right side of the door only] I've clayed the Kia maybe 3-4 times now and still haven't polished it [other than the rear door of the vehicle with a 3" pad]

... But other than that I've only had clay marr the paint once, and as soon as I noticed it I switched to my clay towel and it resolved the issue on that paint.
IME paint typically looks better after claying, [especially after removing overspray] and not necessarily in "need" of polishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ya the only reason i even wanted to clay again is because using the clay mitt for the first time marred my paint so badly. never ever had that problem with regular clay. thats why i think the mitts suck, who cares if your polishing after you still dont want to just marr the hell out of the paint. anyway i didnt bother the paint is already super smooth. i was only questioning it becuase of my traumatic experience with the clay mitt a couple weeks ago

Eldorado2k
01-29-2017, 07:13 AM
ya the only reason i even wanted to clay again is because using the clay mitt for the first time marred my paint so badly. never ever had that problem with regular clay. thats why i think the mitts suck, who cares if your polishing after you still dont want to just marr the hell out of the paint. anyway i didnt bother the paint is already super smooth. i was only questioning it becuase of my traumatic experience with the clay mitt a couple weeks ago

That's how I feel about the DA clay pad.. I like the Speedy Prep Towel though. But I think clay does a better total job.

Sent from my iPhone

hoyt66
01-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Being an enthusiast this is my go to clay as all my vehicles paint is for the most part is in good condition. That being said I also use a finishing polish after and then lsp. he reason I do is that even after a good wash I cannot believe how much dirt the clay pulls off and you know it does not get it all.I believe you get most of the above surface contaminants but the "dirt" itself no. So for me a finishing polish and lsp after this clay

Rsurfer
01-29-2017, 02:13 PM
Being an enthusiast this is my go to clay as all my vehicles paint is for the most part is in good condition. That being said I also use a finishing polish after and then lsp. he reason I do is that even after a good wash I cannot believe how much dirt the clay pulls off and you know it does not get it all.I believe you get most of the above surface contaminants but the "dirt" itself no. So for me a finishing polish and lsp after this clay

Wouldn't a paint cleaner be just as effective and yet less aggressive? Save your paint!:xyxthumbs:

hoyt66
01-29-2017, 08:37 PM
Wouldn't a paint cleaner be just as effective and yet less aggressive? Save your paint!:xyxthumbs:

I use pinnacle paint cleanser if I'm just changing lsp or putting a new coat on. Usually every spring if the paint feels rough I'll clay and polish. I use a finishing polish and pad. Not too worried about removing paint with that schedule and set up