PDA

View Full Version : Please Be Kind - I'm Stressed Enough

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pjstockford
01-27-2017, 05:19 PM
So tomorrow I'm going to be detailing my two month old 2016 Tornado Red GTI for the first time. I am a hobby detailer, not a pro. I have literally scoured forums, the internet through Google searches, and YouTube vids trying to come up with a plan. Would you guys/gals check out the plan and tell me if something is missing or it looks good .... kindly, please. [emoji16]

Below is the plan. I will be working with a Flex XC 3401 DA with 5.5" Lake & Country pads:

GTI DETAIL

Wash
Iron X
Foam gun
Clay
Wipe with paint prep
Test spot
***wolfgang tsr 3.0 w/ LC orange pad
***doesnt work - M105 with LC white pad
***doesnt work - M105 with LC orange pad
Ultima Paint Guard Plus (new formula)
Pinnacle Sig Series II carnauba

So fire away ......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mbkite
01-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Not a trump voter eh

Pjstockford
01-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Almost forgot photos.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/b436a3add3d747392ca9d3b09ee45b80.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/b1d1c05e59944305c3e6ca23cb424751.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/066220a6493e340296c17b3be63ebc82.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/f2c1c5bc41065e906cd1e8dfa2400976.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pjstockford
01-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Not a trump voter eh

Guess I'm not sure what that means? But no ....

Paul A.
01-27-2017, 05:42 PM
PJ, that looks like a pretty good plan but you may want something after the M105 if you go that way. do you have any finish or less aggressive polishes?

I also don't wipe down with a paint prep or cleaner after claying. I do fully wipe the paint after my final buff out and before LSP.

One last suggestion. I have never used Ultima Paint Guard but sealants like to "rest" a bit to fully cure before topping with your Pinnacle wax. Sealants vary from about 6-24 hours after application before you close it in with the wax. I bet it will look stunning though!

Pjstockford
01-27-2017, 05:47 PM
PJ, that looks like a pretty good plan but you may want something after the M105 if you go that way. do you have any finish or less aggressive polishes?

I don't. I'm really hoping the Wolfgang works. What would you suggest?

etnops
01-27-2017, 06:00 PM
I don't. I'm really hoping the Wolfgang works. What would you suggest?

Wolfgang TSR should work quite well on that paint. My carbon grey 2015 GTI responded well to TSR. Finished down LSP ready, using an orange Hybrid Lake Country pad and a 3401. Just work the TSR thru the buffing cycle...at least 5 section passes, with the last pass or two at light(er) pressure.
If you get haze, switch to a white polishing pad. If that doesn't work, complete another buffing cycle (2 step) with some Meguiars Ultimate Polish - which can be purchased locally.
I'd bet the TSR on an orange pad will do just fine, though.
Best of luck.

Pjstockford
01-27-2017, 06:01 PM

I also don't wipe down with a paint prep or cleaner after claying. I do fully wipe the paint after my final buff out and before LSP.

One last suggestion. I have never used Ultima Paint Guard but sealants like to "rest" a bit to fully cure before topping with your Pinnacle wax. Sealants vary from about 6-24 hours after application before you close it in with the wax. I bet it will look stunning though!

Went back and looked at my order and you're right, I do have the paint prep in the wrong spot. Thanks for catching that.

I did read where the Ultima Paint Guard needs to set up. My plan was to let it sit overnight before the wax application. I guess the new version will set in 30 minutes, but I'll wait.

Thank you very much for the help!!! I hope my plan works.

mike33175
01-27-2017, 06:08 PM
I agree on not using paint prep after clay. It's not needed since you'll be correcting the paint after clay.

Every_detail
01-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Hey man. Where you in central Maine? I'm in Sidney, need a hand or anything let me know.

Pjstockford
01-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Hey man. Where you in central Maine? I'm in Sidney, need a hand or anything let me know.

Thanks. I will. Belgrade Lakes area.

Paul A.
01-27-2017, 06:18 PM
I agree with etnops on the WGTSR. That's good stuff and just might be all you need.

My suggestion was based on the chance that you find the M105 cuts better and does more work for you on the swirls and scratches. If that's the case, I have always found the need to refine a little more cus of what it leaves to clean up and brighten after. The old standby in the Meg's lineup is M205 after 105 but I like Megs Ultimate Polish a little better. My all time favorite after 105 is Menzerna 3500.

Again, let's hope the Wolfgang gets you what you want. Just for giggles and snickers, try a test of WGTSR on a white or black pad after the orange passes. Just to see if you can refine a little more gloss out of it. Get back to us and let us know.

Every_detail
01-27-2017, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=Pjstockford;1459923]Thanks. I will. Belgrade Lakes area.

M100 would work great. I used m105 and a megs MF on my black cc and left it almost LSP ready. 105 just dusts too much for my liking.

Aaryn NZ
01-27-2017, 06:47 PM
Wolfgang TSR should work quite well on that paint. My carbon grey 2015 GTI responded well to TSR. Finished down LSP ready, using an orange Hybrid Lake Country pad and a 3401. Just work the TSR thru the buffing cycle...at least 5 section passes, with the last pass or two at light(er) pressure.
If you get haze, switch to a white polishing pad. If that doesn't work, complete another buffing cycle (2 step) with some Meguiars Ultimate Polish - which can be purchased locally.
I'd bet the TSR on an orange pad will do just fine, though.
Best of luck.

:iagree:

etnops pretty much nails it here I think, at least thats what I would go with if thats what I had at hand. :xyxthumbs: Yay for a GTi, share some pictures with us when you're done yeah? Have fun. :buffing:

Aaryn NZ.:xyxthumbs:

PaulMys
01-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Central Maine? Hope you're working inside, pj! ;)

Your process looks sound. Like with all of us though, you can read & read & read some more, but nothing takes the place of actually doing it.

What you will find though, is that you'll have the hang of it in no time.

Good luck, brother. :)