PDA

View Full Version : Best Sealant for fresh painted wheels-GTechniq C5, Gloss Coat, Wolfgang Metall Werk

Crispy
01-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Getting ready to seal a set of freshly painted wheels and looking for pros and cons on these three that I have.

Wheels were painted by myself using rattle cans, but did use a 2K Clear Coat (also from an aerosol).

This is the finished wheel in question (been sitting since Jan 8/16)

Here are my findings/thoughts so far:

1. GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour

did powdercoated winter's and seem to clean up very well
good reviews for gloss and longevity
Heat resistant on wheels
Long lasting
topped winter's with Permanon, cleaned easy
have almost full vial of product

2. Optimum Gloss Coat

most currently used product - is on the car-paint, wheels, taillights, interior plastic etc.
very high gloss and can be topped with Opti-Seal or 845
lasts log time on paint
decent heat resistance

3. Wolfgang Metall Werk Concours Metal Sealant (this one makes my spell checker go bananas)

polymer sealant with light cleaner-might be good maintenance product
more of a topper product
brilliant shine-like a wax almost
very easy to see where applied as dries to a haze
cannot be over applied

Any comments or practical suggestions would be helpful.

Longevity is not a real issue as will probably have to touch next winter anyways.

MarkD51
01-27-2017, 02:56 PM
I gather GTechniq C5 is actually a coating?

I myself would definitely choose some coating versus any sealants or waxes. especially since these wheels were done with a rattle can, even with the more durable 2 part epoxy sprays.

Trip
01-27-2017, 03:21 PM
^ Same as above Gtechniq C5 for those Shiney looking Grand Prix rims. Did you also paint that little centre cap.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

The Guz
01-27-2017, 03:22 PM
I gather GTechniq C5 is actually a coating?

I myself would definitely choose some coating versus any sealants or waxes. especially since these wheels were done with a rattle can, even with the more durable 2 part epoxy sprays.

I agree with Mark. Stick with a coating. C5 has a higher heat resistance than gloss coat. I would go with either one. Possibly do a test to see which performs better. Leave one wheel with gloss coat and the others with C5.

Crispy
01-27-2017, 04:12 PM
^ Same as above Gtechniq C5 for those Shiney looking Grand Prix rims. Did you also paint that little centre cap.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

No the caps are brand new stock units.

Can't wait for spring.

Crispy
01-27-2017, 04:15 PM
I agree with Mark. Stick with a coating. C5 has a higher heat resistance than gloss coat. I would go with either one. Possibly do a test to see which performs better. Leave one wheel with gloss coat and the others with C5.

You are correct the C5 is a coating and I should have realized that before I posted.

Comparing a coating to a sealant is a little unfair.

WillSports3
01-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Definitely do C5 over Gloss Coat, in fact depending on if they're summer or winter wheels, I would do about three coats on em if they're winter wheels.

The Guz
01-27-2017, 05:27 PM
You are correct the C5 is a coating and I should have realized that before I posted.

Comparing a coating to a sealant is a little unfair.

I'd be curious to see what kind of longevity you would get in a harsh condition comparing gloss coat and wheel armour. If you decide to do that let me know your feedback. I have C5 on my Camaro but I don't drive that car that much so the coating will probably last forever.

Crispy
01-27-2017, 06:17 PM
I'd be curious to see what kind of longevity you would get in a harsh condition comparing gloss coat and wheel armour. If you decide to do that let me know your feedback. I have C5 on my Camaro but I don't drive that car that much so the coating will probably last forever.

I currently have the C5 on my winter wheels.

They were powdercoated (badly) last summer and C5 put on prior to installing early Nov 2016.

So far looks same as when applied.

Gloss Coat was on the Summers last year and did well for season.

Since I only keep the painted finish for 6 months not really a test of how long they last as I mentioned in the original post.

The Guz
01-27-2017, 07:26 PM
I would use C5 just to use it up seeing as gloss coat lasts longer once it is open. I think C5 is a couple months once opened.

Crispy
01-28-2017, 12:02 PM
I would use C5 just to use it up seeing as gloss coat lasts longer once it is open. I think C5 is a couple months once opened.

I didn't know that C5 only lasts couple months when opened.

I did the winter's back in September.

Do you think the product is toast?

Crispy
02-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Whew dodged a bullet on this one.

Sent a quick message off to GTechniq

Hello,

I used the C5 back in September 2016 to coat my powder coated wheels and only used ¼ of the bottle.

It has been suggested that the product has a shelf life of couple of months?

The bottle has been stored inside, in a small cooler bag with no light getting at it.

I gave the bottle a shake and it still is very liquid and crystal clear.

I’m planning on putting this on another set of wheels in February, just want to be sure I’m using good product.

Please advise.

Answer:

HI Chris,

As long as the product has been stored correctly and has no ‘cured’ pieces inside then it should be fine

Regards

Adam Eaton
Gtechniq ltd

Looks like it lasts a long time if stored properly and there is nothing in the bottle.

Crispy
02-05-2017, 07:21 PM
So did today with C5.

Easy on and looked good after applying.

Waiting 24 hrs before touch it.

Crispy
04-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Just to put some closure to this thread, the C5 lasted the whole winter on powder coated wheels.

Barrels had not been touched since put on car.

I cleaned the barrels and they look like the day I put them on.

Dirt came right off with just soap and water.

Beading like crazy.

Summer wheels only couple weeks and 1 wash, so early to tell.

Will post a new thread on the Summer's as time passes.