PDA

View Full Version : Can window coating cause freezing on windshield?

xirurg
01-26-2017, 05:41 PM
Hey guys!

I am encountering something strange this winter- on both my cars, one coated with wolfs nano something, and one with griots glass sealant, there is a considerable freezing if I clean the windshield when the temperature is below freezing. I have tried sonax winter wash and something similar from wurth- same results. But the fluid itself does not freeze overnight, even in -25C. Only when I mist the windshield.

I know it sounds dumb, but can the sealant contribute to washer freezing, or the fluids that I am using are crap?

Thanks!

GSKR
01-27-2017, 07:05 AM
Cure your promblems with McKees anti frost windshield solution.

Desertnate
01-27-2017, 08:42 AM
It may simply be a factor of the cold. When you mist a liquid onto the glass in those temps and then spread it even thinner with your wipers, it may be more likely to freeze because you are increasing the fluid's surface area to the cold temps. I see this frequently when my car sits out in freezing cold conditions. While at rest the water will sit on the car in a liquid state. As soon as I hit the wipers and start moving the car the water freezes almost instantly.

Are you talking about -25F or -25C? Either way that's really cold. In my area, most of the winter windshield fluids are only rated to 0 or -10F. You have to look around to find the "good stuff" that works to -35F. The McKees 37 Fluid GSKR mentioned might work, but I don't see a temperature rating on it. As previously stated, not all anti-frost/winter washer fluids are created equal.

FUNX650
01-27-2017, 03:59 PM
It may be a cause: effecting surface
tension, as it were.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_21841.JPG

But the temperature's effect on the
viscosity of the "cleaning liquids"
(and/or their condensation)...just
might also be another cause.

Bob

xirurg
01-27-2017, 04:48 PM
It may simply be a factor of the cold. When you mist a liquid onto the glass in those temps and then spread it even thinner with your wipers, it may be more likely to freeze because you are increasing the fluid's surface area to the cold temps. I see this frequently when my car sits out in freezing cold conditions. While at rest the water will sit on the car in a liquid state. As soon as I hit the wipers and start moving the car the water freezes almost instantly.

Are you talking about -25F or -25C? Either way that's really cold. In my area, most of the winter windshield fluids are only rated to 0 or -10F. You have to look around to find the "good stuff" that works to -35F. The McKees 37 Fluid GSKR mentioned might work, but I don't see a temperature rating on it. As previously stated, not all anti-frost/winter washer fluids are created equal.

It may be a cause: effecting surface
tension, as it were.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_21841.JPG

But the temperature's effect on the
viscosity of the "cleaning liquids"
(and/or their condensation)...just
might also be another cause.

Bob

Thanks for reply! Thankfully, -25c :D

So basically, the hydrophobic coating makes the surface more slippery, which, together with the cold, causes the fluid to freeze?