PDA

View Full Version : Wax and dust questions...

jxr
01-26-2017, 12:15 PM
First post... [emoji4]

I applied Collinite 845 to a daily beater at a test spot after compounding and polishing; forgot about it for a month and yesterday I saw an interesting situation. The section (16 x16) that had wax was very dusty where the non waxed section had moderate dust.

I assumed that wax would in fact attract more dust due to its oily nature so I was wondering if there is anything out there that offers similar protection without the dusting issues.

Thanks!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/eed7c4d68a237e06ab1ee68ddb707ce5.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FUNX650
01-26-2017, 01:19 PM
I applied Collinite 845 to a
daily beater at a test spot
after compounding and polishing;

forgot about it for a month and
yesterday I saw an interesting situation.
The section (16 x16) that had wax was
very dusty where the non waxed section
had moderate dust.

I assumed that wax would in fact attract
more dust due to its oily nature

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/eed7c4d68a237e06ab1ee68ddb707ce5.jpg

Unless you used a "paint prep" type of
cleaner on the vehicle...Then, IMO: the
un-Waxed area---(that you have denoted
in your above photo as having nothing
on it)---would have, at the very least,
some polishing residues/oils left behind
from the polishing process(es)

Now:
Unless this scenario can be better described
as an anomaly...Who'd a thunk that Wax-oils
would attract more dust than polishing-oils?!

so I was wondering if there is anything
out there that offers similar protection
without the dusting issues.
Dust accumulation will always be a
detailing-issue...but give one of the
many Finishing Sealants that are available
at the AGO store a stab at its reduction
under the same set of circumstances:
You just may be pleasantly surprised.

Bob

jxr
01-26-2017, 01:23 PM
The "nothing" part just has ONR on it. No polishing/compund was done on that part.I was thinking of giving McKee's 37 Paint Coating a try.

TTQ B4U
01-26-2017, 01:49 PM
The "nothing" part just has ONR on it. No polishing/compund was done on that part.I was thinking of giving McKee's 37 Paint Coating a try.

I see a big difference in dust clinging to my car that has been coated with McKee's 37. It's solid black and after I washed it, I would literally see tons of road-dust on the rear area after a short trip. It's noticeably reduced now with a coating. I use a mix of CarPro ECH20 and CarPro Reload as my detail spray once cleaned/washed.

andy0902
01-26-2017, 01:57 PM
I see a big difference in dust clinging to my car that has been coated with McKee's 37. It's solid black and after I washed it, I would literally see tons of road-dust on the rear area after a short trip. It's noticeably reduced now with a coating. I use a mix of CarPro ECH20 and CarPro Reload as my detail spray once cleaned/washed.

I see the same thing with my Black BMW. It seems to attract less dust after coating with McKee's paint coating. Of course as a black car it can draw dust to it from the neighbors garage as well!

glfnaz
01-26-2017, 02:08 PM
I agree with the two folks above. Mckees 37 paint coating attracts less dust on my car. I've had similar results with WG LS

Paul A.
01-26-2017, 02:12 PM
I also have McKee's coating on my black BMW and have also noticed less dust with it.

My thinking holds that wax certainly by its nature has a clingy factor to it. I think of how soft it would get in the warmest months down here in Tampa. anything airborne and then hitting that mushy surface didn't leave. I also think sealants and now coatings are drier by composition. I'm no chemist and just how i see it.

FUNX650
01-26-2017, 03:45 PM
The "nothing" part just has ONR on it.
No polishing/compund was done on that part.

Well...Then that's a completely
different story, IMO.

After being used as an alternative
car-washing process...ONR leaves
some of its "polymers" behind on
the panel surfaces. Accordingly:
It looks like these particular ONR
polymers will attract less dust than
Wax's oils.

Some polymers, it has been said, will
provide "protection". It might behoove
you, then, to use the ONR, instead of
LSPs such as Waxes.

Bob

fightnews
01-26-2017, 04:16 PM
dont worry about it most wax does that after its first applied. just wash it, it won't attract as much dust after a wash or two. also get a duster