PDA

View Full Version : What kind of water is used in coin operated car washes

Crispy
01-23-2017, 09:54 PM
I used to work in a car wash (very long time ago) that actually recycled their water within the car wash.

I had to clean the filter with a shovel there was so much gunk in the winter months.

See alot of guys do a spray in the winter (no other option) and wonder how clean the water really is?

Anyone know?

Setec Astronomy
01-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Well, if you had to shovel debris, then they were filtering a lot of stuff out, right?

Let's think about this logically, like we don't know anything about water reclamation or treatment, but simply are wondering if the water is clean.

If you spray dirty water on a car and let it dry, then you wind up with a dirty car. So logic would dictate that the water would be "clean", otherwise the "car wash" wouldn't stay in business very long.

Or you could go to any of the websites of companies that make water reclamation systems for car washes, like this one:

http://www.con-servwater.com/uploads/carwash_process_flow.pdf

k20trick
01-23-2017, 11:04 PM
I used to work in a car wash (very long time ago) that actually recycled their water within the car wash.

I had to clean the filter with a shovel there was so much gunk in the winter months.

See alot of guys do a spray in the winter (no other option) and wonder how clean the water really is?

Anyone know?

The question is how would you know how the owner is maintaining their equipment. I always bring my own soap/wash mitts there even if the signs says not to. And while the tab says spot free rinse I still dry very quickly normally in the bay in the shade.

I used to go to these wash bays all the time now only use them for emergencies, a really dirty car that has not been maintained well to suffice a rinseless wash, its a great option for those stuck in a water restricted area and you want to deep clean with those pressure washers.

FUNX650
01-23-2017, 11:17 PM
This is a matter of public record.

•Car wash facilities should have permits
for fresh-water usage; waste-water; and
water recycling systems...among others.

•Contact your State/Local .gov agencies like
the: EPA, building inspector, Sewage and/or
Health departments, and even the Small
Business Development Center...to find out
the real dope on a particular car wash site.

That'll also include their maintenance; and
compliance/non-compliance records.

Bob

k20trick
01-23-2017, 11:43 PM
For someone going to a particular wash and they were serious about keeping their car immaculate, its great they have the option to search that information.

I honestly avoid it because I have everything I need:

But I do recall one time in 2016 where I took a car there due to an emergency situation. The owner wanted to go through a drive through car wash. I just wanted to cringe. I knew there was protection there luckily I was able to save the day and remove all those droppings without damaging the finish all that contamination only baked through the protection I had previously put on it :props:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/k20_turbo/IMG_1758.png (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/k20_turbo/media/IMG_1758.png.html)

Everyone was looking at me all crazy because I had my portable kwazar foamer (love that thing), internally I laughed, because I knew I had a good technique its what we car crazy people do I guess... I only used the pressure washer and spot free rinse there but it turned out really good.