PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer paint

asalesagent912
01-22-2017, 10:14 PM
My friend has a 1980 black corvette.
The car has Lacquer paint that is pretty swirled up.
He thinks the paint is kinda thin and i don't have a thickness gauge.
I actually never worked on this kind of paint so my question is
do i use the same products that i would use on a new car with a clear on it.
Is the process the same? thanks

Mike@ShineStruck
01-22-2017, 11:08 PM
yes same products and same procedure for test spot(s),.. I haven't really had much experience with lacquer paint.. my 72 skylark has it..and it was surprisingly hard..
I assumed it would be soft like all the other single stage paints ive did from the 50s-70s

asalesagent912
01-23-2017, 06:12 PM
yes same products and same procedure for test spot(s),.. I haven't really had much experience with lacquer paint.. my 72 skylark has it..and it was surprisingly hard..
I assumed it would be soft like all the other single stage paints ive did from the 50s-70s
thanks

Audios S6
01-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Since the corvette is primarily fiberglass, a basic PTG isn't going to be any good. You would need an ultrasonic PTG like the defelsko positector 200.

But specific to the car an lacquer. It can be treated the same as urethane. Need to be careful with the fiberglass though. It will not dissipate heat like metal, so you need to watch panel temps. A Non-diminishing abrasive will allow you to stop as soon as panel temps start to rise without short-cycling the compound. If panel temps rise, move to a new section and come back after the panel has cooled. This is obviously not very efficient, but is a safe method.

asalesagent912
01-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Since the corvette is primarily fiberglass, a basic PTG isn't going to be any good. You would need an ultrasonic PTG like the defelsko positector 200.

But specific to the car an lacquer. It can be treated the same as urethane. Need to be careful with the fiberglass though. It will not dissipate heat like metal, so you need to watch panel temps. A Non-diminishing abrasive will allow you to stop as soon as panel temps start to rise without short-cycling the compound. If panel temps rise, move to a new section and come back after the panel has cooled. This is obviously not very efficient, but is a safe method.
Thanks for that info