PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of product reviews (DP, Optimum, 4*, DG)

Pages : [1] 2

dontsleeponit
11-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Got a chance to use a few products on my car the other day that were new to me. First off, sorry for not having any pics, I was in a rush with alot of this.

DP Wheel Gel

Overall, I certainly expected more from this product. I used it on my factory wheels which are just painted aluminum. They were a little dirty, with some brake dust accumulating in the front, but nothing crazy. I was expecting it to be more gel like, It didn't really stick to the surfaces any better then my regular wheel cleaner. It cleaned well, although again not blown away by the power, because I still had to do a good bit of agitating with different brushes. In the end, its not a bad wheel cleaner by any means, but I will not be spending the money for another bottle.

Oh yea and I almost forgot. The trigger that came with the bottle is terrible. Its hard to squeeze and doesnt dispense very well. It is different then the sprayer that came with my other dp products, which work great.

Optimum Protectant Plus

Tom (trhland) gave me some of this to try (Thanks Tom). I think it is very similar to 303 protectant, it even looks very similar, they both are a thin pale white liquid. I applied to my interior vinyl and plastic with a MF applicator. It spreads easy, and when it dries it looks very clean and matte. It is a very nice interior dressing. I would have a hard time picking between this and 303. I am interested to see if it repels dust better then 303, my dash always seems to get dusty, so I will report back about this.

Four star leather cleaner gel and leather conditioner

Ok, so I have been using only lexol products on my leather seats, and they are nice especially for the price. The seats are a sportier, stiffer kind of leather with perforations. So I first used the leather cleaner gel. This stuff clinged well to the surface (I wish the DP gel was more like this!), and wiped very clean with a mf. The MF showed more dirt coming off the seats then anything else I have tried. I think it is a strong cleaner, even though it says its ph balanced.

Well after letting the seats dry a little, and they did seem to dry out quite a bit. I applied the conditioner with a MF applicator. It is a thick cream and it spreads easily and the seats soak it right up. After letting it dwell for about an hour, I came back, and was surprised because the seats still seemed more drier then normal and not really softened at all, kind of stiff. I wasnt happy. The next day I went to the car, and the seats were a little better, but still not as soft as I would hope. I think the leather cleaner gel dried them out alot, so I applied the conditioner again. And they are softer and nicer now. I think I will do another coat of conditioner. I would not use the cleaner gel all the time on leather, maybe just to give them a good cleaning when they are dirty. I will stick to DP total interior cleaner for cleaning leather more often.

The conditioner left not a hint of shine on the seats and smelled like heavily of leather, which I like. The smell doesnt stick around too much, but I can tell its there so its nice if you like it. Im still on the fence about this stuff, I still like Lexol alot especially for the price (half the price of this four start stuff).

Duragloss 105

I sealed the car up for winter. This was my first time using any kind of sealant. I stripped the car down with a strong wash solution, and applied the 105 with a foam applicator. It spread pretty easy and dries to a light haze. I buffed it off about 45min later, and I was amazed at how easily it comes off, might be even easier then a good paste wax. After letting it cure overnight, the car looks very shiny. It definatley adds alot of gloss. I think I can notice less depth then my usual nuba LSP, but again very glossy.

The next night I was parked outside by a friends house for awhile, came outside and it was moist and misty out. The mist that had formed on the car was in a very tight uniform beading pattern, it was really cool! Im expecting this stuff to leave some very durable long lasting protection. I think when I find time soon I will top it with my new XMT180, should look great.

So for the most part Im happy with my new stuff, I still have alot more products I havent really tested or even used, so come spring time Im gonna have alot to review. I may get some pics of the car after the wax, if I can get a nice day sometime soon.

scottgt
11-15-2007, 11:25 PM
cool thanks for the review

Rsurfer
11-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Nice review, thxs for posting:righton:

Bernard
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Great review. Thanks :) Nice to know u are happy with DG 105. Good product. :)

Jimmie
11-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Really enjoyed reading your reviews. Thanks.

greger
11-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Nice reviesThe 105 sounds like a nice product let us know how it looks topped with the 180. I understand about being rushed. The weather in NJ has not been very accomadating, not having a garage makes it near impossible to get anything done this time of year.

Z06-Goose
11-16-2007, 03:54 AM
Great reviews. Thanks for taking the time to share...

sparkie
11-16-2007, 05:12 AM
Nice review! Now lets see some pics.....:D

trhland
11-16-2007, 05:31 AM
nice review

supercharged
11-16-2007, 06:12 AM
I really like all the products listed above. Love 4 star leather cleaner. Works so well on dirty leather. And so does Lexol, since it's a gel.

Tonya
11-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share! Nice reviews!

YankeeFan
11-16-2007, 08:11 AM
thanks for the review Joe......curious what is your interior "MF applicator"? Right now I'm just using an old towel

Howard

blk45
11-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Duragloss 105

The next night I was parked outside by a friends house for awhile, came outside and it was moist and misty out. The mist that had formed on the car was in a very tight uniform beading pattern, it was really cool! Im expecting this stuff to leave some very durable long lasting protection. I think when I find time soon I will top it with my new XMT180, should look great.

Did you or are you going to put on a second layer of 105 before the 180?

dontsleeponit
11-16-2007, 12:53 PM
everyone is very welcome, Ive been very happy with nearly everything Ive purchased at AG, mostly in part to reading everyone's reviews on products and knowing what works and what doesnt.
:cheers:

thanks for the review Joe......curious what is your interior "MF applicator"? Right now I'm just using an old towel

Howard

Whenever is say MF applicator, im talking about those small sponges that are wrapped in MF, like this one...

Cobra Microfiber Applicator Pads spread car care products evenly & neatly. Cobra microfiber is nonabrasive and safe on clear coat finishes. (http://www.autogeek.net/cobmicpad.html)

Did you or are you going to put on a second layer of 105 before the 180?

Nope, one coat should be enough for me, my car stays garaged during any real nasty winter weather, so ill be fine with one coat of 105 and one wax coat.

MadOzodi
11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Ditto on the DP Wheel Gel. The sprayer that came with my 32oz. bottle sprays really well and evenly though, but I purchased the DP Wheel Special so that may be the reason? Pinnacle's Gel Wheel Cleaner is much more gel-y...too bad it's more expensive and you get less.

Oh, and ditto on the OP+