PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Opti™ Clean function?

fightnews
01-21-2017, 06:20 AM
this product smells like my all purpose cleaner, are we 100% sure its advertised cleaning function doesn't remove other waxes and then just leaves behind the optimum polymers only? i couldn't find it stated anywhere, are there any product reps here? maybe i will call customer service and report back

DogRescuer
01-21-2017, 06:31 AM
Im no scientist but I highly highly doubt it removes wax and I love Opticlean.

fightnews
01-21-2017, 06:36 AM
Im no scientist but I highly highly doubt it removes wax and I love Opticlean.

ok nice, i just noticed it smelled like my apc and they do advertise it as kind of a heavy cleaner for paint that leaves optimum polymers behind. it doesnt say anything about what it does to existing wax while its doing all that cleaning.

DogRescuer
01-21-2017, 08:16 AM
You're talking about the white liquid?

fightnews
01-21-2017, 08:31 AM
You're talking about the white liquid?

yes

Setec Astronomy
01-21-2017, 09:09 AM
ok nice, i just noticed it smelled like my apc and they do advertise it as kind of a heavy cleaner for paint that leaves optimum polymers behind. it doesnt say anything about what it does to existing wax while its doing all that cleaning.

Heavy cleaner? It's a waterless wash. I would consider it a coincidence that it "smells like your APC"...I had a QD that smelled like bubble gum, but I never tried to chew it because I thought it was bubble gum. The MSDS shows no hazardous ingredients, FWIW.

DogRescuer
01-21-2017, 09:23 AM
I really like opticlean.

BillyJack
01-21-2017, 09:25 AM
I've been using it for years and certainly don't consider it a "heavy cleaner". It's no stronger than the other WW's I use, Ultima and DG. I use it primarily on interiors, as it's safe for any hard surface, while not stripping the dressing. There's always a small bottle in my console that I use to maintain my leather steering wheel and shift knob, as well as seats dash & interior panels.

Bill

fightnews
01-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Heavy cleaner? It's a waterless wash. I would consider it a coincidence that it "smells like your APC"...I had a QD that smelled like bubble gum, but I never tried to chew it because I thought it was bubble gum. The MSDS shows no hazardous ingredients, FWIW.

ok good, i found this line on another page describing the product. it says:

" Utilizing special cleaning agents you can gently clean your entire car. It quickly lifts and separates oils, dust, dirt and other contaminants."

i feel like anything that can remove oil could also remove wax.

edit: also that is a bad analogy seeing as a qd is obviously not bubble gum. whats not so obvious is whether the cleaners in opticlean can degrade an lsp

fightnews
01-21-2017, 09:32 AM
I've been using it for years and certainly don't consider it a "heavy cleaner". It's no stronger than the other WW's I use, Ultima and DG. I use it primarily on interiors, as it's safe for any hard surface, while not stripping the dressing. There's always a small bottle in my console that I use to maintain my leather steering wheel and shift knob, as well as seats dash & interior panels.

Bill

its advertised as being a heavier cleaner then a regular waterless wash. if it is strong enough to "lift and separate oils" why cant it degrade an lsp or a trim coating?

BillyJack
01-21-2017, 09:45 AM
its advertised as being a heavier cleaner then a regular waterless wash. if it is strong enough to "lift and separate oils" why cant it degrade an lsp or a trim coating?

Here's a quote from Dr. G., Optimums owner and chemist that should answer your concern:
"Based on the chemistry of these products (Opti-Clean, No rinse, Instant Detailer), there should be no bonding issues or affects on the longevity of waxes or sealants when you use these products before or after application of waxes or sealants. The protective film these products leave behind is dissolved and removed by the chemical solvents and abrasives used in waxes or sealants. None of these products contain detergents or solvents to remove waxes or sealants and therefore they only add protection not remove them."

If you care to read the entire thread, here's the link: Review: Optimum Opti Clean - Optimum Opti-Clean - Optimum Forum (http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=1236)

Bill

Setec Astronomy
01-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Well, I know we're in a world where everyone is entitled to their own facts, but I'd go by the description at the Optimum website:

"Optimum Opti-Clean is the most advanced waterless wash in the marketplace. It is designed to wipe away dirt and grime from automotive paint and other surfaces safely and effectively in a spray and wipe application. Optimum Opti-Clean contains the same proven polymer system that is used in the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine as well as additional polymers that add greater lubricity and protection to the paint. Simply spray Optimum Opti-Clean on any surface and wipe off with a plush microfiber towel till the area is clean and dry.

Optimum Opti-Clean is available in ready to use 18 oz. size or in 4x concentrate in 32 oz. and gallon sizes. Simply spray Optimum Opti-Clean liberally on the painted surfaces and wipe with a clean plush microfiber towel. The substantive polymers encapsulate the dirt and grime to protect the paint from marring while lubricating and bonding to the painted and other automotive surfaces to provide greater protection while leaving a slick glossy finish behind."

There's nothing about "oils" in that description.