PDA

View Full Version : Just curious, Menzerna 1000. Thoughts, experiences?

Souldetailer
01-19-2017, 07:55 AM
What do you all think? Thanks.

Peace,

Darrin

Setec Astronomy
01-19-2017, 08:19 AM
What do I think? I think you should consider a different compound.

Souldetailer
01-19-2017, 08:27 AM
What do I think? I think you should consider a different compound.

Care to expound?

Setec Astronomy
01-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Care to expound?

Unless you're doing gelcoat on something huge, you're going to be happier spending more money on something like FG400.

Souldetailer
01-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Unless you're doing gelcoat on something huge, you're going to be happier spending more money on something like FG400.

Cool, I have and use FG400, 105 and FCC. A free sample of 1000 is available to me, was just wondering if it was worth my time. Appreciate you input.

Paul A.
01-19-2017, 08:40 AM
I tried Menz 1000 and agree with Setec. I didn't see anything it does that FG400 or 2500 doesn't. Basically i came to the conclusion it didn't really fill a gap in my service offerings I didn't already have covered. I love FG400 so much i vary my pad choices and get a much wider range of application! I still have an older bottle of Power Gloss that 1000 replaced and it's still 3/4 full.

Having said that, if I was ONLY working on my vehicle and found that to be the perfect product for the level of correction i might periodically need, i might try to get a 55 gallon barrel of it. I did find it consistent with every Menz product I've ever used...wonderfully long working time and nice wipe off.

I will also say that a free sample is absolutely worth trying. Again, you have the paint in front of you and a few test spots of FG400, M105, FCC and Menz 1000 would be interesting to see side by side. Put the 2 Menzerna's side by side though.

Setec Astronomy
01-19-2017, 09:02 AM
You can see it in the chart here: Menzerna, Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, Menzerna FMJ, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish, (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html)

PG has a cut of 8, and a gloss of 5, while FG400 has a cut of 8, and a gloss of 8, and is listed to remove 1200 grit marks, while PG is only "rated" for 1500 grit.

PG predates FG400, is an older/different abrasive package, and IMO is only still in the line because it's almost half the price of FG400.

PG is from the days when you would do a 3-step, compound, intermediate polish, and fine polish, because PG would leave hazing that wouldn't come out with a fine polish (back when Menzerna first gained traction on these kinds of forums, well over a decade ago, the protocol was PG, IP, FPII). With the advent of SMAT or whatever you want to call it, we got compounds like M105 and FG400 and of course others, that allow you to go right from the compound to a fine polish, or perhaps on hard, light color, right to LSP.

Setec Astronomy
01-19-2017, 09:07 AM
I still have an older bottle of Power Gloss that 1000 replaced and it's still 3/4 full.

Having said that, if I was ONLY working on my vehicle and found that to be the perfect product for the level of correction i might periodically need, i might try to get a 55 gallon barrel of it.

I will qualify my comments are made on the basis of the old Power Gloss; are you saying that there actually is a difference between the old Power Gloss, PG 1000, and "Heavy Cut 1000"? I always presumed the only difference was the label.

Paul A.
01-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Wait...is FG400 a SMAT abrasive?

Setec Astronomy
01-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Wait...is FG400 a SMAT abrasive?

Menz never used that term; I simply used that as a catch-all for the newer abrasives that have small, sharp particles, and don't rely on large particles which can leave marring or hazing before they break down (what we used to call rocks-in-a-bottle). It has been suggested that SMAT is more of a marketing term than an abrasive-industry one, however, the Meguiar's SMAT products ushered in a new era of abrasive technology.

Paul A.
01-19-2017, 09:41 AM
I gotcha, Setec.