PDA

View Full Version : Winter Road Salt

Pages : [1] 2

SabbyNJ
01-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Tried a new trick today, misted the vehicle with Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz before washing the vehicle. Let it get soaked into the crud, than foamed the vehicle followed by a wash. Really added some slickness which I wanted since I would be removing road salt from the winterized roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

briarpatch
01-15-2017, 10:12 PM
interesting idea...foamed with foam gun or cannon?

boomdone
01-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Personally, I've found that only pre treating with a salt emulsifier allows me to avoid dragging salt across the paint during a wash. But I also dont get many days where I can drag a hose out and do a full wash during the winter as well. Typically doing RW/WW in the garage.

fightnews
01-16-2017, 06:01 AM
i did a new trick to. i added about a half ounce of wolfgang uber to the soap bottle on my foam cannon and mixed it in with the soap and water

fightnews
01-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Personally, I've found that only pre treating with a salt emulsifier allows me to avoid dragging salt across the paint during a wash. But I also dont get many days where I can drag a hose out and do a full wash during the winter as well. Typically doing RW/WW in the garage.

what are you using for a salt emulsifier? take the car to the coin op pressure washer to do the heavy stuff and the wheel wells before doing the waterless thats what i do, next time i might just bring the waterless to the coin op place and wipe it down quick right there

SabbyNJ
01-16-2017, 06:20 AM
Foam Gun. Unfortunately I do not have a pressure washer, yet.

Also, I'm going to mix Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash with Auto Bathe and/or spray down the vehicle with Uber Rinseless in lieu of the Detail Spritz when I get in Uber Rinseless.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

VeloNYC
01-16-2017, 05:41 PM
what are you using for a salt emulsifier? take the car to the coin op pressure washer to do the heavy stuff and the wheel wells before doing the waterless thats what i do, next time i might just bring the waterless to the coin op place and wipe it down quick right there

And it cost $5 to wash the salt and dirt off, and ¢20 to bring a gallon (diluted in my case D114) waterless wash solution.

boomdone
01-16-2017, 06:56 PM

Whip's Wax. Hopefully PBMG will carry it one day. Doesn't harm your LSP. Sometimes I'll go to the coin op and spray it with WW then pressure wash clean. Then I'll go home and do RW in my garage with all the salt off my car.

kevincwelch
01-16-2017, 07:13 PM
Whip's Wax. Hopefully PBMG will carry it one day. Doesn't harm your LSP. Sometimes I'll go to the coin op and spray it with WW then pressure wash clean. Then I'll go home and do RW in my garage with all the salt off my car.

I've been eyeballing that road salt remover.

I basically do your routine - blast the car at the coin op and then take it home for the presoak and then RW. I can't say -- in my experience -- that not using a road salt remover is unsafe. I've been blasting my car at the coin op and doing the presoak/RW for a few years now and haven't noticed any swirling doing this. I have been using 840-1100 GSM towels and basically doing a single wipe with a single quarter on my DD. I use a lot of towels, but I think it saves the paint.

ScottH
01-16-2017, 09:16 PM
I do something similar - spray the car with waterless wash and let it sit - then hit it with a power washer and then wash with a rinseless or reg wash. Works very well and removes a lot of the salt before a wash mitt touches the car.

Yes this is using more product and thus more expensive too but it's only needed a few times a year.

ScottH

spazzz
01-16-2017, 10:17 PM

I use Salt-Away. Dapper Dan recommended it last year and I picked some up.

64oz for $40some. 2oz to a gallon in a pump sprayer. Yep

JET Fusion
08-05-2017, 08:20 PM
I use a similar technique. I mix Meg's Gold Class real heavy in a spray bottle then generously spray the whole vehicle. By the time I'm done, the salt and soap have become one and I use a garden hose to spray it, alternating between light misting, heavy spray, cascading water. Then wash by hand as usual.

This system works and start to finish takes less time than dragging out the pressure washer, setting up the soap mixture for foaming, foaming, pressure washing all of it off, then draining these hose and putting away the pressure washer. Then wash by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

UncleDavy
09-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Hey Jet. What is the mixture ratio for your Meguiars Gold Class? I am always concerned about salt on the vehicles in the winter. I can actually hear it eating the paint.

Britsdaddy
09-09-2017, 06:08 PM
It's still September. Can we not worry about road salt till December or so? Winter is long enough. But anyway, I'm lucky to find a coin wash still open around here after it gets below 25F or so. Pre soak in the garage with RW in a pump sprayer, then do a rinse less using either a lot of towels or rinsing the BRS out often

fightnews
02-04-2018, 11:19 AM
And it cost $5 to wash the salt and dirt off, and ¢20 to bring a gallon (diluted in my case D114) waterless wash solution.

So it's 5 dollars? That's pocket change who cares