PDA

View Full Version : So, How many times do you wash your car?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jmbrown415
01-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Quite curious about this one.

i guess it also depends where you live. I am keen to maintain my sealant and wax as much as I possibly can. I use ph neutral shampoo from autofinesse, lambs wool mitt and two drying towels that I dab and blot to dry, no swiping. Tend to wash my car every 3-4 weeks.

i live in London, rain, cold, snow, sun, cloud you name it.

how many times do you all wash and what shampoo do you use.

I try and avoid washing that regularly because even though my Audi paint is hard to cut it scratches ridiculously easily!!

PA DETAILER
01-15-2017, 08:48 AM
Spring/Summer/Fall Once a weekend. Foam gun with any quality soap/buckets/hand wash. Every wash is followed by a good drying aid/wax. Amazing how this last step prolongs your LSP. Good quality wash mitt. PA WINTERS....I really can't do much. I will look for break's in the weather and do a wash.

Helltopay
01-15-2017, 08:55 AM
When the weather allows, I try to wash both my car and truck once a week. I use Optimum Car Wash with about 1 ounce of ONR added to my wash bucket. My car stays in the garage and is rarely driven in the rain. I am lucky to also have garage parking at work, but my truck stays outside 24/7 unless I drive it to work. It has been my experience that the LSP on my car lasts much longer than the LSP on my truck even though they are washed with the same frequency using the same products. While I have no scientific basis for this opinion, it seems to me that the exposure to the outside elements does much more to degrade the LSP than the washing.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

LEDetailing
01-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Once a week when the weather is 45 degrees or higher. Right now I'm using Meguiars HW and a megs MF mitt. Rinseless washes occasionally. My new favorite summer wash is just rinseless washing the bugs off mirrors, windshield and front bumper . I will only do this type of rinseless when the rest of the car is too clean to legitimize washing the entire car.

I should say when the hose is still outside and temps allow. I have been known to get my hose out from the basement when temps rise into the 30's. Hose get put back inside due to extremely crappy cold temps. -10 degree F right now:(

Sharply Dressed
01-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Every week (both garage kept cars) and weather permitting on outside daily driver (1-2 monthly usually)

Klasse Act
01-15-2017, 09:35 AM
Right now, during the winter, I'm at once a week down in the garage but during the other 3 seasons it's 2-3 times a week and that varies between WW or RW based off conditions. I really like using WW on my car when it has days of dust on it or if it's driven in light rain and needs a cleaning. The RW is for when I drive in days of rain or right now in the winter. For winter washing, with a week's worth of salt and muck on the car, it gets a 2BM wash using my Aqua sponge and at times, a quick rinse at the quarter wash to rinse away that top layer and to get up in the wheelwells and up under the car. There are times during the winter where the GD method is also used, just comes down to situations.

Sorry that I went overboard on this, LOL.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

WaxMaster1
01-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Have you ever heard the term, "you're going to wash the paint off"? I don't want to be that guy.

Jmbrown415
01-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Have you ever heard the term, "you're going to wash the paint off"? I don't want to be that guy.

Think once a week is unrealistic for me to be honest. I concer regarding wax spray. Going to use bouncers done and dusted after washes now to add protection and maintain the shine. Has anyone got any experience with the product ? I hear it's incredible

spazzz
01-15-2017, 10:21 AM
This is currently from a Wisconsin winter perspective.
Generally I will do it on a weekend when I have time for my too much time car wash.
When a wet snow is followed by single digit cold you get a chance to see the dry salt and sand stuck everywhere.
I presoak underneath,wheel wells,engine bay, basically any where the pump sprayer wand reaches. Yesterday I did 2 Salt-Aways,1 D114 and 1 ONR.
I want the salt and sand soaking so it comes off with the pressure washer. Overkill maybe,,,nah

I was doing rinseless washes during winter but now I have decided to do 2 buckets in the garage.
Three Chenille wash mitts,one for the top, one for each side and DP turbo dryer to complete.
One Eagle Edgeless with Opti-seal for any remaining water, makes me giddy it's so easy.

There isn't a floor drain but nothing a squeegee can't take care of.
Recently I started using Optimum soap but totally forgot about adding an ounce of ONR until Helltopay mentioned it.

AND----Gloss Coat this year is making a huge difference in ease of cleaning.

kevincwelch
01-15-2017, 10:58 AM
I live down the street from Roger, and I can muster only once per month in the winter. But, during the spring, summer and fall, it's basically once per week with a more rinseless washes in the early spring and late fall. Try to foam and/or 2BW as much as possible in the summer.

Sent via my mobile device...

WillSports3
01-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Winter time, I rarely wash my car to be honest. Like a full on wash, most of the time I go to the quarter wash and pressure hose the undercarriage and the wheel wells, those areas that are gonna be affected by road salt the most. The paint.. eh. I didn't coat the car so I can feel the need to spray wax every other week. To me, if I coat the car and it can't stand up to one winter times worth of use, then I switch coatings in the spring basically. Too cold here for me to RW my car so I just do a touchless wash every so often, take it home and give it a quick wipe down with ONR or Wolfgang. It's winter time in Canada, my car won't be looking the way it does in the summer unless I'm willing to wash my car after every time I drive it. Summer time though, I RW it about once every two to three days mostly because of the rain we get. One car is dark blue and the other is a bright lustre of red, so it shows every drop of salt that we get.

virusn3t
01-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Winters here rarely are under -5°C, so, i wash my car once a week, just yesterday i wash, decontaminate with BDX and clay and put something of Gyeon Wet Coat.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

DetailZeus
01-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Winter time only when it gets tolerable

Wheels
Prewash
Pressure Rinse
2 bm
Pressure Rinse
Dry with spray-as-you-dry sealant

Summer about twice a month

Wheels
Prewash rocker panels, bugs, or skip if not needed
Pressure Rinse
If it's hot out i'll pull in the garage and do gdwm with rinseless instead of 2bm with shampoo
Dry as I go with spray-as-you-dry sealant

I don't save any time using rinseless with this method. I only do it because our water is really bad and washing in the garage in the summer helps prevent water spots.

fightnews
01-15-2017, 12:41 PM
once a week weather permitting

BudgetPlan1
01-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Spring, Summer & Fall: When it looks like it needs it; this summer was about once every 3 to 4 weeks.

Winter: If a nice 50+ degree day pops up they'll get a quick rinse/bucket wash. If no warm days I'll run em thru the basic touch less every month or so just to get undercarriage spray and remove salt residue if it's not gonna drop below freezing fora day.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk